Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 07:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,151,645 times

Advertisements

It makes them feel better about themselves, lol.

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...87a7e9eaa1.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Answer: Europeans are hypocrites

Plenty of fat ones there and they all smoke like chimneys. Ironically the American ciggies are their favorite.
your not kidding, in the mid 70's we visited our relatives in the former yugoslavia, even though I was just 15 my relatives were surprised I wasnt smoking!!!!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:47 PM

776 posts, read 395,567 times
Obesity, fear of teenagers drinking, and fear of sexuality have all spread to Europe. I wonder why.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:52 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,586,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is true, but we're catching up fast. I returned from holiday in Tunisia a few weeks ago, and I would say most Brits are overweight, not all, but most. This included the young ones which I found quite shocking. When I was a young man in the 70s, most young people were very slim.

On this holiday I noticed the Germans are quite heavy also, but the French mainly slim. Almost all the Tunisian young people were slim.

We're off to Greece in a few days, and on previous visits I have noticed many of their young people are overweight. This wasn't the case when we first visited that country 25 years ago. So America isn't on it's own with weight problems.
Yes, it is a global problem, more advanced in some places than in others. I too have noticed changes in Europe and in Asia over the past 30+ years.

When I first arrived in Asia (East Asia) in the mid 1980s almost nobody was even a bit heavy. East Asians are still far thinner than Americans, but, even they have got fatter over the years, and it is most noticeable in the children today.

I was in Spain and The Netherlands this past June and most people there were reasonably fit. But, I did notice some young women wearing clothes that may have been a bit too tight for them (IMO).

The first thing I notice, though, on trips back to the US, is just how large many Americans are. Going from East Asia to the US is an eye-opening experience in terms of different body shapes and sizes!

Perhaps we should all be studying the French diet and lifestyle!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid, it was dinner eaten, then out to play for a while with friends. Running everywhere. At the same time our diet was high in fat. Plenty of french fries and meat puddings, fried fish, meat pies........ the list goes on. But, we were skinny kids.
I'm in my mid 50s. When I look at my old school class photos, most kids were skinny and maybe there would be one fat kid in the class. Now, it seems as if the skinny kids are the odd ones out!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
In Europe there is less of a culture of fat.
Same in East Asia.

Most East Asians are terrified of getting fat, while back in the US we have people advocating acceptance of fat bodies and nonsense assertions that fat people are generally fit and healthy.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 AM

18,537 posts, read 18,782,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Most people are unaware that the increase in obesity is in fact a global problem.
ITs the junk being allowed to go into many foods by our governments too ...

Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,383,332 times
Quote:
From my own observations on visits to America. You folks are morbidly obese.......... we're merely obese. But we're catching up with ya!.........
Saw something in a humorous book once.

Definition of overweight ... your excess poundage.

Definition of obesity .... someone else's.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,045,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Most people are unaware that the increase in obesity is in fact a global problem.
Obesity, and its complications, are a cash cow for the big pharamceutical companies. They work in conjunction with food providers to concoct appetite-increasing chemicals that are put into grain feeds for cattle, and into dna of seeds for crops.

A healthy, well-educated population makes ZERO money for corporations like Con-Agra, Monsanto, Astra-Zeneca, or Pfizer.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:55 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Obesity, and its complications, are a cash cow for the big pharamceutical companies. They work in conjunction with food providers to concoct appetite-increasing chemicals that are put into grain feeds for cattle, and into dna of seeds for crops.

A healthy, well-educated population makes ZERO money for corporations like Con-Agra, Monsanto, Astra-Zeneca, or Pfizer.
This is why Europe is anti-GMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events