Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlerntForceTrauma View Post
Thank you for your answers wolf39us, Arcenal352, 2sleepy, and HappyTexan. I am curious to see how things turn out. Is there any indication of higher-than-minimum-wage-employees receiving a bump in pay as well? I'd be pretty upset if I were a manager at BK making $17 an hour (which is probably a long shot) and my fry cooks were bumped up to $15 and I didn't receive any increase.
You can always quit your hypothetical job. I'm sure someone would rather be giving orders to other customers than putting up with the typical fast food customers or dealing with hot oil for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:23 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
I tell you what, I wouldn't want to have their job. Not because it pays like crap (that doesn't help), but because I wouldn't be able to handle that stress.

Stress is a payable factor, one that fast food workers aren't getting compensated for at all.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I didn't read all posts here. Did anybody state:

Fast food jobs are to make a living when you still live with your folks. Not a job to raise a family on. I figured that out when I was a kid working at McDonnalds...

Mike G
Adult are hardly working there because they want to.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Do kids even work at fast food anymore?
Yes. My sons did in HS my brother, his sons and now my grandson. Many of my g-sons friends do.

Minimum wage is $7.25 here. My g-son makes a little over that. Sad thing is he works 32+ hrs. a week normally while going to HS (did, Im not having it this year). He worked 6 am. to 8 p.m. yesterday picking up someone else's shift. Apparently no one wants to work for $7.25.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Adult are hardly working there because they want to.
I'd rather be unemployed.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:40 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
You know sometimes life happens when you have other plans. I had a 5 year plan for myself when my husband left the service; sadly we could not plan that our government would deny Gulf War Syndrome for over two years and make us fight the VA for 5 for his ridiculously low pension rating even when the VA' s own doctor's determined him to be 100 % disabled.

I suggest many of you not be so quick to judge others "...till you have walked a mile in their shoes..."!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Jobs like fast food and Walmart are basically today's version of workfare. You work a couple hours a week there and the government gives you the rest. This "hybrid" system seems to be here the stay. There are certainty not enough white collar or skilled trade jobs to go around for everyone. We don't have blue collar manufacturing anymore which employed so many in this country. Fast food may of been "just for teenagers" 30 years ago but no more.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:25 PM

105 posts, read 106,370 times
Alot of people are going to see their hours getting cut.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

In many places, fast food workers are now making more than crane operators and medical technicians.
Could you name these places for us ?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
does anyone think mcdonalds the corporation will just eat this money?
Will the shareholders accept less returns on their investment???

By raising the min wage, people, your not socking it to the evil rich..THEY will not lose one red cent...this cost will be passed on to other employees (by having to work harder, less hours) and the customers...mcdonalds will simply cut costs to eat this...and were talking about a fast food corp that already has questionable product and low quality...

They are going to raise prices, NOT only will they NOT increase quality they will probably cut more corners, and they will have a smaller work force

again...please tell me how this added cost will be eaten by the corporation and the shareholders???
Corporate McDonalds won't suffer, but the franchise owners will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events