Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times

Advertisements

Hunting for food is something I can accept. Trophy hunting is just absolutely disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What are you talking about?

He is dead because people MADE him comfortable around humans.

What part of wild animals not being comfortable around humans don't you understand?

You think wild animals follow trucks dragging meat? They don't go near trucks unless they see them all the time and someone makes a point of driving trucks near them - all the time.

Yeah, so natural to have people driving around with buckets full of people in them.

That is why he followed the truck. Lions kill and eat their prey, they don't follow trucks unless they got used to trucks.

Think instead of constantly digging into the emotional bucket.

He is dead because the dentist and his "guide" tied a dead animal to the bumper of their car to lure Cecil out of and away from the protected park land that was his home.....

Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
...about the psychology of why some animals really spark more sympathy than others.

The Science Of Why You Are So Upset About Cecil The Lion | ThinkProgress

I also think that maybe since the guy is an American (more accessible) we can grab our pitchforks and torches via social media and serve up some punishment. (and to be clear, I think he should either go to jail, or finance a wildlife preserve to make up for it or something!!!)

However, when I read recently about a video of a 10 year old boy being taught how to behead someone by ISIS, I felt outraged, but completely powerless. I know, and I would think most people know at least on an intellectual basis, that beheading humans are more disturbing. Yet when I read stuff like that, I almost become numb and have to move on just for the sake of my own sanity. So much crap in this world!

I heard somewhere if pain were water, the world would drown.

So in other words this dentist is a safe target for all that unrequited righteous indignation and condemnation in the social media occupying masses? You notice how many of them will turn on anyone who doesn't appear to share that armchair wrath with them?

I also find it ironic that there isn't similar reaction when we get news of more brutal and horrific killings of innocents by ISIS, women, children, anyone else they see fit to murder, when we read of the brutal torture and imprisonment of people under Sharia law in the Middle East. Is it because folks aren't egged on to outrage, or even indignation to these events ( as they have been for the fate of poor Cecil the lion) by the main stream news media, which hardly even acknowledges these events in the middle east? Is it that these abuses are so immense that people are unable to react to it?

Not that I don't regret the senseless killing of a magnificent creature like this lion, and decry the events that made his death come to be. And I am not a hunter, so cannot identify with the desire to kill for sport. And while I believe this dentist should be prosecuted for his part in causing the death of the lion, I believe him when he said he didn't know the lion was a protected species in a sanctuary, and had depended on those he had paid $55,000.00 to to ensure the right permits were obtained and the hunt was legitimate. IMO he got suckered and those who did know they lured a protected lion from his sanctuary so he could be hunted and killed. IMO these folks should have the book thrown at them, and I imagine it will be.

But the death threats, the vicious outrage against this dentist? That I don't understand as anything other than a mob mentality, especially since it seems to be fueled by social media. Until, of course, another safe target comes up for these folks.JMO, of course.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 AM

653 posts, read 783,076 times
This video is very GRAPHIC......... Please be warned. This is a video of a "hunter" killing a lion while on a guided tour such as the one where Cecil was killed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2309277

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So in other words this dentist is a safe target for all that unrequited righteous indignation and condemnation in the social media occupying masses? You notice how many of them will turn on anyone who doesn't appear to share that armchair wrath with them?

I also find it ironic that there isn't similar reaction when we get news of more brutal and horrific killings of innocents by ISIS, women, children, anyone else they see fit to murder, when we read of the brutal torture and imprisonment of people under Sharia law in the Middle East. Is it because folks aren't egged on to outrage, or even indignation to these events ( as they have been for the fate of poor Cecil the lion) by the main stream news media, which hardly even acknowledges these events in the middle east? Is it that these abuses are so immense that people are unable to react to it?

Not that I don't regret the senseless killing of a magnificent creature like this lion, and decry the events that made his death come to be. And I am not a hunter, so cannot identify with the desire to kill for sport. And while I believe this dentist should be prosecuted for his part in causing the death of the lion, I believe him when he said he didn't know the lion was a protected species in a sanctuary, and had depended on those he had paid $55,000.00 to to ensure the right permits were obtained and the hunt was legitimate. IMO he got suckered and those who did know they lured a protected lion from his sanctuary so he could be hunted and killed. IMO these folks should have the book thrown at them, and I imagine it will be.

But the death threats, the vicious outrage against this dentist? That I don't understand as anything other than a mob mentality, especially since it seems to be fueled by social media. Until, of course, another safe target comes up for these folks.JMO, of course.
I don't know. All I've done is comment about it on here and perhaps a quickie on Facebook because I can also get in a plug for vegetarianism.

BUT - death threats, harassment, yeah. That's a bridge too far for me.

I think Jimmy Kimmel questioning his sexual ability was plenty.

I will always have an inherent and intense reaction to people that kill for sport. It simply disgusts me.

Last edited by Marka; 08-01-2015 at 05:19 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 11:46 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Had anyone had enough of this attention of the lion being killed? Jimmy kimmel crying on national TV over this.. Did he cry over the service men who were murdered a few weeks ago? I just don't get it... what we find important..
I've never liked trophy hunting, it just doesn't sit well with me. But yes, the mass hysteria surrounding this event is over the top.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm sorry, you are sounding quite ignorant here. Africa is a modern country, they understand tourist dollars and their tribes and goats are not in the national park that was Cecil's home. Your post makes them sound like they are still sacrificing virgins to the full moon or something.
Not hardly. But, if you think evebody in Zimbabwe has running water, and everything else , you take for granted, you may want to be less "enlightened" and more realistic. You are being, willfully, ignorant. Our inner cities our Utopia , next to much of Africa. They do, still hand milk, and self slaughter, their livestock. They don't get it at Wall Mart, all neat and ready, the way you do. You are, truly, clueless. You think Africa is like the US?! Seriously?!

Zimbabwe? Where these lions live, in proximity with people. They have Wal Mart, just up the road.? Jump in the Volvo, 5 minutes? get a clue.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:20 PM

1,077 posts, read 872,433 times
U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing: source

July 30 (Reuters) - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating whether the killing of a beloved lion by an American dentist in Zimbabwe was part of a conspiracy to violate a U.S. law against illegal wildlife trading, a source close to the case told Reuters on Thursday.

The source said the service is investigating the killing under the Lacey Act, a U.S. law that bars trading in wildlife that has been illegally killed, transported or sold.
The investigation is focused on whether Walter Palmer, a dentist in suburban Minneapolis, was involved in a conspiracy to violate the act, the source said.
Separately, the Fish & Wildlife Service said it has been unable to contact Palmer. He has said he killed the lion, known as Cecil, but said he believed the hunt was legal.
Edward Grace, deputy chief of law enforcement for the service, issued a statement urging Palmer to contact the agency immediately.

U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing: source

BBM

If Palmer thought this was a legal hunt, why did they try to destroy the GPS monitoring device on Cecil's neck?

I do hope some charges come down the pike for luring this majestic, protected creature out of his land,
with the purpose of taking home his head for a trophy.

Cecil was also had a rare black mane.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No come on, let's be honest here. People pay to go through the park with the hopes of seeing wildlife. There is no guarantee of seeing anything, much the less that lion. No more than seeing something at our own wild animal park.

People aren't going to demand a refund if the famous Gorilla is taking a nap on the day they visit the park.

When you pay 10 or 12 grand to come to a park for a week (photographers for example) you do expect to see wildlife. If they no longer are their the tour guides find somewhere else for their tours and people do not come. Discounting the value of the other tourists and inflating the value from the hunters is not a fair way of explaining the economics of wildlife.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
This video is very GRAPHIC......... Please be warned. This is a video of a "hunter" killing a lion while on a guided tour such as the one where Cecil was killed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2309277
OK, I got up the nerve to watch the video.

So disgusting!

The guy was panting after shooting four arrows into the lion? And then breathed a sigh of relief?

For WHAT?

I think he was panting because he actually had to move his lardass a couple of steps.

These people are scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events