Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 04:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain

Embrace the melting pot that is the U.S.A.!
If this is true, its pretty cool!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There it is in a nutshell.

America is evil and "we are now getting a dose of our own medicine". That warped liberal thinking is what Obama has been preaching to one degree or another on his never ending American apology tour.
Then again he sat for over 20 years in the church of an anti-white, anti-American racist preacher who essentially said the same thing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzhl-endvco

So is it any surprise that he and his koolaid drinkers would think such things?

BTW - American culture infiltrating other countries has as much to do with envy and them wanting to be as successful as we have become. It is also based on the insatiable appetite for our movies, music and entertainment industry as anything else. Yet that is a far cry from the concerted efforts of spanish immigrants and their apologists to try and force us to accommodate them.

`
I'm not saying the US is evil, or that it necessarily "deserves" this. Nor am I saying that the American infiltration isn't two-sided. It is.

I'm just saying, it shouldn't be a shock to the States that they can be culturally infiltrated as well. If they can do it to the world, it's possible for the world to do it to them. The US does it with money and relentless marketing, Mexico and Central America do it to the US via sheer persistence and family ties.

No country is immune.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Spanglish anyone?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Spanglish anyone?
Ha! I heard this a lot living in Miami Beach

Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm not saying the US is evil, or that it necessarily "deserves" this. Nor am I saying that the American infiltration isn't two-sided. It is.

I'm just saying, it shouldn't be a shock to the States that they can be culturally infiltrated as well. If they can do it to the world, it's possible for the world to do it to them. The US does it with money and relentless marketing, Mexico and Central America do it to the US via sheer persistence and family ties.

No country is immune.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. The U.S. has invaded other countries because their citizens were being terrorized and we did not force our language and culture on them either. Illegal immigration that has nothing to do with the above is unacceptable for any nation. There is no justification for the citizens of Mexico or any other Latino countries to violate our immigration laws. Family ties are no exception. Many American families have relatives who live on the East Coast even though they live on the West Coast for example. Families can still visit one another. It's the same thing for Mexicans who have family here. They can visit them with the proper entry papers and vice versa.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I laugh with you. My immediate relatives came to the U.S. from Ireland, Scotland, Hungary, and Slovakia. I have records showing some of them came through Ellis Island (i.e. "legal") but it's possible some others didn't. In fact, I know for sure my grandmother's step-father sneaked into this country illegally. Nevertheless, the children of these immigrants fought and won WWII, they all worked their butts off, built businesses and schools in Western Pennsylvania, paidtons of taxes over the decades, and saw that most of their many grandchildren had college educations.

Like all immigrants, they came here with everything from strong accents to only a smattering of English, but by the time they were buried they were fluent English speakers. I am a firm believer that it's ridiculous to make English the "official language" of the U.S. It always was and always will be. Study after study, done for generations now, shows that all immigrants to this country, no matter what their native tongue, have children who are fluent English speakers even if they themselves aren't, and their grandchildren rarely have ANY KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER of their grandparents' tongues.

In this day of computers and televisions to think that the children of people from ANY continent won't be speaking English if they spend any amount of time in U.S. public schools is patently ridiculous.
I disagree. There are many adults who come here both legally and illegally and they don't speak a lick of English nor do they ever learn it. They are pass school age. Businesses and government panders to them in their native tongue (mostly Spanish) so they don't feel the need to learn it. English should take its rightful place as "official" because it is a part of our heritage and culture. Not only that but on the federal level we would no longer have to print government documents in several languages. It is a huge cost saving measure. An immigrant coming here knowing that English is our official language will more than likely assimilate to it rather than having an aversion to it. No more pandering in foreign languages either.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not really. The neurological benefits of being bilingual are demonstrable, but small. Its really been overplayed. Its nice, but that's about it. In addition, native English speakers are lucky that English is slowly creeping to becoming the universal language. Every other major non-English speaking country has many English language schools, most bilingual people in the world who are non-native English speakers have English as the second language, etc etc etc.

It was likely that one language in the end would become the dominant language in an increasingly interconnected and communicating world, and for historical reasons its turning out to be English. That's just the way the cookie crumbled. Its more of a drawback not to know English.
lol
Do you really think any reasonable people would give up his/her own language for English?
To even think that English can supplant national languages (especially in highly educated countries such as in Europe) is absurd, as much as thinking that Spanish can replace English in the US.
I don't understand all the fuss about this: you can't survive and grant a future to your children if you don't learn English, therefore it's evident that the large majority of Spanish-speaking immigrants will be bilingual and soon monolingual like the large majority of English-speaking Americans.
To give all of you terrified-to-become-a-Spanish-country Americans a good example: between 1992 and 2000 almost 400,000 Albanians came into Italy, mostly illegally; as you do now, there was much uneasiness towards of them, people complained etc.
And now? The majority of Albanians has perfectly fit into the Italian society: they are almost all bilingual (obviously their kids speak Italian better than their parents) and nobody worries about them any more.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter. They weren't native to this continent and the Europeans had just as much right to be here. The so-called natives were guilty of the same atrocities but I guess you will give them a pass? Not all the Europeans were like that anyway. Many of them were just innocent settlers slaughtered by the so-called natives. Who cares really about what happened back then anyway? Those people are all dead now and they aren't us and we aren't them. You're just another one living in the past for God knows what reason since you weren't alive back then either. Just what do I get an F for? If that isn't history then I don't know what is.
It is estimated that there were people on this continent for thousands of years before the Spanish arrived.
Thousands.

If that doesn't establish some sort of primacy, I don't know what would.
Isn't that the same argument that was used when establishing Israel? That they were there first?

It's such an odd justification when someone argues "well, they killed each other so who cares if other people killed them."

Of course it is all water under the bridge now, but, it just seems so odd to me that this country will send our military around the world to stop other people from killing each other but just shrugs its shoulders at its own history of same.

Anyway...
With regard to the history, a bit off topic, but fascinating as it relates to this discussion about indigenous peoples when considering that the Spanish arrived in what is now Mexico/New Mexico/Arizona around 1540.

"Some 12,000 years ago, a teenage girl took a walk in what’s now the Yucatan Peninsula and fell 190 feet into a deep pit, breaking her pelvis and likely killing her instantly.
The researchers focused on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which is used by geneticists to examine how populations are related.
Their analysis showed that Naia’s mtDNA contains a haplotype that occurs in modern Native Americans and only is found in the Americas; scientists believe it evolved in Beringia."

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
No worries, in a short time, there will be more american-english speakers in Europe than in the USA.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is estimated that there were people on this continent for thousands of years before the Spanish arrived.
Thousands.

If that doesn't establish some sort of primacy, I don't know what would.
Isn't that the same argument that was used when establishing Israel? That they were there first?

It's such an odd justification when someone argues "well, they killed each other so who cares if other people killed them."

Of course it is all water under the bridge now, but, it just seems so odd to me that this country will send our military around the world to stop other people from killing each other but just shrugs its shoulders at its own history of same.

Anyway...
With regard to the history, a bit off topic, but fascinating as it relates to this discussion about indigenous peoples when considering that the Spanish arrived in what is now Mexico/New Mexico/Arizona around 1540.

"Some 12,000 years ago, a teenage girl took a walk in what’s now the Yucatan Peninsula and fell 190 feet into a deep pit, breaking her pelvis and likely killing her instantly.
The researchers focused on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which is used by geneticists to examine how populations are related.
Their analysis showed that Naia’s mtDNA contains a haplotype that occurs in modern Native Americans and only is found in the Americas; scientists believe it evolved in Beringia."

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Doesn't matter who was here first or the longest when you are speaking of long ago times. So your DNA claims, etc. are irrelevant. It was an entire different world back then with different ways of doing things. In today's modern world we have established countries with established borders and immigration laws. It isn't only the U.S. that has them. It has no bearing on the past so no justification is needed for modern day immigration laws. It also has nothing to do with the U.S. taking military action against dictators in foreign countries either. Our citizens aren't taking up residence in those countries and stealing jobs and resources from those countries. I can't believe the idiotic analogies that some people come up with in here to justify illegal immigration into our country. I also just have to just shake my head at remarks that those of us alive today should be punished by an illegal invasion today for things that happened hundreds of years ago by dead people.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-02-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events