Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What in tarnation is a good guy with a gun supposed to do in this situation? Just stand there and watch a crime being committed? Run to the man's aid? Dial 911?

This gentleman may have shot the wrong party but at least he had the guts to jump in there and start firing.
You're joking, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Sooo, one LITTLE mistake and you guys want to blame all gun owners. I mean the victim got his truck back, minus glass from stray bullets even though he may never drive again. The shooter even picked up his brass so as not to litter. If the victim had had a gun he could of shot himself.

Shooter got away. The bad guys got away. Victim got his truck back. I'd say this was a win win all around! And all people do is complain about marksmanship.

Last edited by jamies; 09-29-2015 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 05:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
No doubt the anti-gun crowd will try to make hay with this.

Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.

Man carjacked, witness opens fire at gas station in NE Houston | News - Home

I'm pro gun but dude I can't actually say yeah this was good. I think I rather have the car stolen than be shot in the head. I mean I understand the other guy was trying to help but in some cases going to a gun is not the answer. And for Christ sake of you're gonna shoot at least hit the right person.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm pro gun but dude I can't actually say yeah this was good. I think I rather have the car stolen than be shot in the head. I mean I understand the other guy was trying to help but in some cases going to a gun is not the answer. And for Christ sake of you're gonna shoot at least hit the right person.
And the fact that he collected his brass and ran away belies any claims to "guts to stand up for what was right."

Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
I'm wondering why the shooter didn't just shoot out the tires on the truck !

Probably would have been an easier target to shoot and the truck wouldn't have got very far.

The sound of a gun going off several times shooting out tires would have soiled the carjackers pants and would have sent them running.
He could have prevented the truck from being stolen and wouldn't have had the responsilbility of playing judge and executioner.
Tires are worth a lot less than human lives !

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
People do silly and sometimes really awful things in panic situations. Nothing the NRA, the range shooting lessons, or anything else can do to change that fact. Guns in the hands of amateurs are a recipe for disaster.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
There's another aspect of this that is being overlooked. The good guy with the gun had no way of knowing whether the thugs would come after him next. So he was left in a "fight 'em over there vs. fight 'em over here" situation. Under those circumstances his decision to go ahead and take them down looks pretty smart.

It's easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback this situation but this man had to act under tremendous pressure.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
It's easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback this situation but this man had to act under tremendous pressure.
NO HE DID NOT HAVE TO ACT AT ALL and nobody would have faulted him for it.

I thought gun nuts wanted the right to protect oneself in a life or death situation? What is with this getting involved in other matters where you may not even know who the bad guys are? Do I want some random stranger with a gun deciding my (or my family's) life? Christ... that could be just as bad or worse... get my car taken AND get shot by good-intentioned samaritan. Oh wait... that did happen. How about a crossfire that didn't have to start to begin with and my kids get shot? Brilliant.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:07 AM

169 posts, read 283,179 times
At least he got his car back...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
There's another aspect of this that is being overlooked. The good guy with the gun had no way of knowing whether the thugs would come after him next. So he was left in a "fight 'em over there vs. fight 'em over here" situation. Under those circumstances his decision to go ahead and take them down looks pretty smart.

Except he didn't take them down. He missed them, hit their victim and then ran away.

And did he have to act? We don't know that he did. He could have got in his car and driven away ... which he did anyway. Had he done that then the victim would not have got shot. I wonder how the victim feels about this? Does he feel that not losing his car (it was abandoned a couple of streets away) was worth a bullet in the head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events