Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In all seriousness, your point has no foundation. People moan and complain today about immigrants because we have pieces of paper and courts and maps establishing boundaries. But because the Native Americans had no pieces of paper or courts or maps, then taking their land and sending them off into poverty and worse was justified. It makes no sense at all. Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it just and right. It generally just means people in power have enough money and influence to write the laws in their favor.
But morality isn't the point of the argument. Some people call current citizens of the United States "illegal immigrants", which is completely void of fact. It is not about morality or justification for what happened, but rather pointing out what simply isn't true.

With that being said, how come the people who complain about this do not complain about the Romans who invaded Gallium and Britannia? Similar to America, they were conquered. The Romans killed several members of their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
So that makes it okay?

Cool. Please send me your address. I'll be over to "discover" and "settle" my new car. And I have the perfect "reservation" for your TV in my den.

In all seriousness, your point has no foundation. People moan and complain today about immigrants because we have pieces of paper and courts and maps establishing boundaries. But because the Native Americans had no pieces of paper or courts or maps, then taking their land and sending them off into poverty and worse was justified. It makes no sense at all. Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it just and right. It generally just means people in power have enough money and influence to write the laws in their favor.
I didn't say it was ok but to only demonize the European settlers for what the so-called natives were doing also is hypocritical.

I have a sales slip on my car and tv so if you take them you will be a thief by law. Not so hundreds of years ago where there were no established governments or immigration laws. Again, those people are all dead now. Millions of people have been born here since and they are citizens under the U.S. government. Non-citizens have to apply to come here legally not jump our borders with impunity. Bring yourself up to 2015. The descendants of the tribes that settled within our borders are all U.S. citizens and yet you still whine?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true.

I'm seeing 3rd generation Hispanic children entering school not knowing English.
So what? They aren't in school yet. I'm not talking about babies; if there's a Spanish-speaking household obviously their first words are in Spanish.

Are you seriously worried that 3-year-olds don't have sufficient English now?

The fact is that Latinos all learn English in the later generations. In fact their Spanish is (more often than not) pretty bad. Some of the worst Spanish is in all-Latino areas (see Miami, East LA, parts of the Bronx, etc.). It would make a native speaker truly cringe.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
European settlers robbed the Native Americans of their land through disease, trickery, conquest, or outright murder. No one seriously disputes those facts. Europeans "discovered" America in much the same way a carjacker might "discover" your SUV and send you to a "reservation" in a back road ditch.
So what? EVERY NATION ON EARTH IS DRENCHED IN BLOOD. Every square inch of this planet has been fought over numerous times. Contrary to SWPL-SJW modern mythology the Amerindians were not peace loving hippies who walked around loving their neighbors and smoking peace pipes all the time. They warred with each other, fought and took land, enslaved other tribes, etc.

Just because Europeans arrived and were better at the game, we're supposed to apologize? That's weak. If the Indians could have wiped us off the face of the planet they would have, but the truth was they couldn't because they were weaker. They lost.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Well, as long as said persons can speak English, work hard, and be decent people, I don't care what other languages they speak. My personal experience: I used to work at a Mexican restaurant. The waitstaff and the managers spoke Spanish among one another. However, they also spoke English to communicate with me and the few waiters who didn't speak Spanish(and some of us who didn't speak Spanish picked it up by dealing with the cooks that didn't speak English). Speak Spanish, in my experience, doesn't imply not being able to speak English.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Only 47% in New Mexico? I had no idea it has dropped so much. 50 years ago it was closer to 75%.

Time to make Spanish the official language to protect its endangered status in New Mexico. I tell you, colonial European languages get no respect.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Listen, I don't really care about people speaking Spanish here. But I fail to see why "vice versa should apply?" Should I learn the language of every immigrant that comes here? I wouldn't move to China and demand that they start learning my language.

I agree that learning another language is always beneficial but I fail to see why Americans SHOULD have to learn Spanish.
^^^^^^ This.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Lol, unless you're native American, same can be said for everyone else in the USA, lol!
Blah blah blah. The vast majority of the non-Mexican and Central American immigrants to the territories now belonging to the USA followed the laws of immigration in place at the time of their arrival.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
So what? EVERY NATION ON EARTH IS DRENCHED IN BLOOD. Every square inch of this planet has been fought over numerous times. Contrary to SWPL-SJW modern mythology the Amerindians were not peace loving hippies who walked around loving their neighbors and smoking peace pipes all the time. They warred with each other, fought and took land, enslaved other tribes, etc.

Just because Europeans arrived and were better at the game, we're supposed to apologize? That's weak. If the Indians could have wiped us off the face of the planet they would have, but the truth was they couldn't because they were weaker. They lost.
Why should anyone have to apologize for what people long gone have done anyway? They aren't us and we aren't them.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Living in Miami which is a Latino culture dominated city, one hears Spanish every single day, without a doubt. However, schools continue to teach in English only, so the children of Spanish speakers are generally bilingual... speaking Spanish at home and English at school and I think this is FANTASTIC. How cool is it that we are developing a truly bilingual city, right here in the US.

I, myself, while not raised to speak spanish have been taught Spanish very thoroughly and can definitely get by with my Spanish and im learning new words everyday. Bilingualism is not something to fear. It's great to be able to communicate in 2 languages vs one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events