Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 07:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,492 times

Advertisements

That Spanish Civil War did not help their population much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,217 times
Spanish has always been associated with 3rd world nations with bad human rights for the majority.
Is that really what we should be striving for in our future ?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,383,952 times
With Jeb Bush's wife apparently not speaking much English you may just get that chance down there: the first First Lady that doesn't communicate in English.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,278,949 times
The xenophobia is strong with this thread. I suppose English is "God's language," right?

Always remember this - We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM

6,234 posts, read 3,618,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
With Jeb Bush's wife apparently not speaking much English you may just get that chance down there: the first First Lady that doesn't communicate in English.
That would be an wholly inappropriate, a disgrace to our country, and a green light to the third world that we have become North Mexico.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
The xenophobia is strong with this thread. I suppose English is "God's language," right?

Always remember this - We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us!
It isn't God's language but it is the national de fact language of this country. Why does that offend you? We don't have a problem with Spanish being the de facto national language of Mexico. WTH does xenophobia have to do with that?

As for your last sentence.....

Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
And the truth comes out.
And rightfully so! Does Mexico want to become an Asian country in identity? Don't be a hypocrite!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I think that you need to take a world tour that involves visiting the graves of all the conquerors and yelling at them. Maybe it will make you feel better.

You are living in the past and refuse to acknowledge that every country in this world has been conquered at one time or another. Deal with it.

Every country in this world has immigration laws. Why do you think that the US shouldn't have any immigration laws?
Right, we don't have a problem with Latino immigrants that come here legally, respect our laws and assimilate into our society. The object is to the illegal alien kind. Why do so many blur the lines between these two very different groups?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times
Its not only Hispanics that speak Spanish, but a boat load of Americans who speak Spanish as a second language. I picked up Spanish because I grew up in an Latino neighborhood and physically look Latino, even though my parents country is from the same region as Latin America, my parents national country official language is English. I picked up Spanish as a second language but over the years with big cities with lots of diversity, anglonization has been going on due to plenty of suburbanites mainly young educated types are moving in to poor inner-city neighborhoods. Due to this movement I have mentioned, I forgot how to speak Spanish due to increased anglonization of the inner-city.

This is nothing new. The USA has been the second largest Spanish speaking country or third speaking after Mexico and Colombia. My suggestions on how to curtail this? Failures of 8 US presidents that persisted with the Cuban embargo making, more and more Cubans migrate here and they can still live here due to refugee status. US supporting right wing regimes in Latin America, and figting against left wing regimes which in the process destabilized countries making them enslaved by the IMF and World Bank. This forces many Latin Americans to come to America. Immigration acts of the 1960s that would lead to many Latin Americans to come to America. The US getting involved in Latin America since the days of the Monroe Doctrine eventually would lead America getting involved more with Latin America economically and militarily. US has to blame itself for being a 2nd largest Spanish speaking country on earth. Hey just be happy that a good portion of the world speaks English and Spanish instead of French.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
It is time to declare our official language as English.
There's no need to. English has become the lingua franca, so to speak. Its the main language of science, medicine, business, law, commerce, the internet, etc etc etc. That's not going to reverse as even more countries and more young people in other countries embrace it. Its not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events