Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You have it backwards, its the pro-gun folks lauding this guy as a hero here.
At least he had the guts to get in there and start shooting and protecting himself and others. Was he supposed to just stand there like a sitting duck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
At least he had the guts to get in there and start shooting and protecting himself and others. Was he supposed to just stand there like a sitting duck?
Once he realized that he shot the victim in the head, he gathered up his brass and ran away like a gutless coward.

If you see 'guts' in that, then you're chugging the Kool-Aid straight from the pitcher.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
You have it backwards, its the pro-gun folks lauding this guy as a hero here.
I must have missed those posts (seriously), so can you please quote them?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I must have missed those posts (seriously), so can you please quote them?
There are too many to quote you will just have to go back and read them again, sorry. The OP is one, though, as is post 171 on this page. Certainly there are no anti-gun people saying this man is a hero, which is what the poster I was responding to said,

Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Once he realized that he shot the victim in the head, he gathered up his brass and ran away like a gutless coward.
We don't know that. He may have simply realized that his business there was done and moved on.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We don't know that. He may have simply realized that his business there was done and moved on.
He shot the victim, not the crook, you realize that, right?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
He shot the victim, not the crook, you realize that, right?
Presumably he did his best. There's only so much one man can do.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Presumably he did his best. There's only so much one man can do.
My point was to you saying he had finished his business and had nothing further to do with the scene....he knew he shot an innocent person in the head, is leaving the scene rather than rendering aid and staying to talk to the cops "his best"? If so, I hope we never see his worst.

Your post makes it sound like you think he was well within his rights to leave the scene of a crime in which he shot an innocent man in the head...do you actually think that?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
There is no doubt that the common sense gun law initiatives are gaining ground. Unfortunately for most of us gun owners/concealed carry members, there is an element of logic to it. If you put the emotions on the sideline for one minute, close your eyes, and think of at least 2 people you would NEVER want to own a gun, you get my point.

I was, and still am, in favor of a simple shooting test coupled with a written, 20 question legal test prior to anyone owning a handgun or any gun for that matter. I own at least 30 now but, I've been shooting for over 40 years.

Before anyone has a conniption fit, hear me out. I'm talking about a simple shooting test at a range. You would have to demonstrate that you know how to load, unload and hold a weapon safely. You would have to hit full silhouette targets at 3, 5, and 7 yards (where 90+ percent of self-defense shooting occur...up to 21 feet...about the length of a full-sized truck). Say.....5 shots at each range with a score of 90 or better, give or take.

Then, a 20 question test. Score 80 or better and you are good to go. This would come at the end of a 1-hour training course. Once these two are complete, buy all you want and any type you want, period. For life.

Why? Think about it, we all have to have a license to drive a car, right? You have to demonstrate an ability to be able to manage a two-ton moving object for the safety of all. You have to take a test to prove you know the laws of the road, right? There are a large number of people I've seen at a range that are anything but safe and scare the heck out of me. Everything from proper maintenance, storage, ammo selection and what have you can be covered.

I don't want some young buck buying a .44 mag, placing it in his nightstand for all kids to encounter and never going to the range to become proficient because of the cost of ammo....then, when he/she needs it most, they pull it out and start blasting hitting everything BUT the intruder.

I am ALL for gun ownership. I am ALL for the safety of firearms. I am ALL against the slippery slope some liberals would use to continue advancing more hurdles to those would-be owners but, when it comes to your first gun, having a license, test, background check and some training is not asking too much.

All one has to do is watch Youtube and see some of the idiots getting injured shooting firearms to screw it up for everyone. Not being elitist here but, recognizing a fundamental need for a modicum of training and legal review before anyone owns a firearm and/or thinks because they do they are somehow now part of the LEO community.

Simple test, show me you can use it, show me you know the basic laws and liabilities and then, have at it. You take a drivers license test and after that, you can drive whatever non-CDL product you choose. Having a similar hurdle for guns is no big deal. BUT, after that, back the F off. Let the 2nd amendment reign from that point forward. Just show us you know what, who, when and how a firearm can be employed and shoot safely.

As far as the left is concerned, I wish they were as interested in learning about how many robbers/Bad Guys/Gals have been stopped BY peaceful, law abiding gun owner. Many lives are OWED to those who stepped in harms way to help a stranger out.

Let's make sure we hear BOTH sides of the story for a change. In the meantime, look on YouTube for "Bad guy gets owned" or store keeper defends himself...when you see the REAL WORLD VIDEOS of people being stopped, gun ownership starts to look, really, really attractive?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
My point was to you saying he had finished his business and had nothing further to do with the scene....he knew he shot an innocent person in the head, is leaving the scene rather than rendering aid and staying to talk to the cops "his best"? If so, I hope we never see his worst.

Your post makes it sound like you think he was well within his rights to leave the scene of a crime in which he shot an innocent man in the head...do you actually think that?
And collected his brass, which is interfering with a crime scene and obstructing a crime investigation. If they do figure out who he is, he'll face criminal charges and lose his CHL on that alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events