Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So, why do you care about Latino immigrants moving in then? It won't mean squat in hundreds of years, right?
Because I don't want us to become a Hispanic country in identity especially via illegal immigration, that's why. What country in the world wants their country transformed in that unlawful and unnatural manner? Besides, there are 23 Hispanic countries on the Western Hemisphere and they want more? What's next, Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because I don't want us to become a Hispanic country in identity.especially via illegal immigration, that's why. What country in the world wants their country transformed in that unlawful and unnatural manner? Besides, there are 23 Hispanic countries on the Western Hemisphere and they want more? What's next, Canada?
And the truth comes out.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm seeing 3rd generation Hispanic children entering school not knowing English.
So how old are these children? 5 years old? Big deal. I know many people who went into ESL when they were little, and after a year or two, they were speaking English perfectly. So they grow up bilingual. What's the big deal?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So how old are these children? 5 years old? Big deal. I know many people who went into ESL when they were little, and after a year or two, they were speaking English perfectly. So they grow up bilingual. What's the big deal?
No they aren't. I work with them in schools doing both remedial Math and Reading.
They are behind. Oh they learn the English slang alright but proper English..not so well.
We now have ESL teachers in both middle schools and high schools to continue helping them after they have done K-5 in bilingual classes.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 PM

922 posts, read 807,012 times
Not being bilingual in this day and age is a bit of a drawback actually, I think a lot of Americans should just suck it up and learn a new language for the sake of it.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
What is wrong with not wanting America to become a Hispanic country? I don't want Mexico or other Latin countries to become Anglo either. I want every country to be able to preserve it character and people's way of life without whole groups feeling marginalized or invaded by foreigners who would only treat their host country as an ATM. It's not about race either...there are blonde, blue-eyed white Hispanics (just look at the politicians, celebrities, and richest citizens of any Latin nation) and they have no business turning America into a Hispanic country either.

I briefly lived in Albuquerque and knew plenty of families that spoke no English at all after several generations of living there. And by age five a child starting public school should speak the majority language. They will be behind. The optimal time to absorb a language is younger than five. All the time devoted to learning English could be spent on other essential subjects.

Anyone who thinks English-only speakers don't get pushed out either doesn't live anywhere with significant Spanish-speaking populations or is being willfully ignorant. A job will advertise as "bilingual preferred" but really that means bilingual required, and Hispanics get in there and only hire other Hispanics. A company only needs to report to the Dept of Labor that various people of various backgrounds were interviewed--they aren't required to actually hire English speakers. For small companies they don't even need to do that. And yes if you walk into certain areas of Miami for something as simple as a pharmacy run and speak into English, they will look at you like YOU'RE the one who's out of place.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 AM

298 posts, read 416,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true.

I'm seeing 3rd generation Hispanic children entering school not knowing English.

This is more due to culture. Multi generations live in the home. The grandparents do not speak English so English is not spoken at home.

And with Spanish so prevalent it's not like past immigration where it was learn English or not survive.
Actually it is true. In my family, I'm a second generation American on my dad's side. Only 1 of my 20 cousins, a lot I know, speaks Spanish fluently. Many Mexican-Americans are just simply assimilating. It happens. Of course you are gonna have a significant amount of 2nd generation citizens who still do speak the language, but they are slowly getting more rare.

And as for 3rd generation Hispanic children, just give them time. If they have quality teachers, they will learn English.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My in-laws, long deceased, immigrated to the U.S. from Europe in the early 50's . Like most new immigrants they quickly got busy creating an anchor baby. They managed to live, work, pay taxes , own property and become U.S. citizens, without understanding or speaking English.

Did your in-laws come here illegally or legally? If it is the latter, the child they had on US soil is NOT an anchor baby. If it was the former, then, yes, they had an anchor baby. I'm surprised you don't know the meaning of "anchor baby" To clarify, when illegal aliens or birth tourists have a child on US soil, said child is an anchor baby.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
So, why do you care about Latino immigrants moving in then? It won't mean squat in hundreds of years, right?
I think that you need to take a world tour that involves visiting the graves of all the conquerors and yelling at them. Maybe it will make you feel better.

You are living in the past and refuse to acknowledge that every country in this world has been conquered at one time or another. Deal with it.

Every country in this world has immigration laws. Why do you think that the US shouldn't have any immigration laws?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:44 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
And the truth comes out.
What country wants to be taken over by members of another culture? Examples, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events