Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM

639 posts, read 579,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hell ,there you have it. The company itself said it's ok, must be ok.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Thandie Newton was in the film Crash with Terrence Howard, Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Ludacris blah blah blah

Perhaps that statue is meant as a tribute or memorial of some sort. Unfortunately it's necessary to be reminded of the bad things in hopes we won't do them again.

To me it seems silly to assume Starbuck's is somehow glorifying child or slave labor.

But if that's how they get their coffee (I don't know and rarely believe any company's statement) you can't accuse them of hiding.

Why not demolish all art, sculpture and architecture that references history? It's all bound to offend somebody.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Thandie Newton was in the film Crash with Terrence Howard, Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Ludacris blah blah blah

Perhaps that statue is meant as a tribute or memorial of some sort. Unfortunately it's necessary to be reminded of the bad things in hopes we won't do them again.

To me it seems silly to assume Starbuck's is somehow glorifying child or slave labor.

But if that's how they get their coffee (I don't know and rarely believe any company's statement) you can't accuse them of hiding.

Why not demolish all art, sculpture and architecture that references history? It's all bound to offend somebody.
Actually there are some folks in the Middle East/North Africa that are doing exactly that. I wonder if the PC crowd is capable of making the connection.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
The things that white people say or do no longer surprise me. People who are convinced of their racial superiority do not care who they offend. They believe that it is their birthright to subjugate.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

Except it's not history. Slavery is not a thing of the past and unfortunately still is an issue.

But even if it was, a child picking coffee beans should not be glorified in Starbucks. Its tacky.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:48 PM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
She has the right to her opinion.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:52 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You lost respect for her becasue she cares about forced child labor and doesn't think it should be so proudly displayed in a Starbucks in London?
So she tweeted about some current child labor practice in some country?

Oh wait, no she didn't.

She complained about seeing a statue or whatever you call it at a Starbucks.

Oooooh fight the power Thandie! Fight the power!

Maybe between sips she can tweet something about tibet, I mean holy crap she's practically the Dalai Lama and MLK rolled into one!

Old 01-10-2016, 06:06 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
She has the right to her opinion.
Maybe you can get some muscle on the people that have dared disagree with her?

That will learnify them not to mess with the free speech you agree with.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:14 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,577,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The things that white people say or do no longer surprise me. People who are convinced of their racial superiority do not care who they offend. They believe that it is their birthright to subjugate.

God bless your heart calipoppy. I don't know how old your are but it is amazing that you've had a chance to meet every white person and take the time to form an opinion of them. I'm old, and have met a few people of almost every color, and they all seem like just folks to me.

Mahalo.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So she tweeted about some current child labor practice in some country?

Oh wait, no she didn't.

She complained about seeing a statue or whatever you call it at a Starbucks.

Oooooh fight the power Thandie! Fight the power!

Maybe between sips she can tweet something about tibet, I mean holy crap she's practically the Dalai Lama and MLK rolled into one!
Yeah, cause tweeting really makes a difference

Instead of complaining on Twitter, she's actually involved in a number of charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events