Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times

Advertisements

Overall the Yanks are still the champs - but there's no room for complacency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Nice to see this old thread has been regurgitated......... The government in the UK is trying to get a handle on this problem. It's difficult, but at least they're trying............

https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...healthy-eating

Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,508 times
First of all, I agree that gaining weight for individuals is a globalized issue (or at least, first world issue).

And I've never seen so many "gigantic" people as I have in the USA, except maybe in a Sumo game (please, a little bit of humor ).

Anyway, I've also never been to the Samoa islands

I can't talk for all of Europe ( although I also know quite well the culture of Belgium and Italy, having lived on the very near border of both) so I'll stik to my country.

There is a factor really pregnant here, that (unless I missed it) hasn't been mentionned at all in the whole thread.

We still and continually do what Americans call "fat shaming". It will start as soon as you have 3/5 pounds too much, even as a kid or a growing teenager Not in a mean way, more in a joking way, but you can't ignore the real meaning. It starts with your parents but even a total stranger may stop you in the street and tell you to lay that croissant off.

While I understand that it makes/ccan make for a weird relationship for your body, it also means that there is a "standard" that is not to be lost and having only 5 pounds to lose is WAY EASIER than 150. You don't even have to make an effort actually, just be careful for a few weeks.

I also think, as in Italy, we eat more seasonnally, still cook much more often at home, fresher produce and a lot of the crap that is sold in many places is simply forbidden here (the crap that is actually sold IS OBLIGED BY LAW to tell very clearly on their label what it contains).

Another cliche : nobody has cars so we walk everywhere.

Not true. Almost everyone has a car (except single people in big cities), we city people just tend to use them less because there's always a baker or butcher not far and public transportation is quite efficient so we walk without noticing or use one of the free-renting bike more and more cities are offering as a system. Cars are for the week-ends.

I would tend to think that city people walk much more as it's more convenient than driving but cook less as they have bigger hours to fill (commutes, etc). Country people walk less, they need their car for errands, but they tend to have more time in the day to keep a vegetable garden for example and cook both meals of the day rather than eat a quick sandwich at lunch.

It balances that way between city and small towns/country people.

But really, the fat shaming is also a if not THE major factor. French women are supposedly amongst the thinnest in Europe but would you believe more than 3/4 of them think they could lose a few?

Is that a good thing or not, I don't know, it's so ingrained in my system. All I can say is it never made me ill at ease, or just enough to rectify my ways when subjected to it. But if not the truth, at least it's my truth.

I think Italian people have a culture that resembles it so maybe someone would like to chime in?

Also children canteens are not at all the same. Children eat for 40 minutes with no choice in what they get (except when you're an older teenager and then it's only a choice between two courses equally verified by a dietetician), "lunch ladies" showing them how to use a fork and knife from the age of 3, taking their time ad only water served. Salad is always served, some kind of meat, starch and vegetables, and then either cheese (my 3 years old niece loves brie and roquefort) or dessert, unless it's a yogourt and fruit.

Not to give lessons because I can't ignore that obesity is also growing here but I think there are more reasons to French don't get fat than a nationality of origin, it's cultural.

I also believe we're all to face this (monsanto and all) worsening of our food in the next decades. Let's learn from each other rather than oppose rivalries.

Have fun!

ETA : as others have mentionned, these stats aren't really accurate as they don't distinct between the levels of obesity.

Last edited by personne; 04-25-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Nice to see this old thread has been regurgitated......... The government in the UK is trying to get a handle on this problem. It's difficult, but at least they're trying............

https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...healthy-eating
The British Government has just taken action by putting taxes on sugary drinks after being advised to do so by medical professionals.

Sugar tax could prevent obesity in almost 4 million people, charities say | Society | The Guardian

Sugary drinks tax 'would stop millions becoming obese' - BBC News

Sugar tax could prevent 3.7 million cases of obesity over next decade | Cancer Research UK

However it now faces being sued by drinks manufacturers.

Sugar tax legal challenge: George Osborne says 'bring it on' - BBC News

Drinks makers consider legal action against sugar tax | Business | The Guardian

Sugar tax: soft drinks makers including Coca-Cola consider suing the Government | Business News | News | The Independent

Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Yeah..... the sugar Barons aren't happy!!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:58 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
We can't tax our way out of this one. Eating is a basic function, and how we do it is a personal responsibility. It is so fundamental that it is part of who we are and if an adult is going to feel fine with getting fat and staying fat, then that is what they want to be and they will find a way to do it.

While government taxes cigs to the moon, hardcore smokers still do it. What works better is smoker shaming, the ick factor. Yet we won't do it with dangerous eating/weight habits. It starts in the brain, if a person feels fine with fat, big is beautiful, etc, why should they change anything.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:19 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,384 times
Actually we CAN tax our way out of this.

Let me repeat that for you too.

WE CAN TAX OUR WAY OUT OF THIS!!

Simply add a tax to unhealthy foods , the more refined and nasty the higher the tax.

Now use that money and more to reduce the cost of high quality foods.

We could start by simply subsiding healthy foods instead of corn and beef, and placing a high tax on the worst foods.

Currently it is cheaper to buy processed frozen fries in my area than it is to buy fresh potatoes! it is cheaper to buy a frozen dinners than it is to buy the basic ingredients. How on earth is a mom struggling going to pay for high quality food when the high salt, shelf stable box of rice and additives is half the money, cooks fast and fills everyone up.

I have to shop in three different supermarkets to get reasonable quality food at a fair price. We very much can tax away the pounds but the problem is too many people will claim it is their right to place a huge burden on our healthcare system by eating garbage day after day .

If I sat there and ate poison I would get locked up , but I can sit there and eat pound after pound of highly refined carbohydrates /sugars and fats and nobody blinks an eye.

I believe if we can tax tobacco we can tax junk food and we can offer incentives to be healthy. ie perhaps a CC based point system where healthy food purchases can be applied as tax credits, or food stamps or some other method that rewards people who buy healthy choices.

so yes we can tax away weight but it requires a lot more than just slapping a tax on sugar...

Old 04-26-2016, 07:19 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,665 times
sad just sad, now pass me that cheeseburger.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
All I know is that when we went to the UK last year most of the people looked like people here USED to look back in the 1960s-70s. The men, especially--I had forgotten that men used to look like that. They looked good.

Then, at the airport on the way home, you could tell the American men as they looked like big blocks. I mean, there were as wide as they were tall. No shape to them just blocks.

The only fat people I ever saw in the UK were those who were coming out of MacDonald's with their arms full of junk food.

It's the junk food, both fast food chains and the junk that's available in the grocery stores. That's what's done it. Over in the UK I never saw that much in the grocery stores and at least a lot of the unhealthy additives are banned.

It's mostly the junk food here in the US and the long hours with hardly any vacation--no time to cook, always too tired. So they get take out junk food or nuke some frozen junk food.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-01-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
sad just sad, now pass me that cheeseburger.
It's not the cheeseburger that's getting us. It's the large soda and fries on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events