Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,131,677 times

Advertisements

It's really sad that the "not to scale" legend is necessary.

What are you guys gloating about? Don't all European countries listed have materially lower obesity rate? If you want to congratulate ourselves on being only within 5-10% of the Europeans, go nuts.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
C-D is the first time I ever heard that Brits with bad teeth was considered a thing.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 PM

27,221 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
C-D is the first time I ever heard that Brits with bad teeth was considered a thing.
It's just a daft, tired and outdated sterotype.

In terms of the US different parts of the country have different levels of obesity, highest rates of obesity being in the South and Midwest.

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,053,779 times
in America, everytime i see the portion sizes when i cross the border, they blow me away. i can never come close to finishng mmy plate.

the servers always think i didnt enjoy my meal, when it's the simple fact they're serving me 2 meals. lol

lots of countries are having obesity problems but i havent seen portion problems like i have in the states.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 AM

18,536 posts, read 18,782,257 times
On our visits to Florida 15 years ago.. I had never seen food on plates so big... I ordered French toast, and only french toast.. it came with sugar on top.. three slice of bacon , two eggs and sausage...but seriously it makes you wonder what exactly is put into all that fast food junk... Everything over there is mega size in food... saw one man tuck into a pile of pancakes covered in syrup for breakfast, unheard of here..although Scotland is known for its sweet tooth in food so we cant really talk.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
in America, everytime i see the portion sizes when i cross the border, they blow me away. i can never come close to finishng mmy plate.

the servers always think i didnt enjoy my meal, when it's the simple fact they're serving me 2 meals. lol

lots of countries are having obesity problems but i havent seen portion problems like i have in the states.
It's true. I don't wish to jump on the stereotypical Americans eat too much...but yeah, the portions are generally huge, especially in chain restaurants. I eat part and have the rest boxed up to bring home. Biggest portions I've ever seen come from the Cheesecake Factory! Can get three or four meals out of one order from there.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:05 AM

6 posts, read 6,561 times
I'm brand new here. I'm an American living in Ireland as such I've seen both sides. Maybe the europeans think American obesity is funnier than european. They're always making fun of American tourists; their obesity, clothing (matching shoes or jackets). I think there's a bit of envy in the fun-poking. Americans always seem to have a sense of themselves even when they're lost or in a strange place. People ain't much different, no matter where they live.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 AM

658 posts, read 723,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Answer: Europeans are hypocrites

Plenty of fat ones there and they all smoke like chimneys. Ironically the American ciggies are their favorite.
And some countries like drinking. A LOT. A lot of drinking and getting drunk and drunkenness and filtering alcohol through their kidneys and liver.

But let's talk about the fatties because you know, fat driving kills. Oh wait a min..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 AM

27,221 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty

Europeans are hypocrites

Plenty of fat ones there and they all smoke like chimneys. Ironically the American ciggies are their favorite.
Cigarettes are heavily taxed in Europe and as in America are banned in Bars, Restaurants and Public Places. In terms of drinking rates, Eastern Europe has the highest rates, as well as some Northern European Countries.

Cigarette Use Globally | The Tobacco Atlas

List of Countries By Alcohol Consumption Per Capita - Wiki

Smoking falls to lowest level in UK since recording started in 1940s - The Guardian

Is smoking finally on its way to being stubbed out? - Telegraph

In terms of the UK, smoking and drinking have declined significantly in recent years.

Why have we fallen out of love with booze? - Telegraph

Binge drinking in decline among young adults | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

The rise of the young non-drinkers - BBC News

The strange death of boozy Britain: why are young people drinking less?

End of 'Booze Britain'? Youngsters turning their backs on binge drinking with 40% surge in teetotal teens and students | Daily Mail Online

Drop in binge drinking leads to 10% fewer injuries due to serious violence | Society | The Guardian

Young people ditch binge drinking and boozing over fears of being 'cyber shamed' on social media | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-15-2016 at 01:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events