Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 03:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Of course, it depends on one's definition of "rights", but to answer your question, when something interferes with my "right" to enjoy Christmas in the tradition I have come to expect (and that does not violate any laws), then I think that yes, my rights are being messed with.

And, to be clear, I am NOT talking about this "stupid" Starbucks controversy. That is a tempest in a coffee cup and a "brew-haha" over something really very silly. I mean, really, big deal!

However, it is just this whole "making everything PC" that has me so irritated. As I have said, I am an agnostic.
Did someone tell you that you couldn't decorate your house according to your traditions? Or go caroling? Ot send out cards? Or have a big dinner? Or go to mass if you so choose?

No?

Then no one is interfering with your traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 03:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yet we have "winter break" in schools which apparently coincidentally coincides with Christmas and no other holiday celebrated by a mass majority every year... Hmm.

All I'm saying is: call it Christmas break, because that's what it is. If that offends people, they need to get lives.
So since the majority believe something then screw the rest of society?

Why don't you call the break anything you want? Do the words on the school calendar really have that much effect on your enjoyment of the time with your family?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So since the majority believe something then screw the rest of society?
So since the minority believe in something, screw the rest of society (aka the majority)? How quickly the tables have turned on your logic.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
So since the minority believe in something, screw the rest of society (aka the majority)? How quickly the tables have turned on your logic.
Are you offended by "winter break"? Seriously? Thicker skin.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Are you offended by "winter break"? Seriously? Thicker skin.
No. I'm not. I'm just baffled as to why they remove the name "Christmas" from things, as if it is sooo offensive. Fact: December 25 is Christmas. It is celebrated by a large majority, and the religious majority in this country. Yet publicly, the word has been taken away more and more over the years. Soon, it will be too un-PC to even say Christmas. It will always be "holiday" or "winter." Why is Christmas so offensive to people, that we have to change it even though it is celebrated by the majority? Why is the minority (those who don't celebrate or aren't Christian, because being religious and celebrating aren't mutually exclusive when it comes to Christmas) catered to?

Unlike many people out there, very few things actually offend me.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I live in an area with more than just a small minority of Jews. So many live in this area that the elementary, middle, and high school are within an Eruv. I'm perfectly happy referring to the December & January vacation days as winter break, just as I am happy to use the term Spring Break, because I understand that Christmas is only one of several "holy days" celebrated in my community.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hmmm. I live in an area with a significant number of Jews, not just a small minority. So many live in this area that the elementary, middle, and high school are within an Eruv. I'm perfectly happy referring to the December & January vacation days as winter break, just as I am happy to use the term Spring Break, because I understand that Christmas is only one of several "holy days" celebrated in my community.
How many holy days are celebrated December 25? Hanukkah changes each year, sometimes it starts in November and does not even coincide with Christmas.

What other holiday celebrated by many anywhere in America also falls, always, between December 24 and New Years' Day (the same time as school breaks)?...

In NJ, most districts have off for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What's written on the calendar? Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What do we call them? "The Jewish Holidays," to make it easier. But they're referred to by their names. So what gives?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
How many holy days are celebrated December 25? Hanukkah changes each year, sometimes it starts in November and does not even coincide with Christmas.

What other holiday celebrated by many anywhere in America also falls, always, between December 24 and New Years' Day (the same time as school breaks)?...

In NJ, most districts have off for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What's written on the calendar? Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What do we call them? "The Jewish Holidays," to make it easier. But they're referred to by their names. So what gives?
So what? It's a break at the end of the calendar year, during which a Christian and secular holiday are celebrated. The presence or absence of Christmas, or Hanukkah for that matter, is irrelevant. Our school district also has a fall break that includes Halloween. Should we start calling that week off "Halloween Break?"

Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So what? It's a winter break at the end of the year, during which a Christian and secular holiday are celebrated. The presence or absence of Christmas is irrelevant. Our school district also has a fall break that includes Halloween. Should we start calling that week off "Halloween Break?"
Okay. Clearly you don't get it, so rather than go back and forth let's end it here.

I've made my point quite clear by now. Don't get it? Cool.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Okay. Clearly you don't get it, so rather than go back and forth let's end it here.

I've made my point quite clear by now. Don't get it? Cool.
I get it; I just disagree. But it's fine by me if you want to opt out of the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events