Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How do you feel about fishing????
I don't fishing. I purchased live lobsters and set them free at sea though. What's your problem?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
I don't fishing. I purchased live lobsters and set them free at sea though. What's your problem?
Just a question.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
His staff obviously want to keep their jobs, but what kind of person would willingly be a patient of a "doctor" who derives pleasure in poaching lions?

And, moreover, who would give their hard-earned money to him so he can go out and kill more living things? There are plenty of good dentists out there who aren't sadistic animal killers.

Did he pay his staff their salary all those weeks he was gone?

I think people who work in dental offices and especially dental hygienists could find work elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
he was shocked his "hunting party" shot cecil? did i read that incorrectly? is he trying to put it on his "hunting party"...honestly, i didn't know who cecil was but to me it's irrelevant as i'm against trophy hunting to begin with...i'd get a new dentist.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not in Cecil's case. The cowards skinned him, cut off his head, and left the rest.

Cecil the Lion -- Bones Will Become a Memorial | TMZ.com
Responsible hunting guides in Africa always make sure that all harvested "bush meat" goes to human consumption …

If Cecil's flesh was just left to rot, that indicates something of what slobs (the general derogatory descriptive term for irresponsible hunters) the guides and the dentist-hunter are …

This renders slightly moot the supposed defense of "permits" and "legality" ...

Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Trophy hunting is responsible for a relatively small number of lion kills every year. The biggest problems facing lion populations are loss of habitat, loss of prey animal carrying capacity of the existing habitat, and wholesale slaughter of lions by indigenous Africans who are trying to protect their cattle herds.

When there is trophy hunting, a lion becomes very valuable, and precious resources will be expended by both governments and hunt operators to maintain reproducing, huntable populations of lions. Without trophy hunting, lions have no value. They will be indiscriminately killed in order to protect cattle, and their habitat will be converted to cattle grazing areas and crop growing areas.

You may not like it, but without trophy hunting, lions are likely doomed.
For sure, people who try to make a decent living in Zimbabwe have every human right (need !!!) to do so, whether by farming (including protecting their farms from wildlife problems) or through various kinds of tourism, including safaris …

But the notion that the rich white marauding dentist is somehow a hero/savior of their local economy is a waaaaaay big stretch …

How about this … ??? Instead of wasting resources -- and making a huge carbon footprint via international air travel -- just pay the locals a large $$$ sum to conduct a responsible hunt, including harvest of the meat, take plenty of photos in the process, and then ship the "trophy" bits to the rich white sponsor … ??? He gets a lot of exciting photos and a splendid big stuffed [ … whatever … ] to hang on the wall in his bedroom or dining room or in the garage or in his ice fishing shack this winter …

Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Seriously? That's hilarious!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
For sure, people who try to make a decent living in Zimbabwe have every human right (need !!!) to do so, whether by farming (including protecting their farms from wildlife problems) or through various kinds of tourism, including safaris …

But the notion that the rich white marauding dentist is somehow a hero/savior of their local economy is a waaaaaay big stretch …

How about this … ??? Instead of wasting resources -- and making a huge carbon footprint via international air travel -- just pay the locals a large $$$ sum to conduct a responsible hunt, including harvest of the meat, take plenty of photos in the process, and then ship the "trophy" bits to the rich white sponsor … ??? He gets a lot of exciting photos and a splendid big stuffed [ … whatever … ] to hang on the wall in his bedroom or dining room or in the garage or in his ice fishing shack this winter …
But then he wouldn't have the pleasure/fun/enjoyment of doing the actual killing... which sort of defeats the purpose.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:29 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post

If you could get people to it, sure, it would probably work.

However, nobody, hunter and non-hunter alike, is willing to spend that kind of money on what you describe.

How many pages have been used here on CD where non-hunters vent on what a horrible situation trophy hunting is? The vast majority of them will spend little, if anything, on conservation efforts in the US. Conservation efforts in Africa? No way. They will do NOTHING to help the problem.

As I said before, without trophy hunting, an African lion has NO VALUE (other than the very small number in national parks). Hunters are the only people that spend any meaningful amount of money that is used to manage/conserve game. The bunny huggers do nothing to solve the problem. Excoriating a dentist for a lion hunt may make them think they are accomplishing something, but it does nothing to help the game animals.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you could get people to it, sure, it would probably work.

However, nobody, hunter and non-hunter alike, is willing to spend that kind of money on what you describe.

How many pages have been used here on CD where non-hunters vent on what a horrible situation trophy hunting is? The vast majority of them will spend little, if anything, on conservation efforts in the US. Conservation efforts in Africa? No way. They will do NOTHING to help the problem.

As I said before, without trophy hunting, an African lion has NO VALUE (other than the very small number in national parks). Hunters are the only people that spend any meaningful amount of money that is used to manage/conserve game. The bunny huggers do nothing to solve the problem. Excoriating a dentist for a lion hunt may make them think they are accomplishing something, but it does nothing to help the game animals.
Well, yeah …

The trophy "hunters" indeed are not really interested in the ecology or economy or people of Africa, but only in the thrill of the kill …

The idea that their "generous" $$$spending$$$ however will be the salvation of "game animals" … well … rings a whole lot hollow and frankly "stuffed" …

This entire episode IMHO does give us humans globally an opportunity to reflect upon -- and repent of -- our foolish destructive arrogance over against Nature in general ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events