Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:00 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
He probably didn't have a license at all. Also, why did he start the car ? The shooting was not warranted, but at the same time the officer was being provoked.
cops are "provoked" every day, they are trained to deal with it and most go through their entire career without shooting someone because they were "provoked".

The biggest mistake any police officer can make is to unnecessarily escalate a situation; when they do it seldom works out well.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:01 PM

22,095 posts, read 13,106,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
cops are "provoked" every day, they are trained to deal with it and most go through their entire career without shooting someone because they were "provoked".

The biggest mistake any police officer can make is to unnecessarily escalate a situation; when they do it seldom works out well.
Uh, he didn't; the driver did.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
He won't be sent to a state prison. He'll serve state time in a Federal prison, under a fake name. He'd be killed in a state prison, if it were known what he did.
If he is sentenced by the State, he will do his time in a state prison.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM

600 posts, read 826,890 times
Again, I don't think the shooting was warranted. Both hands were in plain view granted he turned on the ignition. At the same time in the heat of the moment if your immediate first thought is to to grab your gun and shoot someone point blank in the head then I question what type of training is being given.

I don't think the victim should have turned on the car, also when asked he should have just stepped out. They also reported later there was marijuana found in the car which may explain why he was apprehensive.

At the same time, I'm curious to see how the prosecutor will handle this. I'm not an attorney, but murder charges require malice aforethought vs. voluntary manslaughter.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't think the shooting was warranted. Both hands were in plain view granted he turned on the ignition. At the same time in the heat of the moment if your immediate first thought is to to grab your gun and shoot someone point blank in the head then I question what type of training is being given.

I don't think the victim should have turned on the car, also when asked he should have just stepped out. They also reported later there was marijuana found in the car which may explain why he was apprehensive.

At the same time, I'm curious to see how the prosecutor will handle this. I'm not an attorney, but murder charges require malice aforethought vs. voluntary manslaughter.
No, actually only aggravated murder requires premeditation in Ohio. The charge of murder does not.
Lawriter - ORC

Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,312,185 times
Quote:

I wonder if he was trained well on how to use his gun in the first place. Someone mentioned he was a recent military. Military uses Beretta M9 which has a side mounted safety, and won't fire until you deliberately flick the safety off with your thumb. Police uses Glocks or similar pistols which have no safety and will fire the moment you pull the trigger. In the heat of the moment he could've pulled a gun and automatically squeezed the trigger, which would be a very bad mistake safety wise, but not a deadly one in the military. Then came up with a half-assed explanation.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,670,639 times
Quote:
He probably didn't have a license at all. Also, why did he start the car ? The shooting was not warranted, but at the same time the officer was being provoked.
The driver was probably running through his head all of the blacks who got pulled out of cars and ended up dead.

And he was right, wasn't he?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,051,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Welcome to the world you demanded and too bad if you don't like it. You didn't watch what your elected officials were doing with the money nor did you care when some charismatic President promised you 100,000 new police on the street, you swallowed just like Monica and smiled the whole time. The you wanted more and more and everyone since then, on all sides just gave it to you.

Happy now?
Me...voting for more police? ? ? Never.

BTW...maybe your not up to speed on Clinton and his crime Bill. He renounced it a few weeks ago.

LINK

I guess even "Slick Willy" is seeing the light (if that's possible).

Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,670,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
In the heat of the moment he could've pulled a gun and automatically squeezed the trigger

Twice.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 PM

600 posts, read 826,890 times
Yeah Glocks don't have a safety in a traditional sense. They claim the double trigger is a safety, but it's not a safety in the conventional sense of where it actively blocks something. The safety on my handgun physically clamps down on the sear when engaged.

Honestly if I were a police, I wouldn't have the gun safety on anyways so I don't think it would make a difference here. That additional step of safety removal when faced with a criminal could make or break in life or death. I think it's a training issue since a lot of it is impulsive there needs to be a very familiar instinct.

The Glocks always shot very rough and were just uncomfortable to handle. Very reliable though. A Beretta would be more comfortable although not as reliable in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events