Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,517,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why Europe is anti-GMO.
Is it ?
Most Europeans I know don't really have an opinion either way.
It seems to me the production of disease-resistant crops requiring less pesticides can only be a good thing,especially in poor,undeveloped countries.
In my experience most people who are strongly anti-GM come from a relatively affluent background who can afford to make lifestyle choices based on thinly-researched fashionable causes.
Nothing like a bit of virtue-signalling over their expensive free-trade skinny latte at Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 02:55 AM

27,221 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why Europe is anti-GMO.
There is no evidence that some GMO products are good for us, in fact in some cases they are actually less nutritional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Friends of the Earth says: We have a right to food that is good for our bodies and our environment. Numerous studies show that genetically engineered foods can pose serious risks to both.

Michael Hansen, a senior scientist at Consumers Union, has testified : The US does not require genetically engineered plants to be proven safe before they go on the market.

The Organic Consumers Association says GM crops : Can be toxic, allergenic or less nutritious than their natural counterparts.

Why NGOs can't be trusted on GMOs | Guardian Sustainable Business

As for obesity, the UK is cutting the size of meals, incresing taxes on unhealthy products and sugar, making labels clearer in relation to products including calorie content and encouraging exercise through schools and the National Health Service.

Obesity - Treatment - NHS Choices

Calories in popular foods must be cut, say health officials - BBC News

Pizzas and ready meals set to shrink in Government war on obesity - Telegraph

Sugar tax: How will it work? - BBC News

10 chocolate products which have quietly become smaller or more expensive

National school exercise scheme launched in bid to tackle childhood obesity - Telegraph

Link Calories to Minutes of Exercise on Food Labels, says health body - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-20-2017 at 03:22 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 04:20 AM

5,510 posts, read 3,943,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There is no evidence that some GMO products are good for us, in fact in some cases they are actually less nutritional.

As for obesity, the UK is cutting the size of meals, incresing taxes on unhealthy products and sugar, making labels clearer in relation to products including calorie content and encouraging exercise through schools and the National Health Service.

Obesity - Treatment - NHS Choices

Calories in popular foods must be cut, say health officials - BBC News

Pizzas and ready meals set to shrink in Government war on obesity - Telegraph

Sugar tax: How will it work? - BBC News

10 chocolate products which have quietly become smaller or more expensive

National school exercise scheme launched in bid to tackle childhood obesity - Telegraph

Link Calories to Minutes of Exercise on Food Labels, says health body - The Guardian
we're living in a brave new world where every post must contain at least 7 links

Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
we're living in a brave new world where every post must contain at least 7 links
If it's in a link it must be true ...

The only evidence I can produce is what I see on arrival at US airports.
Double-wide wheelchairs which I don't see anywhere in Europe.
The bottom line is many of us are heavier than we should be but life without good food and nice wine is unbearable for some of us.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You are not forced to read them, however I like to provide at least some substance in relation to obesity rather than ill informed opinion and in terms of GTO, there have been numerous articles.

If you don't provide evidence of how obesity is being tackled then you are often just going to express ill informed opinion without proper debate, which is what is currently happening in parts of the world even in relation to statues.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
If it's in a link it must be true ...

The only evidence I can produce is what I see on arrival at US airports.
Double-wide wheelchairs which I don't see anywhere in Europe.
The bottom line is many of us are heavier than we should be but life without good food and nice wine is unbearable for some of us.
The links are in relation to changing laws and public policy in relation to obesity, as for GTO the Guardian article itself includes links to scientific reports and analysis.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The links are in relation to changing laws and public policy in relation to obesity, as for GTO the Guardian article itself includes links to scientific reports and analysis.
Is there a link in there to confirm your assertion that there is no evidence that a genetically-modified tomato grown without the use of pesticide is good for a person ?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times
yes, I was pretty shocked when I went back home to the uk to see so many overweight and obese people, but still nothing compared to what I see here in parts of the usa. still it won't be long before people in the uk catch up.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM

490 posts, read 585,263 times
You want to see some fatties? Then check out the Wal-Mart in Robertsdale Alabama! Wow, this Wal-Mart blows every other obese Wal-Mart America store away. Its on US59 south of I-10 headed towards gulf shores.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Is there a link in there to confirm your assertion that there is no evidence that a genetically-modified tomato grown without the use of pesticide is good for a person ?
The Guardian Article is well balanced if you read it giving both sides of the debate. Whilst in the past there have been some documented problems relating to GM Food, meaning that caution and proper oversight must be the order of the day.

GM crops created superweed, say scientists - Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-21-2017 at 03:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events