Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM

319 posts, read 347,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old town ffx View Post
i can see it now, the little black and white illustration indicating not to launch off head, like the baby in the bucket on 5 gallon buckets.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I feel awful for this mother, but her son did something very foolish. I have limited knowledge of fireworks, but anything you light and goes boom stays away from your body.
Florida, of course, has idiotic fireworks laws. You are allowed to buy them, so everyone assumes they are legal. But there are statutes, penalties and fine for actually lighting them unless you are an official with a permit.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM

30,705 posts, read 18,349,747 times
While I don't want to attack a grieving family, this is ridiculous. This was a freak incident. Don't make everyone else suffer because some people don't know how to follow the law/regulations/commonsense.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:10 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,371,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
She should probably fight for an intelligence test being required before purchasing fireworks.
A test for basic intelligence and a knowledge of simple economics before entering a voting booth would be a lot more beneficial for the nation

Old 07-31-2015, 07:57 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,265,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Like I said, you can't fix stupid.
Sure you can. Easily. You can fix your brain permanently.

Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage, with a bang and bright light

Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think if the liberal PC crowd who would enact the anti stupid laws to "protect us"
There is nothing liberal about imposing more laws on ordinary people. Liberals are all about more freedom for the average person, vs conservatives being about more freedom for rich people. Conservatives are more likely to own insurance companies and be in favor of imposing all kinds of restrictions on ordinary people, so their insurance companies will make more money and have fewer losses. The 4th of July and fireworks are about the Revolutionary War, which was promoted by liberals, vs conservative Tories.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I also hate to say this but HER SON WAS A BLASTED MORON!!!!!!!
Maybe. He might have been a blasted moron, or he might have been a blasted idiot. But, either way, he was definitely blasted.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I can see it now, the little black and white illustration indicating not to launch off head, like the baby in the bucket on 5 gallon buckets.
My objection to those baby stickers is not that they tell us something obvious but that the glue that holds them on makes a mess when you try to remove them.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,371,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
There is nothing liberal about imposing more laws on ordinary people. Liberals are all about more freedom for the average person, vs conservatives being about more freedom for rich people.
Hardly -- To begin with, what used to be called "liberals" have re-named and re-invented themselves as "progressives". Most of them arose from at least middle-class standards, and don't identify with people of ordinary means -- save to manipulate and patronize them. They usually practice "crony capitalism" -- seeking influence to use the illegitimate power of government to enrich themselves, at the expense of all the rest of us.

Quote:
Conservatives are more likely to own insurance companies and be in favor of imposing all kinds of restrictions on ordinary people, so their insurance companies will make more money and have fewer losses. The 4th of July and fireworks are about the Revolutionary War, which was promoted by liberals, vs conservative Tories.
What you vilify as "conservatives" on the other hand, represent a spectrum of viewpoints -- from the "traditionalists" who base their beliefs on nationalistic and/or religious grounding, to "libertarians" who view both economic and expressionary (artistic, sexual, etc) freedoms as unitary and inseparable. Tamper with one part of the package, and the rest will be compromised. Libertarians tend to represent a far wider part of the socio-economic spectrum than what is depicted by the "trendy Left", but we usually have a much firmer grasp of the economic realities of supply, demand, and open markets.

In the real world, of course, a pure laissez-faire economic system cannot exist; some set of uniform standards, some policing of the abusive few and, in acknowledgement of the risks and pitfalls of a service-dependent post-industrial society, some basic "safety net" will invariably be involved. But these necessities are best administered and policed as close to the local level as possible. The "progressives" can't accept this because their primary goal isn't wealth (of which they usually have an adequate supply) but power, which is not so much the ultimate aphrodisiac as the ultimate addiction. As the famous historian John Dalberg-Acton observed over a century ago; "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

The libertarian philosophy is best represented by the famous observation by Voltaire (the first "classical liberal") who commented on many occasions, and in many forms, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

And that sentiment is hardly in synch with the thinly-disguised Fascism called Political Correctness which is clearly the goal of most "progressives".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-31-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 12:02 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,110,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
That’s right, she isn’t blaming her son, or circumstance for the 4th of July death. She is blaming the fireworks and the lack of even more laws regulating them.
A better idea may be preventing to simply prevent idiots from breeding to stop them from watering down the gene pool even further. We don't need more regulation to protect people from themselves, we need even less so that they can remove themselves from the potential breeding stock by way of their own stupidity. We could start today by immediately repealing all seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A test for basic intelligence and a knowledge of simple economics before entering a voting booth would be a lot more beneficial for the nation
A simple IQ test before allowing one to become a parent would enhance the nation even further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events