Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unless you gave birth 5 times you have no idea what you're talking about. Forget paid leave for a moment, the rampant sexism in health care generally is a starting point. If a man has a hernia he will spend longer in hospital and take more time off work (often paid through medical) than women receive after child birth.
Actually a hernia operation, is not just something for men to worry about. It is an equal opportunity medical problem. While child birth is not.

I and my wife had 5 children. She took care of them while I worked, and we shared their care when I was home. I supported the family when the baby was born, and did not expect the employer to give her 6 months or sometimes more maternal leave.

Quote:
You know nothing whatsoever about equality policy or the legislation governing workplaces, yet purport to be an expert because you can breed.
I spent my entire working life in the business world, with except for a short time was in management up to as high as division sales manager for half the country with a large and long time corporation. I was also an owner of more than one business. So I apparently know a lot more about legislation governing workplaces than you do.

Quote:
Without some form of support after childbirth you're supporting inequality - effectively saying women have no real place in the workplace, they should breed and stay home and care for kids that both a man and woman made (while men work).
Women have a place in the workplace, and I have employed many of them. However I do not feel it is the employers place to pay her to have children. That is something to do, if you can afford to have them and pay for their care or care for them yourself, just as I did ours. I do not feel that an employer should pay a woman for months, when they are getting no return on their wage investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Old 08-24-2015, 05:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Actually a hernia operation, is not just something for men to worry about. It is an equal opportunity medical problem. While child birth is not.

I and my wife had 5 children. She took care of them while I worked, and we shared their care when I was home. I supported the family when the baby was born, and did not expect the employer to give her 6 months or sometimes more maternal leave.

I spent my entire working life in the business world, with except for a short time was in management up to as high as division sales manager for half the country with a large and long time corporation. I was also an owner of more than one business. So I apparently know a lot more about legislation governing workplaces than you do.

Women have a place in the workplace, and I have employed many of them. However I do not feel it is the employers place to pay her to have children. That is something to do, if you can afford to have them and pay for their care or care for them yourself, just as I did ours. I do not feel that an employer should pay a woman for months, when they are getting no return on their wage investment.
Barefoot and pregnant. Got it. That's exactly the underlying sentiment here. It's less about the paid leave and more about getting women back into the kitchen so they don't take your precious sales job.

I've practiced workplace law (including owning my own practice for 8 years) for more than 20 years, so umm no, the fact that you've hired some of "them", presumably those that "know their place" doesn't make you an expert. I've also raised two kids with a man who is thankfully far more evolved.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:11 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Er, well, parental leave can be extended to either parent, so there you go. No need to pout about all the things the mean wimminz are taking away from you.
so why do i have to have kid to get extra time, isnt that discrimnation against those without kids.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Look at the denial in this thread. This is why we'll never have the things they do. We're too worried about that CEO getting his 400x higher wage than the average person. No vision, no care for the very foundation of our society. This is why career women don't have kids but the jobless white trash have many.
White trash aside, what about all of the women who don't have children? Do I get some free leave also?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

I love your posts. I can remember a lady I worked with back in the 70's. She had seven kids but she never missed a day of work because of them. One day someone asked her why that was. She said very proudly that her kids were her responsibility and hers alone. She had arrangements for their care and she did not feel it was the responsibility of her employer to make sure her kids were looked after while she was at work.
Whatever her arrangements were her business but her plans were in place and she apparently had given it a lot of thought.

In those days, women often did not get hired because they had kids and sometimes even if they were thought to be of age where they would have them. So now the pendulum has swung in the entirely opposite direction. And now people want paid leave because they had a baby? And more whenever they need time relating to their kids no questions asked?

Neither direction seems fair to me. that's why I keep harping on the idea that if companies give everyone equal amounts of paid leave to do what they choose, it's a win-win for everyone. And no one would feel they had to be constantly doing other people's jobs without pay but would never have any reciprocity because the criteria for the PTO was so discriminatory.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 PM

914 posts, read 973,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. And that is my beef with paid family leave. If businesses want to offer paid time off for new parents, fantastic. Then offer the same thing for people who don't have kids when they have important family issues; like caring for aging parents or taking care of their own health problems. What about the employee with a severe illness he/she has no control over and must take time off work for? FMLA is unpaid, and employees can go bankrupt when they can't work because of personal illness.
Yes because you don't value people having any time off here in the US hence why vacation time is so low compared to rest of the western world. In Europe you do get time off for illness with a doctors certificate, even long term sickness or to care for a parent, you get a carers allowance otherwise. Companies have more compassion.I see every day here people who are ill rushing back to work incase they get fired which it seems to be easy to do here unlike other countries in the world. If you are long term sick in the majority of Europe in most reasonable size organisations you get paid for a reasonable amount of time or the state will have a bit of a safety net. That is something you need to address as a culture, that you should moan about people having even a few months off to raise a family and being paid for it says it all! Those kids are the future generation of the country and will eventually hopefully contribute something back! As I said if you are childless well great, you get the quicker promotion for working all the hours imaginable and not taking time out of the workplace so your wages in effect will rise quicker than those who do take time out.Its not like being on maternity leave is a paid holiday, you are raising a child and nurturing them in their early days

Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Incorrect. Special treatment is exactly what you're asking for. I'm a woman who has never asked for that privilege (which is what it is) because I chose not to have kids. Let's not forget that one can parent without reproducing biologically as well. Since I am of childbearing age, I have gone so far as to explicitly say at job interviews that I have no children and am physically incapable of becoming pregnant (which is true) to increase my chances of getting a job, since employers cannot legally ask those questions. That information may have helped me in interviews, because I have received a job offer at every company I've ever interviewed with in my career.
I prefer to get a job on my work merit not the fact I declared I cant have kids! Shame you feel the pressure to do that as a woman, I couldn't see a man doing the same and telling all about his private life. I arrived in the country 7 months ago and was offered several jobs before my employment card came through. I have constantly been chased by employers where I am in the US to come and interview for various jobs. I had my pick and they know I have kids but I also have great skills and a varied work background.If my kids are ill then between my husband and I we have to sort it and with NO family here in the country, by the same token I work hard when I am there.

Last edited by Montygirl; 08-24-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Barefoot and pregnant. Got it. That's exactly the underlying sentiment here. It's less about the paid leave and more about getting women back into the kitchen so they don't take your precious sales job.

I've practiced workplace law (including owning my own practice for 8 years) for more than 20 years, so umm no, the fact that you've hired some of "them", presumably those that "know their place" doesn't make you an expert. I've also raised two kids with a man who is thankfully far more evolved.
Spot on! Like I said before, like being back in prehistoric times listening to some people .

Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
White trash aside, what about all of the women who don't have children? Do I get some free leave also?
lol white trash and then you dump on your fellow women, yes that makes you so much better than white trash! You get your career my friend and lots of money to go with it.Maybe try what the other lady recommended and declare you wont be having kids, never know might get you a payrise.

Last edited by Montygirl; 08-24-2015 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events