Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 03:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
From my own observations on visits to America. You folks are morbidly obese.......... we're merely obese. But we're catching up with ya!.........
I'm an American living in Europe, and I agree with Dave. They're obese.. we're obese x 2. Sorry, Dave -- not picking on you, but I have to say when I go to England I feel somewhat "at home" because the people there are larger than the continentals. Still not quite as large as Americans, but you're ahead of the French and Dutch .. that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
On our visits to Florida 15 years ago.. I had never seen food on plates so big... I ordered French toast, and only french toast.. it came with sugar on top.. three slice of bacon , two eggs and sausage...but seriously it makes you wonder what exactly is put into all that fast food junk... Everything over there is mega size in food... saw one man tuck into a pile of pancakes covered in syrup for breakfast, unheard of here..although Scotland is known for its sweet tooth in food so we cant really talk.
I don't know why or when restaurant portions became so excessive. But pancakes are a traditional breakfast, so a stack of pancakes with syrup is nothing unusual. It's a traditional breakfast that's very unhealthy, and originated as poverty food--a very cheap way to fill kids' bellies. Adults eat it because it's a bit of nostalgia; it reminds them of their childhood, and is considered an all-American breakfast, for better or for worse.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-15-2016 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's just a daft, tired and outdated sterotype.

In terms of the US different parts of the country have different levels of obesity, highest rates of obesity being in the South and Midwest.

Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity
Yes. Obesity is rare on the West Coast and the mountain West (northern NM, Colorado, perhaps Idaho/Montana). When people talk about the obesity epidemic in the US, I always wonder what they're talking about, and end up assuming they're referring to the Mid-West and South.

On another note, when I was in Europe (including Russia) in the 80's, the Germans and the Russians were the ones with a high rate of obesity, compared to the US. In fact, overweight was considered something good in women, and people often exhorted me to "eat, eat! You're too thin!" "Pleasingly plump" was preferred for women (I know that's changed now), but what was most noticeable to me was the high percentage of retirees and late-middle-aged people who were very overweight. Don't the women there take hormone replacement after midlife? They obviously don't in Russia, but why wouldn't they in Western Europe, where HRT is affordable, and probably covered by health insurance?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
England is pretty fat so we're not in a position to criticise really - but since Americans are even fatter than we are, we can still make fun of them.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American living in Europe, and I agree with Dave. They're obese.. we're obese x 2. Sorry, Dave -- not picking on you, but I have to say when I go to England I feel somewhat "at home" because the people there are larger than the continentals. Still not quite as large as Americans, but you're ahead of the French and Dutch .. that's for sure.
And the Dutch aren't far behind.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,306,893 times
Quote:
Cigarettes are heavily taxed in Europe and as in America are banned in Bars, Restaurants and Public Places. In terms of drinking rates, Eastern Europe has the highest rates, as well as some Northern European Countries.

Cigarette Use Globally | The Tobacco Atlas

List of Countries By Alcohol Consumption Per Capita - Wiki

Smoking falls to lowest level in UK since recording started in 1940s - The Guardian

Is smoking finally on its way to being stubbed out? - Telegraph

In terms of the UK, smoking and drinking have declined significantly in recent years.

Why have we fallen out of love with booze? - Telegraph

Binge drinking in decline among young adults | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

The rise of the young non-drinkers - BBC News

The strange death of boozy Britain: why are young people drinking less?

End of 'Booze Britain'? Youngsters turning their backs on binge drinking with 40% surge in teetotal teens and students | Daily Mail Online

Drop in binge drinking leads to 10% fewer injuries due to serious violence | Society | The Guardian

Young people ditch binge drinking and boozing over fears of being 'cyber shamed' on social media | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent
The cigarettes were certainly not banned in Central Europe which we visited last year. This was part of the trip we didn't quite enjoy.

As to obesity - not every American is obese, this is a generalization. I do think that the general lifestyle in Europe is more conductive to staying thinner since you have to walk so much more in the cities. In the US, you sit in the car, then sit at work, then sit in the car, so unless you force yourself to exercise daily, you're going to start accumulating some fat, especially in winter. Europeans do a lot of walking. But I also saw many middle aged people with huge bellies, what we call "beer belly" in States.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,806 times
One of the most beautiful women I've ever seen was from Romania. Very 'healthy' lol.

Americans are just disgusting fat. If they socialize the healthcare system, I wouldn't have an issue with imposing an additional tax on those with a higher body fat percentage as the correlation between that and costly chronic health issues such as diabetes, CHD, etc is pretty clear.

It's just not healthy for the body to carry around so much extra fat mass. It can be overcome, but people need to work to overcome it.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 AM

27,225 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The cigarettes were certainly not banned in Central Europe which we visited last year. This was part of the trip we didn't quite enjoy.
I think most Western Countries have cigarette bans, although Eastern Europe is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma
As to obesity - not every American is obese, this is a generalization. I do think that the general lifestyle in Europe is more conductive to staying thinner since you have to walk so much more in the cities. In the US, you sit in the car, then sit at work, then sit in the car, so unless you force yourself to exercise daily, you're going to start accumulating some fat, especially in winter. Europeans do a lot of walking. But I also saw many middle aged people with huge bellies, what we call "beer belly" in States.
I don't think anyone would suggest Americans are all fat or obese, indeed many Americans work out or at the gym and take a pride in their appearance. As in all countries it is a minority who are obese and I think socioeconomic factors including poverty and poor educatrion are factors, whilst when you think of successful Americans you don't usually picture obese people.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
I think most Western Countries have cigarette bans, although Eastern Europe is different.

I don't think anyone would suggest Americans are all fat or obese, indeed many Americans work out or at the gym and take a pride in their appearance. As in all countries it is a minority who are obese and I think socioeconomic factors including poverty and poor educatrion are factors, whilst when you think of successful Americans you don't usually picture obese people.
The biggest factor in American obesity is their love for fast food. Fewer and fewer people cook a good meal at home most days of the week. Americans are in love with potato chips, greasy 5 minute burgers, donuts and anything else they can pick up at a drive through or fast food place just so they don't have to cook a balanced nutritious meal. And I don't care to hear the song and dance about having to work long hours. Make the time to grocery shop and prepare meals that last 2-3 days if you have to and skip that 2 pound burrito at lunch time. Also skip the high calorie drinks all day long. People have no idea or refuse to acknowledge that they are drinking a good percentage of their calories rather than eating them.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,050,732 times
I've been on a cruise ship...I've experienced a warning beep when 7 people were on an elevator..I was 190 and the guy next to me maybe 180...a family gets on, all morbidly obese..and a warning beep starts going off. If that isn't a red flag to you it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events