Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Your opinions and desires don't supersede the rights of others.
Nor to theirs.

But where exactly is it spelled out that one has a right for their animals to leave horse s--- on public highways. Which Constitutional article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The article didn't say anything specific, but here are some quotes:

"...violates the ability of Amish residents to exercise their religion."

"...equine diapers violate the community's religious standards."

"...the law is singling out the Amish."

All very vague, and nonsensical to me.

And while the article did use the term diaper several times, when quoting the law it said "properly fitted collection device."
Sorry, I missed this but as you say, this is very vague and without the context of those quotes, pretty meaningless. The chain of logic to the various articles I have read seem to be that 1) the Amish don't drive cars and rely on horses for transportation and their livelihood 2) I believe it was a non-Amish vet that decided that poop bags on horses, the way Amish use horses, aren't a good idea for the horses 3) the Amish say that they feel the horses would be frightened by the bags which brings us back to 1) the Amish use horses in their every day practise of religion and the bags would interfere in their minds, due to a)frightened horses or b) what the vet had to say and thus incidentally interfere with their freedom of religion.

It singles out the Amish, or appears to, because the Amish are really the only ones this law would impact.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
lol. I call BS. Big Time BS.

And yes, I would know.
You would know what?

Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Sweetie, it is a simple solution to a REAL problem. Why do you think there are laws. Hint, it isn't the horse owners who are voting in these laws. Clean up after your pet!

And as far a weeds go, I'm not talking about bringing in invasive species (in the case of the Amish), I'm talking about spreading existing weeds. Many posts here have mention how great hose poo is for growing things, and weeds don't exactly need any help...

Can you tell me why you, and everyone who has a horse as a pet, can't simply use one of these?
Show me where it is a real problem. There are some town ordinances that are being fought in court, some have been struck down for lack of showing it is a problem, other places do not have such laws. I think laws have been put in place in some communities, well I dont think one article said it, because of complaints by citizens and it was amended to the order to clean up dog poo. Complaints dont mean there is a real problem. It means someone doesnt like it. There is no evidence of any health or weed problem.

Ill ask you why are horse riders in parades or individual horse riders not required to have their horses wear diapers if it is such a real problem.

Why I would not use a horse diaper. Because a drop of poop in the middle of a county road a couple times a year or along a horse trail is not an issue. No one is walking there, it cant be smelled over other smells, it doesn't cause a health hazard, it will wash away first rain. It can cause the horse to spook or irritate the horse during a ride. If my horse pooped where there is human traffic, like parking lots, driveways, parks, etc. where humans would come directly in contact with it I would clean it up. I am sure dog, cat, bird owners dont always clean up their pets poo if it is not in an human accessible area.

As far as weeds go the same post are testimony to there not being weeds in the horse poo. You have not shown any evidence to the fact because there is no evidence that horse poo spreads weeds. You havent even clarified what weeds you are talking about. Give us scientific name(s) of a toxic, destructive, invasive or nuisance weed that are proliferated and spread by horse manure.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Does not being able to control one group of animals mean that we cannot control another group of animals. One group is wild, the other is domesticated. You're grasping at straws here.
2. So if we can't solve a problem 100%, we shouldn't work on fixing it at all? You're grasping at straws here, too.
3. I wasn't aware that many humans were defecating on the roads. You're grasping at straws once again.

1.Why is one group of animals pooping a problem and another group doing the same thing not a problem?
2. Show me the problem.
3. I have no idea what your talking about.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As I dont see how it pertains to their religion either they do have points in that a device is not required for parade horses or other riders and there is no evidence their horse poo is a hazzard to the community as accused.
Every parade I've ever been to, someone is following the horses with a shovel and trashcan to clean up after the horse. So while a bag may not be attached to a horse, it is still being cleaned up after.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Can you tell me why you, and everyone who has a horse as a pet, can't simply use one of these?
Because many horses simply won't tolerate having a flapping piece of canvas smacking against their hindquarters. They'll bolt - and a bolting horse in harness is a major emergency. Those bags also don't hold very much manure, which makes them impractical for extended periods in harness.

The poop catchers that fasten to the buggy shafts don't have the same likelihood of spooking the horse, and are therefore safer. They are also larger in capacity (which matters to the Amish, who are going to be working their horse a lot longer than the average pleasure rider or driver is going to be riding about).

Check out post #3 in the Chronicle of the Horse thread: Manure catching bags and good citizenry

And here's a picture of the type of poop bag that most drivers use: Horse Diaper - Manure Bag Nylon Big Black Horse LLC. The top snaps fasten to the harness, the bottom ones to the shafts; the weight is held mostly by the shafts, and the bag is held open suspended behind the horse. The horse may feel the upper edge of the bag brush its hindquarters, but it's not going to be whacked by the bag as the buggy moves.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Every parade I've ever been to, someone is following the horses with a shovel and trashcan to clean up after the horse. So while a bag may not be attached to a horse, it is still being cleaned up after.
Thats not the issue. As per the article cleaning up in that manner was something the Amish suggested. The law states the Amish horses wear a diaper or collection device. The clean up or prevention is only imposed on the Amish buggies is my understanding.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:41 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Why should they be given a pass?

I bet if a certain religion (wink wink) refused to follow a law or rule in America, some of the same people here sympathizing with the Amish would then mock these followers and tell them to go take a hike (out of America) if they don't want to follow rules.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why should they be given a pass?
Modifying the law to allow the Amish to use an APPROPRIATE collection device is hardly "giving them a pass."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events