Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm sure this is even healthy for the kid. He's 14 and is always surrounded by adults, in adult environments.

I'm all for people's right to homeschooling, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that this is good for the kid.

He needs to be with people his own age, he needs to learn how to socialize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:57 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
If I was in that locker room I wouldn't want to be around a teenager everyday.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
7 pages and I've only been through the first one. Sorry. I see the consensus is against the father's decision. If he chooses time with his son over money - I have no problem with that. His decision. Something his son will be thrilled about forever.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:56 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
on the news, they said the guy is going to retire.. he probably was going to do it anyway, this just pushed him to make that decision.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Always funny how the internet has to be extremely judgemental on everything even when not called for...neither side has done anything outrageous in my opinion....the team was within its rights to make its request and its not that big a deal for an already rich guy to walk away from additional millions

Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM

281 posts, read 345,032 times
The idea that all of his teammates are OK with it is silly. This would not be an issue if some of them didn't complain. Of course the fact that LaRoche was awful last season and is 36 makes acting on the complaints much easier. And his kid might not have been the only issue. His proselytizing likely wore thin, even with his fellow Christian teammates but it's not PC to punish a player for being a religious zealot, so they use the kid as an excuse.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:03 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
His dad was quoted here in the Chicago Tribune as saying " The wife and I aren't real big on school, he can learn more about life here with me". And to top off this idiot , some of the Sox players wanted to boycott because of this. Just as the old saying goes " Sports doesn't build character, in reveals character."
One of my relatives has a bunch of professional baseball players as clients. Out of all the ones I've met and attempted to talk to, neither of them were of quality character. Pro baseball players are total douche bags. The death of that stupid, boring sport cannot come soon enough!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
It must be wonderful to be able to walk away from that kind of money. It's so far out of my ability to be able to relate. There's that peasant side of me that thinks he's crazy to walk away from that kind of money. There's that side of me that's envious that he's so comfortable financially to be able to walk away from that kind of money. There's also that side of me that admires him for being so involved with his son.

The super rich have different priorities I guess.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
7 pages and I've only been through the first one. Sorry. I see the consensus is against the father's decision. If he chooses time with his son over money - I have no problem with that. His decision. Something his son will be thrilled about forever.
I suggest you read all the posts before you make snap judgements. It's not primarily about the father's decision quitting his job to be with his child. It's also about his entitlement minded attitude that he should be allowed to do something no one else in the working world is allowed to do. It's about the consideration of his fellow teammates. It's about not letting the kid spend time with others the same age.

The unfavorable consensus goes way beyond the first page but not just for the reasons you are assuming.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Also, shouldn't the kid be in school? How is he in the clubhouse while school is in session?
A large bulk of the baseball season falls during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events