Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 03:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You honestly can't see the difference?

Vin Diesel doesn't identify who his real father is but has clearly stated that his bio dad's relationship with his mother would have been illegal at the time, so clearly he's not a white dude. Also, he was raised by his white mom and his African American stepfather. And he doesn't appear to do anything cosmetic to change his skin tone, hair (haha), etc. He is what he is.

Jeb Bush is married to a Mexican woman, and their kids are biracial. In fact, his children are Latino. He and his Mexican wife actually lived in Venezuela for several years. He speaks fluent Spanish. He has checked "Hispanic" ONE time that anyone can actually dig up, on a voting form. He hasn't built his whole life around a series of lies and ambiguity.

And furthermore - Hispanic isn't a "race."

This woman can self identify all she likes with whatever group she likes -but she needs to build her own credibility and career with honesty, not on a series of lies.
And I honestly don't get how you can denounce this woman and in the same breath defend Jeb Bush claiming he is Latino. If you don't think he is doing that at least in part to pander to the Hispanic community (I.e. Personal gain) you're wrong. Rachel Dolezal also had a black husband and children. So basically if she spends a year in Africa and learns to speak an African language, she would be just as black as Jeb is Latino? And yes I know Latino isn't a race but he was not born and raised in a Latino household. So he is basically appropriating the culture for his own advantage the way Rachel Dolezal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,357,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Actually there was a whole lot of Black-White interaction involved in Spanish colonization, especially in the Northern coasts of South America, parts of Central America. and the Caribbean.

But there are plenty of Blacks in Spanish speaking countries like Cuba and Panama. Mexico does not make up the entire geographic region of Spanish speaking Latin America.

The Cuban national female volleyball team in the Olympics for example looks as Black as the WNBA.
I get all this, and don't get the relevance. I never claimed there was no black-Spanish interaction, I just said it wasn't the norm. There are far more people living in Mexico than in all of the Carribean, and South America and Central America has (and had) far more people of indigenous descent than those of African descent.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_kirk View Post
during the slavery period, people were kept as "black" slaves with her same appearance. If that appearance did not keep her from being considered black and kept as a slave, why should black people not accept that appearance as "one of us" today?

There are people with that appearance because of light-skinned blacks marrying light-skinned blacks for generations, and they have always identified as black through all those generations. Why should we not accept them today?

you don't understand how "race" has evolved in the us. Until quite recently, "race" in america has been a matter of "white" and "not white, "

[/end thread]

Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM

93 posts, read 90,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
What does "sounding Black" mean?
Dropping the letter g in words that end with a g for example. I am surprised you have not noticed that Hillary Rodham and Barack Obama develop a different speech pattern when speaking in front of a audience that is mostly/entirely Black than they do when speaking in front of an audience that are mostly White.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:01 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
What do you mean by this? Do you think biracial or multiracial people should choose "one race or the other" to identify with or to label themselves for the comfort of others? Not saying that's what you think, but I'm asking for clarification.

What's your solution to the issue, if you think the issue isn't going to get any better if mixed race people identify as mixed race? How do you think they should self identify and why is this a better solution?
Because America is not becoming colorblind, it's merely creating more strata.

For example, there are television casting calls where they specify the "ambiguous race" person, rather than being blind to whatever race the actor might be. Don't think young people aren't noticing that. It doesn't make being dark-skinned any more socially acceptable, it actually makes dark skin less acceptable.

My lord, now we have this new absurd thing among kids of "multi-generational mixed." Beyonce is "multigenerational-mixed." It also apparently includes my light-skinned daughter, even though it's been no less than three generations since anyone not "mostly black" has been on either side of her family tree. Her skin color was nothing but a roll of the genetic dice. But all it does is create reasons for further social discrimination.

I don't have a solution, except to wait for Baby Boomers to die and see what comes next when the last generation born to racial segregation is dead.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-13-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM

258 posts, read 157,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There are 60 million blacks here.

You're telling me that 500k created 60 million all these many years later?

Okay, you really don't have to answer that and it was way more than 11 million blacks that made the transatlantic voyage.
I won't go into any details on how you make more people (although I think the 2010 census shows 39M blacks in the US), but I'll google for a second....

from How Many Slaves Came to America? Fact vs. Fiction - The Root

"And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That's right: a tiny percentage. "

Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times
Quote:
Dropping the letter g in words that end with a g for example. I am surprised you have not noticed that Hillary Rodham and Barack Obama develop a different speech pattern when speaking in front of a audience that is mostly/entirely Black than they do when speaking in front of an audience that are mostly White.
Seriously dude?

See? This is what I mean about the YOUNGER generation not giving a crap about these things, because I've heard white, hispanic and other nationalities talk like this with NO BLACK PERSON around. Just them and peers from their respective cultures.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
You mean there are many Mixed Race people who look like that. Black people don't have very fair skin and blond hair unless they are Black Albinos.
Almost all Americans of slave decent are mixed race, to some extent or another.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Her parents come from European stock. Per her parents, there's no African ancestry in the family ... no 2% African American anywhere.
Not only that, but my Nordic/Viking looking husband, with his chiseled features, straight blonde hair and blue eyes (who has often been mistaken for Nick Nolte in the past, which I always think is funny), is actually 3 percent Western African - we've both had our DNA tested. And me - with my kinky dark brown, thick coarse hair, dark brown eyes, full lips and pug nose - well, I am 98 percent European, 70 percent of that northern European, and the other 2 percent is what they call "DNA chatter" where they simply cannot tell what it is, and which just about everyone has. I'm the whitest person I know - and my Aryan looking husband actually has Native American, Jewish, and Western African ancestry.

So...yeah...you can't go by looks, but you can go by the truth. And the truth is, this crazy woman knew that she wasn't African American. She knew she was lying about hate crimes and her "son" and her "dad."

It's ridiculous.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,964,895 times
Quote:
That's not her son - it's her adopted brother, from what I understand. I don't believe she actually has any kids. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
She was briefly married to a black man and they have one son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events