Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times

Advertisements

I read an article in today's WSJ about a law in Auburn, KY (actually the broadening of a law about dog poop) that requires all horses walking on streets to wear a "waste collection device."

But the Amish refuse, saying this violates their religious beliefs.
("Thou shalt not encumber thine equine with undergarments, neither cotton nor linen nor cloth of flax"?)

The city considers this a health and safety issue (I agree!), and that shoveling the horse manure is not a good solution because it is dangerous to stop in the middle of a highway to scoop the poop.

Now THERE'S a conflict about religious freedom I never thought I'd see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I read an article in today's WSJ about a law in Auburn, KY (actually the broadening of a law about dog poop) that requires all horses walking on streets to wear a "waste collection device."

But the Amish refuse, saying this violates their religious beliefs.
("Thou shalt not encumber thine equine with undergarments, neither cotton nor linen nor cloth of flax"?)

The city considers this a health and safety issue (I agree!), and that shoveling the horse manure is not a good solution because it is dangerous to stop in the middle of a highway to scoop the poop.

Now THERE'S a conflict about religious freedom I never thought I'd see.
I wish I could think well of the Amish, but I don't. This isn't the first law they think they should be able to simply ignore.

My solution: Don't allow them to drive their buggies through the streets if they won't put diapers on their horses. Give them a steep fine if they continue to do it.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Is Amish buggy traffic really heavy? Really whats a plop of horse poo or two its organic. It will feed the birds and wash away next rain only to fertilize the ground.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times
If the Amish in buggies
had horses in huggies
no road apple is seen
and the roads will be clean.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times
Many of the younger folks won't understand when I say it's not a big deal with the horses. When I was growing up in the suburbs the milkman ,breadman and huckster just to name a few all served us with horse and buggies. The horse droppings were not a big deal. Now thinking about it. It would be unfair to let horse poop sit in the street when dog owners can be fined for not cleaning up after their pets.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is Amish buggy traffic really heavy? Really whats a plop of horse poo or two its organic. It will feed the birds and wash away next rain only to fertilize the ground.
It can get pretty heavy!
Attached Thumbnails
Amish refuse to follow law requiring "horse diapers"-78697baf6929f7243912a47375a2ffc4.jpg  

Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If it's a heavily Amish-populated area, yes, the buggy traffic could be heavy. Organic or not, it can carry disease, it stinks, looks disgusting, and I don't want piles of horse crap on my local roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
If the Amish in buggies
had horses in huggies
no road apple is seen
and the roads will be clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I wish I could think well of the Amish, but I don't. This isn't the first law they think they should be able to simply ignore.

My solution: Don't allow them to drive their buggies through the streets if they won't put diapers on their horses. Give them a steep fine if they continue to do it.
It's hard to think well of the Amish with all of their puppy mills, but that is an entirely different topic.

The town does issue a fine for non-compliance with the diaper law, which some have refused to pay resulting in a 10-day jail sentence.

I can't imagine what "religious belief" would be violated by wrapping a cloth around their horses's hiney. Seriously???

Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
I'm no expert on horses and their leavings, but I do recall back in the day of hansom cabs in NY that the cabbies would have a bag placed right behind the horse's behind to collect the droppings. Certainly something like that wouldn't be violating the Amish religious beliefs?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:03 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I'm no expert on horses and their leavings, but I do recall back in the day of hansom cabs in NY that the cabbies would have a bag placed right behind the horse's behind to collect the droppings. Certainly something like that wouldn't be violating the Amish religious beliefs?
One of their commandments is Thou equine shall freely defecate on thine street. (I'm paraphrasing)

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 01-23-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
What a load of No group can be allowed to hold themselves above the law for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events