Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 PM

93 posts, read 90,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Almost all Americans of slave decent are mixed race, to some extent or another.
But the vast majority of slave descendents in the U.S could never pass for anything but Black phenotype wise, so no blonde hair, light eyes, and fair skin like Marilyn220 claims.

That is why it is extremely easy for White police officers to racially profile Blacks, because African Americans are as a general rule quite easily distinguishable from Nonblacks just based on appearance alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:11 PM

297 posts, read 294,324 times
Quote:
During the slavery period, people were kept as "black" slaves with her same appearance. If that appearance did not keep her from being considered black and kept as a slave, why should black people not accept that appearance as "one of us" today?
And once slavery ended, those same very fair-skinned "black" people, passed as white, when they could.

Quote:
There are people with that appearance because of light-skinned blacks marrying light-skinned blacks for generations, and they have always identified as black through all those generations. Why should we not accept them today?
Most so called light skinned black people have biracial parents or they are the product of a white mom/black father or black mom/white father or their parents are of mixed ancestry.

Quote:
You don't understand how "race" has evolved in the US. Until quite recently, "race" in America has been a matter of "white" and "not white, " and of "not white" or even any public knowledge of any measure of "not white" in a person's background meant "not white," period, end of story. Being "more or less white" did not gain any acceptance from whites. There was no "colored" category in the US as there was in South Africa that officially provided a medium range of social privileges.
Well a new day is upon us. Perhaps it's time for bona fide black people to redefine what it means to be black. In truth, it's up to black people to determine this, not white people or biracial/mixed people.

On another note, many do not know that Melissa Perry (MSNBC host/Tulane Professor) is actually biracial (her mom is white). Most believe that her parents are just fair skinned. I attended a few of her lectures years ago, before she started working for MSNBC. Her natural hair is very straight, she basically looks very much like an ethnic white woman (without the Senegalese twists). But Melissa won't be seen w/out the twists and/or braids, because she wants to be perceived as a bona fide black woman while discussing black issues.

I just find it odd that actual black women are not allowed in this society to represent their own interest. Far too often, biracial, multiracial (and now white women) are selected to represent black women in the media and/or movies. When will this B.S. end?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Dropping the letter g in words that end with a g for example. I am surprised you have not noticed that Hillary Rodham and Barack Obama develop a different speech pattern when speaking in front of a audience that is mostly/entirely Black than they do when speaking in front of an audience that are mostly White.
I remember an old 60s cartoon of "The Beatles" singing group from England. Paul criticized Ringo: "You're always dropping your 'g's!'" Ringo counters, "I'm not always droppin' my 'g's?'"

Brits do it, too. Pesky g's.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:13 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Quote:
Because America is not becoming colorblind, it's merely creating more strata.
It's very sad to see this, because I thought all of this nonsense would have been dead or on its way out by now. For some reason, it seems the internet has made things worse. I'm going by many of the comments on CD alone when it comes to race and how ignorant and sheltered they sound. If I didn't know better, it would appear the only times they've ever seen a black person is on TV or at the airport checking their bags.

Quote:
For example, there are television casting calls where they specify the "ambiguous race" person, rather than being blind to whatever race the actor might be. Don't think young people aren't noticing that. It doesn't make being dark-skinned any more socially acceptable, it actually makes dark skin less acceptable.

Hollywood in general, loves to keep certain stereotypes alive. Yes, they've tried to clean it up, but it's still evident in many characters they like to portray. For example, Will Smith and Wesley Snipes will never again have black love interests for fear of being seen as "black" actors and to maintain A-list status. What's funny is that Morgan Freeman, Samuel Jackson and Denzel don't seem to fall into this crap and are still regarded as A-list.

Quote:
I don't have a solution, except to wait for Baby Boomers to die and see what comes next when the last generation born to racial segregation is dead.

^^THIS!! What's sad is that it was the sixties or "free love" generation that helped to knock down the shackles of racial separatism. We were supposed to be ushered in the AGE OF AQUARIUS, but certain powers that be have figured out ways to still keep us segregated, while still saying we're living in a "post-racial" society. Lol

Old 06-13-2015, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
And I honestly don't get how you can denounce this woman and in the same breath defend Jeb Bush claiming he is Latino. If you don't think he is doing that at least in part to pander to the Hispanic community (I.e. Personal gain) you're wrong. Rachel Dolezal also had a black husband and children. So basically if she spends a year in Africa and learns to speak an African language, she would be just as black as Jeb is Latino? And yes I know Latino isn't a race but he was not born and raised in a Latino household. So he is basically appropriating the culture for his own advantage the way Rachel Dolezal is.
How often has Jeb Bush claimed he is Hispanic? Can you provide a source?

I'll help you out here - he checked "hispanic" on ONE form. He hasn't built his life around a pack of deceit and misrepresentation.

Hell, I'm not even a Jeb Bush fan but even I can tell the difference between the two stories.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She was briefly married to a black man and they have one son.
Do you have a link to support that? I know she was briefly married to an AA man but I am having a hard time finding any evidence that they had a child together.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM

93 posts, read 90,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not only that, but my Nordic/Viking looking husband, with his chiseled features, straight blonde hair and blue eyes (who has often been mistaken for Nick Nolte in the past, which I always think is funny), is actually 3 percent Western African - we've both had our DNA tested. And me - with my kinky dark brown, thick coarse hair, dark brown eyes, full lips and pug nose - well, I am 98 percent European, 70 percent of that northern European, and the other 2 percent is what they call "DNA chatter" where they simply cannot tell what it is, and which just about everyone has. I'm the whitest person I know - and my Aryan looking husband actually has Native American, Jewish, and Western African ancestry.

So...yeah...you can't go by looks, but you can go by the truth. And the truth is, this crazy woman knew that she wasn't African American. She knew she was lying about hate crimes and her "son" and her "dad."

It's ridiculous.
Quote:
Not only that, but my Nordic/Viking looking husband, with his chiseled features, straight blonde hair and blue eyes (who has often been mistaken for Nick Nolte in the past, which I always think is funny), is actually 3 percent Western African
The average African American is 80 percent Sub Saharan African and your husband is only 3 percent Sub Saharan African. At only 1/32 Negro ancestry, were you really expecting your husband to look like Cedric The Entertainer . That is like expecting someone who is only 3 percent European to look like Chris Pratt.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM

31,022 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
A liberal college professor that's a total, complete, 100% fake toolbag? No way!

But other than her being a liar, why does it matter if she's white?
A liberal who tells one lie after the next and is still not held accountable. Say it isn't so.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
How often has Jeb Bush claimed he is Hispanic? Can you provide a source?

I'll help you out here - he checked "hispanic" on ONE form. He hasn't built his life around a pack of deceit and misrepresentation.

Hell, I'm not even a Jeb Bush fan but even I can tell the difference between the two stories.
Well you just admitted that at least one time he did it. I don't know of any others but it's still deception. And of course rest assured he will use that to his advantage in the upcoming election.

I mean, I spent six months in Spain, I speak fluent Spanish and I even have a Mexican boyfriend. I guess I should call my university and tell them I was actually Hispanic the whole time and see if I can get any diversity back pay.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:20 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
But the vast majority of slave descendents in the U.S could never pass for anything but Black phenotype wise, so no blonde hair, light eyes, and fair skin like Marilyn220 claims.

That is why it is extremely easy for White police officers to racially profile Blacks, because African Americans are as a general rule quite easily distinguishable from Nonblacks just based on appearance alone.
It means there are a few people who identify as black but yet manage to escape those police officer's profile.

So what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events