Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 03:33 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
Arab gulf countries are known to have the most obese people in the world, it’s not Alabama or Mississippi.
Actually Pacific island nations like Samoa and Tonga have the highest obesity rates in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 03:39 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, I have. In both Ireland and Scotland. They're not as many of them and it still doesn't change the fact that you don't a lot of obese people over there as you do here.

That's the truth, I guess some Americans don't want to hear that.

Last trip I was gone for a month, when I came back I was at my local Target and took a good look around and took notice of how many people were overweight, and I don't mean just a few pounds. The sad thing was many were in their 20s or 30s.

And I live in Southern CA, where people tend to be more health conscious than other parts of the country.

I don't know why people are taking it so personally. We are huge as a nation and it is getting worse. I have worked in nursing homes for 20 years. When I first started, we would need an extra wide w/c or extra wide bed rarely, now we have 5 or 6 chairs so wide they don't even fit in the bathroom doorways, and there is always a quest to find another one for another new obese patient who gets admitted for rehab.

As a country, obesity costs us a fortune, much, much more than drug abuse ever did, and it kills many, many more people than drug abuse ever did, yet people don't seem to see it as a "we need to do something about this" type of problem like they do drug abuse.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know why people are taking it so personally. We are huge as a nation and it is getting worse. I have worked in nursing homes for 20 years. When I first started, we would need an extra wide w/c or extra wide bed rarely, now we have 5 or 6 chairs so wide they don't even fit in the bathroom doorways, and there is always a quest to find another one for another new obese patient who gets admitted for rehab.

As a country, obesity costs us a fortune, much, much more than drug abuse ever did, and it kills many, many more people than drug abuse ever did, yet people don't seem to see it as a "we need to do something about this" type of problem like they do drug abuse.
I’ve seen the same. I used to work for a radiology center. We started having to ask patients their weight before scheduling an MRI or CT because most of the machines were only capable of holding 250 pounds or so. We had to buy a specialized opened MRI machine that had capacity up to 500 pounds. That wasn’t a cheap purchase.

A colleague of mine went to visit her boyfriend in Morocco and said
You lose weight without even trying because the food is so pure” They also drink a lot of green tea.

Nutritional education and access to fruits and vegetables, especially greens is important. If we are going to continue with farm subsidies, I think they should be for smaller farmers that grow things other than wheat soy and corn.

They need to require home economics like we had in the 70’s and 80’s. They taught how to cook, how to write a budget, and how to balance a checkbook, etc. So many people don’t know how to cook.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:33 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
I'm sure this has been said but there is no way I can read this entire thread to catch up so I'll just say it even if it is a repeat.

The citizens of the UK probably are not quite as hefty as Americans because they have bad teeth and problems eating many foods.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I'm sure this has been said but there is no way I can read this entire thread to catch up so I'll just say it even if it is a repeat.

The citizens of the UK probably are not quite as hefty as Americans because they have bad teeth and problems eating many foods.
What the heck are you TALKING about? Most Brits don’t get cosmetic dentistry like we do, but the teeth are still perfectly functional.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Yes, it is.

I remember seeing on the national news early on in the election the reporter was broadcasting from the Iowa State Fair, you could see the people walking in the background. I couldn't get over the size of the people, the majority of them were not just heavy but very obese.

People can deny it, but you don't see in Europe like you do here.

If you look at old news footage from the 60s and 70s in America, you see people who are normal weight.

You're right, it costs a fortune, we now have kids who are getting diabetes early on.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
That's a very small number compared to the US. There were 14,146 McDonald's restaurants in the United States in 2016 and 1,450 McDonald's restaurants in Canada.
Canada's population is 36 million, US is 330 million. We'll let you ponder on that for a bit.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Canada's population is 36 million, US is 330 million. We'll let you ponder on that for a bit.
14,146 in USA for 330,000,000 people or 1 McDonalds for every 23,328 people.

1,450 in Canada for 36,290,000 people or 1 McDonalds for every 25,027 people.

1,249 in UK for 65,640,000 people or 1 McDonalds for every 52,554 people.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Yes, I have. In both Ireland and Scotland. They're not as many of them and it still doesn't change the fact that you don't a lot of obese people over there as you do here.
So "not as many of them" somehow validates the previous claim that fast food restaurants are few and far between or absent n most European cities, and that they are only there for American and Canadian tourists? There being less is something totally different. There are thousands upon thousands of American fast food restaurants in Europe.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Ireland. For your convenience here is a map of the 25 McDonald's locations in and around Dublin.

Quote:
That's the truth, I guess some Americans don't want to hear that
This American is fine with the truth, which sure isn't what was provided. It's kind of cute the way you are trying to spin it as the fault of others who don't want to listen when it was a ridiculous (and easily proven false) statement about fast food chains in Europe.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
French are sometimes fat but embarrassed by it Americans a righteously fat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events