Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I don't there is really any reasonable argument against starting out with 3 months paid maternity leave, with the option to extend it down the line.

women always talks about equal pay, so why cant i get three months off with pay, is it because im single and male. isnt that discrimnation. they want equal pay so why cant it go both ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
And what paid-time-off perk do businesses offer to child-free people?

Golf

Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
women always talks about equal pay, so why cant i get three months off with pay, is it because im single and male. isnt that discrimnation. they want equal pay so why cant it go both ways
Er, well, parental leave can be extended to either parent, so there you go. No need to pout about all the things the mean wimminz are taking away from you.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM

914 posts, read 973,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Big or small, in every case there is another worker that has to pick up the slack. Usually a childless woman or a man.

What will they get that is equal to a few months of paid time off every year or two?
I as a part timer used to pick up the slack of a male work colleague who through job redeployment was paid more than I was(pro rata) and he used to use all his day either sorting out his wife's travel insurance, issues with her car, booking another vacation or anything she rang up about, if it wasn't that then it was bailing his son out of the local cop shop when he got a bit flighty with his fists against someone!

I was part time after returning from maternity leave, he was full time and we logged all our calls as we worked on a help desk. Every week I finished more tickets than him for jobs and yet he worked 2 more days than me. So if this is your argument should I then have been paid more than him or the same full time wage! Depends how productive you are doesn't it.

Many people who work part time are more productive than those who are not so as for picking up slack for those on maternity leave that isn't always the case as depends how slack the employee is in the first place . He never actually covered any work for me when I was and I had on occasion stayed late to help him get his work finished before he went on holiday as he seemed to go even slower knowing he was taking vacation hoping we would do it whilst he was away! In the end a process was put in place that whatever was left would be sitting there when he got back! So the argument about picking up slack doesn't always work when you have a slack ass working with you in the office who never went beyond his finish time and actually didn't feel bad leaving others picking up the slack!

He never covered any of my work whilst I was off on paid leave or any other colleagues work for that matter, other colleagues did and didn't begrudge it as before I had kids I always worked longer hours unpaid and did work trips in my personal time often flying out to somewhere on a Sunday. My productivity remained high when I came back as I felt valued as an employee and as our director knew I worked hard before I left including stepping in for my supervisor for no extra pay he agreed to let me come back to work part time as he got as much if not more work out of me!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:45 PM

914 posts, read 973,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
No but by staying in the workforce you often get more pay & better job prospects anyway, most women once they have kids see a reduction in their career prospects and promotion prospects as well.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Why if people get less maternity leave in the U.S. is there considered to be a 'war' on families?

Like, why when people want more of something, do they equate not getting it with being in a war?

I mean, when I'm in a bar and its last call at 1:30am, I don't take the position that there is a war on my Saturday night. But then again, if there was, I would definitely fight for my right to party. Assuming it was due to a war.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Er, well, parental leave can be extended to either parent, so there you go. No need to pout about all the things the mean wimminz are taking away from you.

If he was applying for parental leave as a father he wouldn't be a single male with no children.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Some of the replies in this thread make me want to give up my US citizenship.

The selfishness displayed here, and stupidity are so HUGE that it only shows how assbackwards we have became.

To say it's a "war" is an understatement; it is PURE HATE towards families, HATE is the word NOT "war".

Politicians here HATE families, women, and anything that would make people happy here, and people here have been brainwashed into thinking that somehow that's "great"! Look what we have to choose from in this upcoming election! Another Bush, delusional Trump, and more idiots who DO NOT have families on their mind.

To think Americans can't tell what's good for them is laughable to the rest of the world. To even THINK to expect a new mom to return to work after two weeks is HATEFUL; Almost as worst as slavery. This mom doesn't even work for herself, she works for some jerk who doesn't even see fit to pay LIVABLE wages! UNBELIEVABLE how assbackwards we've become.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I always love how the only response many here can give is "if you don't like it, then move". No real discussion, just this single line ultimatum as if that was the only option.
And of course the flip side of that is usually "well Europe does it so we should do it too". Well I have news for you. If things keep up the way they are Europe isn't going to be Europe for very much longer. I'm not sure what sharia law's take is on maternity leave but I can pretty much guarantee that the give and take involved there is not going to be beneficial to the modern progressive woman.

The one thing America is emulating Europe on is its open border policy and this is a policy that is going to stress both of our societies to the point where all this quibbling over tax rates and benefits is hardly going to matter anymore. First world problems for nations that are rapidly transforming into third world societies.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 08-24-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I don't know how extensive your study of biology is but you do know that in the majority of circumstances there is a man involved in making a baby as well?

To imply women should bear the entire responsibility for what is a "two person" decision is simplistic and misogynistic regardless of your view on paid leave.
I never said that. Do not put words in my mouth. I'm referencing "woman" because she would be the one to get the maternity leave.

Yes, the family should bear the responsibility. But in no scenario does a coworker or an employer have any responsibility for that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events