Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:03 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

man please, my kids knew how to break in when they lost a key- and when we lived in an apt bld- they go see the manager- Was the boy crying or anxious?- I am a defender of children 100%- but not raising woozies who later in life have to carry 80 lbs in some foreign dessert to defend your freedom! Butt out neighbor ! 11 yr old-- he stayed in his yard-knows what to do if need help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh good Lord. I played outside by myself for hours at that age. What a dipstick of a neighbor. Invite the boy in for a lemonade if you are so worried about him!
No kidding! Do something positive about the situation.

The neighbor is bad enough, but what cop in his right mind arrests the parents in this situation? Total nanny-state bureaucratic overreach. Perfect example of why so many people no longer trust or respect law enforcement.

I played alone for hours outside as a kid. This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
I was a latchkey kid growing up and my neighbors offered to "babysit" me after school until my parents arrived from work.

We built trust, friendship and loyalty with our neighbors back in the day.

These days, it's tough to trust anybody. Even your neighbors, with your kids.
Says who? All it takes is a little effort to get to know your neighbors. People didn't suddenly turn into monsters in the past 20 years. I think the Internet and 24-hour news have skewed people's perceptions into thinking there's a criminal hiding behind every tree.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
yes, bad bad.. government...

but why didn't the kid have a key to the house or a garage door code???

My kids, younger than 11 have a house key in case they get home before me.. which happens almost every day!

Still, NUTS!

Another good point, my neighbors have my cell phone number, at least most do and on more than one occasion i got a call saying my daughter was at their house because she lost her key or left it at home that day..
The kid is 11. It's quite possible that he lost/forgot his key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I hate nosey neighbors.

But that kid should have a key to get inside.
The kid probably lost/forgot the key. I hope the parents put an electronic keypad lock on the back door (or something). When I was a kid and I lost my key, I just opened the back window and climbed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'd sue the shyt out of the neighbor after I beat their ass in
Agreed (except for the beating the neighbor)! They don't know which neighbor oped their big fat mouth, but they said they have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
did the concerned police officer offer to let the poor boy sit in the safety of his patrol car while waiting for the parents?
Actually, the police officer left the kid in the patrol car ALONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Im not one for sueing, Im really not. But I would sue the crap out of the PD when the dust settles. There was no grounds to be arrested. The boy is 11 years old for Pete's sake, not 4. He's more than capable to fend for himself, and heaven forbid, wait around for 90 minutes for his parents to show up. And that nosy neighbor of theirs needs a swift kick in the taco for being such a wench.
Agreed! The neighbor could've and should've offered that the kid come over. If the kid wasn't comfortable doing so, they should've brought the kid a drink and a snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This will almost certainly be thrown out. No reasonable district attorney would press on with this... and no reasonable judge or jury would convict.
Hopefully, but then again this is Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
After re-reading the story, I wonder if it's even true. It's posted to a libertarian-type blog and everyone's name was changed. It seems like something like this would have made the local paper. When you click on the link for more verification, it takes you to an advertisement and then to a story with the first page of a legal document will all identifying info redacted. While juvenile adjudications would be sealed, I don't think an accusation of felony neglect of a child would be sealed.
I see where you're coming from, but the mom wanted her identity (which is why the site blacked out the personal info) because she feared she was going to lose her job.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I guess my parents were too lax. At 8, I would take off and walk to the lake and fish or grab my 22 and hunt rabbits. As long as I was home for supper.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
When I was a kid, I used to go on day hikes by myself on the trails behind our house. We lived in the mountains. It turned into a life-long passion that I enjoy immensely to this day. I hate to think what the police and no-good, nosey neighbors would have done. It's amazing just how much people can suck.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh good Lord. I played outside by myself for hours at that age. What a dipstick of a neighbor. Invite the boy in for a lemonade if you are so worried about him!
Exactly, all she had to do was keep watch over the boy and offer him food and drinks, or allow him into her home to watch tv until his parents got home. Seems like that is what a good neighbor would have done instead of calling the cops .

Old 06-15-2015, 07:02 PM

641 posts, read 240,565 times
There is an actual movement called "Free Range Kids" which promotes allowing children the freedom from being constantly monitored by a parent/caregiver when age appropriate. The safety of our children is of utmost importance, but overprotection has very serious consequences in the child's overall development.

The neighbor in this story was in the wrong to not find out if there was anything she could do for the boy. Calling the police was certainly not being helpful.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This will almost certainly be thrown out. No reasonable district attorney would press on with this... and no reasonable judge or jury would convict.
Please read the article. They absolutely did get charged, there children were removed by CPS from their home and there is so much they have had to go through....and are still going through. What a nightmare. They still don't know who called the police.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
From what I just read on line, the kids are back with their parents, but the parents have to go back to court at the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events