Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
It certainly isn't as far as the Amish are concerned.
They don't trailer their horses.... All they will spread is local grasses....
It's got nothing to do with trailing. It's how seeds are spread. Hay/grass is full of weeds and the horses eat the weeds, along with the grass/hay. Horses poop out weed seeds along with fertilizer. More weeds grow.

The only way to stop it is with certified weed free hay. But that's expensive! Better to just put a bag under the horse. It solves so many problems.

And I'm still waiting for a reason why this isn't done by every horse owner? Every car has to have pollution control on it's tail pipe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is Amish buggy traffic really heavy? Really whats a plop of horse poo or two its organic. It will feed the birds and wash away next rain only to fertilize the ground.
Sure, right in the middle of your kid's school crosswalk.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is a group that doesn't want to vaccinate their children from disease. They think sending kids to school through eighth grade is sufficient. There are issues within the community that pertain to domestic abuse and child abuse that are a direct result of their religious teachings.

I basically see people like that as at war with the modern world.

I don't dispute their right to their religious beliefs--no matter how wacky they may be.

What I have a problem with is when it begins to affect the rest of us. This situation with the horse dung may be a relatively minor issue, but its the same story. They want to live their life, their way. They don't particularly care whether it bothers the rest of us or not.

I don't deal well with people like that.

My best guess is that you don't deal well with anyone you consider different enough that you feel somehow compelled to impose YOUR will, YOUR morality, YOUR dictates and statist views upon. After all THOSE people "don't particularly care whether it bothers the rest of us or not."

Heaven forbid you be bothered by someone YOU view as different. Just out of curiosity... what demands are they making via law or city ordinance on you and your lifestyle just because they view YOU and YOUR lifestyle as different? Furthermore, if you were a heathen who refused to pay for being such a sinner, you too would be subject to spend 10 days in jail? Name a single law or ordinance they impose upon you... and not just you markg91359, but all of you who think you have some right to dictate YOUR will upon these Amish people or anyone else for that matter. By what right do you make a demand to impose YOUR will upon another if their action or inaction does not encroach upon your rights or property?

There is little that I despise more than statism created by malum prohibitum laws and ordinances.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Why do you say it's poop on a road that no one will drive or walk through? Someone already posted that their tires are constantly caked in horse poo. Any place I have ever lived have laws requiring dog owners to "scoop the poop." Horses leave a much bigger mess than dogs do.

It's very ironic to me that an Amish person would claim horse diapers violate their religious beliefs, yet they have no qualms using public roads built with the very technologies they are supposed to shun.

I find these demands laughable when groups like mounted officers of the Austin or NYC Police department aren't required to diaper their horses or pick up their horses poop. Oh wait... THOSE officers are a different kind of citizen. They're putting their lives on the line, so those pesky laws and city ordinances shouldn't apply to them, right?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
Have to agree with the Amish on this one. Poo is their exhaust. Society should deal with it, like they deal with us.

How about we make a law requiring a hose running from the exhaust pipe into the car? Why do Amish have to breath that smoke all of the time when you pass them? Take your damn carcinogenic gases with you. When you get home, open your car door and let them out.

"Well that's outrageous!"

Yeah, like this pseudo law

Old 01-23-2017, 05:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is a group that doesn't want to vaccinate their children from disease.
Many do vaccinate.

Do Amish vaccinate their children?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Mark,

Whilst I agree with you I think we should tread lightly here. The next thing you know the Amish will demand to be exempt from Social Security withholdings.

It's the unintended consequences we need to be mindful of.................
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4029.pdf

Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I read an article in today's WSJ about a law in Auburn, KY (actually the broadening of a law about dog poop) that requires all horses walking on streets to wear a "waste collection device."

But the Amish refuse, saying this violates their religious beliefs.
("Thou shalt not encumber thine equine with undergarments, neither cotton nor linen nor cloth of flax"?)

The city considers this a health and safety issue (I agree!), and that shoveling the horse manure is not a good solution because it is dangerous to stop in the middle of a highway to scoop the poop.

Now THERE'S a conflict about religious freedom I never thought I'd see.
They would hardly be the first to claim that since they have a religious excuse, they don't have to obey a law that they rest of us have to follow.

Religious snowflakes.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:24 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It's got nothing to do with trailing. It's how seeds are spread. Hay/grass is full of weeds and the horses eat the weeds, along with the grass/hay. Horses poop out weed seeds along with fertilizer. More weeds grow.
!
This thread is about the Amish, in that regard your invasive weed argument has no merit... It has everything to do with trailering, there horses or mules don't go very far...
I get it, you don't like horse people, but that's for another thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Mark,

Whilst I agree with you I think we should tread lightly here. The next thing you know the Amish will demand to be exempt from Social Security withholdings.

It's the unintended consequences we need to be mindful of.................
The Amish got the Social Security Act amended so they wouldn't have to pay social security tax. I suppose that's one more beef that I have with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
My best guess is that you don't deal well with anyone you consider different enough that you feel somehow compelled to impose YOUR will, YOUR morality, YOUR dictates and statist views upon. After all THOSE people "don't particularly care whether it bothers the rest of us or not."

Heaven forbid you be bothered by someone YOU view as different. Just out of curiosity... what demands are they making via law or city ordinance on you and your lifestyle just because they view YOU and YOUR lifestyle as different? Furthermore, if you were a heathen who refused to pay for being such a sinner, you too would be subject to spend 10 days in jail? Name a single law or ordinance they impose upon you... and not just you markg91359, but all of you who think you have some right to dictate YOUR will upon these Amish people or anyone else for that matter. By what right do you make a demand to impose YOUR will upon another if their action or inaction does not encroach upon your rights or property?

There is little that I despise more than statism created by malum prohibitum laws and ordinances.
The Amish aren't just different. They're a totally separate community. I believe in making allowances for diversity. For example, in my office, we have two people who speak English as a second language. I am a member of a religion, myself, that many do not consider mainstream. I'm a Mormon, although not a very good one, so I do understand what being a religious minority can be like.

I don't deny my opinion is a personal one and others may not share it. However, when people refuse any integration into the general community that's when they lose me. The Amish have done this by fighting social security, vaccination, attempts to deal with the issues of domestic abuse within their community, and, less significantly, by fighting over this horse drawn carriage law.

I don't buy the idea that you can justify every action in your life simply by claiming its a "religious practice".

Having said that, I visited Lancaster County, Pennsylvania once and there is a lot of good Amish food there. I'll give em that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Interesting, but even if 63% vaccinate that's a heck of a lot of Amish that don't.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-23-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events