Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:01 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times

Advertisements

I long for the day where people realize the difference between corporate costs and societal costs. Providing paid leave to parents is a corporate cost, but not giving them one has a societal cost. When are we going to get off the companies teat and realize that weve been programmed to defend WORSE living conditions for ourselves. Imagine a world where we love the chains we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I long for the day where people realize the difference between corporate costs and societal costs. Providing paid leave to parents is a corporate cost, but not giving them one has a societal cost. When are we going to get off the companies teat and realize that weve been programmed to defend WORSE living conditions for ourselves. Imagine a world where we love the chains we live in.
Chains?

Yeah, I see.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I prefer to get a job on my work merit not the fact I declared I cant have kids! Shame you feel the pressure to do that as a woman, I couldn't see a man doing the same and telling all about his private life.
Men don't do that because men don't have babies, get pregnant, rarely get custody in relationship breakups, and thus do not need to take off work because of children. As a woman of childbearing age, I am positive almost every employer thinks about their young female employees missing work for this reason.

Quote:
I arrived in the country 7 months ago and was offered several jobs before my employment card came through. I have constantly been chased by employers where I am in the US to come and interview for various jobs.
As have I. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to even mention the fact that I don't have kids IN THE INTERVIEW, would I? If I wasn't skilled and experienced, I wouldn't have even made it to the interview process.

Quote:
I had my pick and they know I have kids but I also have great skills and a varied work background. If my kids are ill then between my husband and I we have to sort it and with NO family here in the country, by the same token I work hard when I am there.
So you're saying it's OK for you to mention your personal business (that you are married and have children) but not for me to mention mine? Hypocrisy much? I will do everything in my power, as long as I am honest, to be the the candidate who beats out all the others when I apply for a job. And that is the exact strategy of the other applicants.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
I agree that paid family leave (for either parent) should be a societal cost, not a corporate cost. It's also painfully obvious that it would not work in a country like the US. Words like "equality" and "fairness" are tossed around in a forum like this without any regard for the profound privilege that the majority of posters come from (including myself). Arguably "fairness" would be being able to have a family without career interruption regardless of gender.

Society helps to fund lots of things that not everyone uses (or uses to different degrees), roads, transit, parks, health care, libraries, schools, even police and fire departments. The logic is that we're better collectively with those things than without them.

These same posters will rail on in other threads about how "women get themselves pregnant", about how awesome Trump is, and how since they don't have kids nothing should be done to support families. I'm guessing that when they're old they'll want some measure of old age security paid for by the same "kids" they appear to resent now.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I agree that paid family leave (for either parent) should be a societal cost, not a corporate cost. It's also painfully obvious that it would not work in a country like the US. Words like "equality" and "fairness" are tossed around in a forum like this without any regard for the profound privilege that the majority of posters come from (including myself). Arguably "fairness" would be being able to have a family without career interruption regardless of gender.

Society helps to fund lots of things that not everyone uses (or uses to different degrees), roads, transit, parks, health care, libraries, schools, even police and fire departments. The logic is that we're better collectively with those things than without them.

These same posters will rail on in other threads about how "women get themselves pregnant", about how awesome Trump is, and how since they don't have kids nothing should be done to support families. I'm guessing that when they're old they'll want some measure of old age security paid for by the same "kids" they appear to resent now.
So, to make sure I understand you, you feel we should impose taxes that would go towards paying the salaries of people who take off after having a baby?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Everyone here seems to suggest kids aren't needed for the future. That having kids is just personal hobby with no benefit to our society. But raising a child is not just to fulfill a mothers desire, that child is the future of the nation or earth. That is why our European & Canadian counter parts support women to have children & do everything they can to make it easy for a women to decide to have child.

yet we have people here too worried about companies going bankrupt because one employee decides to take time off or about higher tax they will have to pay if government decided to fund these mothers to raise the future. Guess what your tax money already pays for school and Medicare for poor, WIC and food stamp & unemployment and lets not forget war all over the worth. Yet supporting future generation is too much. Don't be surprise when immigrants take over the country because Americans were too busy being selfish and knowing eachother down

Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Everyone here seems to suggest kids aren't needed for the future. That having kids is just personal hobby with no benefit to our society. But raising a child is not just to fulfill a mothers desire, that child is the future of the nation or earth. That is why our European & Canadian counter parts support women to have children & do everything they can to make it easy for a women to decide to have child.

yet we have people here too worried about companies going bankrupt because one employee decides to take time off or about higher tax they will have to pay if government decided to fund these mothers to raise the future. Guess what your tax money already pays for school and Medicare for poor, WIC and food stamp & unemployment and lets not forget war all over the worth. Yet supporting future generation is too much. Don't be surprise when immigrants take over the country because Americans were too busy being selfish and knowing eachother down
I think the best thing to do is to not have paychecks. Our pay needs to go to the government so it can be dispersed throughout society.

I assume you'd be ok with this plan, or are you too selfish?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, to make sure I understand you, you feel we should impose taxes that would go towards paying the salaries of people who take off after having a baby?
Yes.

Sort of the way taxes are imposed so that people too old to work get "salaries" in the form of old age security, not necessarily to replace their earnings but to create some measure of security. Paid for (wait for it) by the kids other people raised.

My point is that if families are important, and workers are valued then the burden of having children should not be loaded on to the mothers of those children. Nor should individual companies be responsible since the benefits are not necessarily felt by them. It is clear that the U.S. fiction that equality already exists would prevent this from ever happening.

I believe many U.S. citizens don't have any sense that the way the U.S. functions isn't a model for the rest of the world, and are too insulated to realize that they might learn from other countries. I am not a leftist, I believe Canada goes too far in many ways, but the old white dinosaurs pining for the "good old days" in the U.S. may want to expand their horizons.

I also believe parents taking time off should have their job held for a reasonable period of time

Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Men don't do that because men don't have babies, get pregnant, rarely get custody in relationship breakups, and thus do not need to take off work because of children. As a woman of childbearing age, I am positive almost every employer thinks about their young female employees missing work for this reason.

As I mentioned my husband & I have always split the time off which has been extremely rare! Had more co workers off for other reasons actually. Or he has worked from home to look after them! Actually the state I live in the kids mostly live with the Dads. No one knows what the future holds, you could just as easily have someone off long term for other reasons other than child bearing.

As have I. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to even mention the fact that I don't have kids IN THE INTERVIEW, would I? If I wasn't skilled and experienced, I wouldn't have even made it to the interview process.

So you're saying it's OK for you to mention your personal business (that you are married and have children) but not for me to mention mine? Hypocrisy much? I will do everything in my power, as long as I am honest, to be the the candidate who beats out all the others when I apply for a job. And that is the exact strategy of the other applicants.

No I'm not, I didn't offer this info like you did. She could see I was married as the application via the district I work for says Mrs, Mr Miss. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work this out! They asked if I had any family here in a general sense and mentioned no time off during certain periods in the work calendar and said would this be an issue. I agree you push or sell yourself in an interview on your skills, flexibility,experience but mentioning oh and I don't plan to have kids/cant have kids .No that's not a skill. I agree you have skills on a CV etc and that gets your foot in the door .

Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 25,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

Good post! I totally agree with you. I'm a bit shocked about all those family-hostile posts of other users. That's a very unhealthy development for a society. Just as many other industrialized nations, also the US are facing an ageing population. The percent of people who won't be able to work due to their age will increase while the birth rate is sinking. This is not a question of "one company who has to pay for a mom who wants a baby" but something that should be solved (and payed) on a public level (cou
nty, state, or whatever).
Who will buy all the things produced by an economy when you're old? Who will pay taxes to finance the expences of the public? It's working people with a regulary income. And yes, families who aren't that lucky to have "two parents working as managers" who easily live with only one salary, should be supported. Because having kids as privilege for wealthy people is something a society cannot afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events