Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 11:20 AM

783 posts, read 577,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What we really have here is a group that wants to live a very traditional lifestyle. Yet, they insist on living among a huge population that does not share their values.
Did the Amish recently move to this area, or have they been living there for a long time? If it's the latter, you can't really say that they 'insist' on living among people who don't share their values. Because it would mean that the population has grown up AROUND them and now the Amish are the ones being asked to change to fit a changing community.

If that is the case, then I have to side with the Amish. If their practice hasn't changed in say 200 years, then I'm not in favor of placing the burden on them. Let the community who is expanding around them deal with the known issues. It's like moving to a nuisance. You knew about it, so deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Do the people who go out of their way to make excuses for the amish...ever actually have any experience with the amish?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
THAT is a reasonable and good idea. At the same time requiring diapers seems a bit excessive. Cleaning up in public use areas, no problem. Nobody should step on a turd in a parking lot or even run over it on a public road.

What are we going to do about wild animal feces on roads, or dead animals, and trash. Lets not forget about cleaning up after the human animals.

I agree about public use areas, parking lots and places people walk. Roads a turd here and there, meh.

Can someone post a photo of a road or public use area littered with horse feces. I would really like to see the dilemma we're dealing with here.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Do the people who go out of their way to make excuses for the amish...ever actually have any experience with the amish?
I have to admit I dont have experience with Amish. We have Mennonite communities here and dont experience any problems. I wouldn't say I'm going out of my way to make excuses I am just trying to understand if there is a real problem.
People say, yes I have had poop on my tire, yes there is heavy buggy traffic, horse poop is the main culprit in distribution of the weed epidemic and then I here no its not a problem.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
As a child, (yes, it was a looong time ago) the milkman, breadman, iceman, produce huckster, all had horses pulling their wagons and nature being what it is, when they horses had to go, they went.

My Grandpa had a beautiful flower garden. His dahlias were the size of dinner plates. And that was because I had a little shovel and a pail and when there was no traffic, I scooted into the street, scooped up the turds and put them in the bucket. I took them to the back yard where Pop had a small area for keeping fresh poop. When it had aged to the point that it wouldn't burn the plants, he'd mix it with some soil and work it into the flower beds. He got beautiful flowers. I got 2 cents a turd!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
If horses are not the primary cause of the spread of weeds, the why does CO (and many other states, I assume) have laws on the books?
Because birds are hard to prosecute.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
I wonder how many of the people who think this is a major health hazard eat fast food on a regular basis?
Or smoke? Drink pop? "I drink a 6-pack of Mountain Dew every day and I'll be dad-gum if I want some fly landin' on my can after it lit on some road apples!"

The fact of the matter is, horse poop is pretty clean stuff as poop goes. It doesn't carry the same kind of nasty bacteria that human feces does. In fact, if it weren't for the likely presence of wormer it would be edible. Although I still wouldn't recommend it because it tastes like crap.

Horses really don't spread noxious weeds to any extent. They mostly eat grass, alfalfa, clover, corn, and oats. They don't generally eat Canada thistle. If you see a patch of Canada thistle where horses often travel it most likely sprung from seeds dropped by birds who stopped there to pick through the horse manure for bits of corn and oats.

I read a couple of local articles on this issue. The law does in fact require a diaper of sorts to be attached to the horse. A device attached to the buggy won't suffice. Knowing a little about horses, I can assure you that something like this won't work.

I'd have to see some photographic evidence before I buy into the idea that these horses are creating a lifestyle-altering level of manure. We've got a pretty large Amish population in my county, and while you do see organic evidence of their travels along the road, it's certainly not enough to cause a significant problem. Heck, I see way more dead possums on the road than piles of horse manure, and they're a much greater threat to public health.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Yes. This community I reside in is amicable to the life style choices. It's a public road, not "my" road. Most ppl of this faith do have leather bags for their horse manure.

I cannot speak ill of my fellow citizens... I saw first hand how they live the word of their faith. When their school children were shot in a small school house...They showed dignity where others could not ...

I get that the odor and sight is unpleasant...I also get that they didn't ask to be catered to, they asked to be left to their traditional ways...Big difference.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I wonder how many of the people who think this is a major health hazard eat fast food on a regular basis?
Or smoke? Drink pop? "I drink a 6-pack of Mountain Dew every day and I'll be dad-gum if I want some fly landin' on my can after it lit on some road apples!"

The fact of the matter is, horse poop is pretty clean stuff as poop goes. It doesn't carry the same kind of nasty bacteria that human feces does. In fact, if it weren't for the likely presence of wormer it would be edible. Although I still wouldn't recommend it because it tastes like crap.

Horses really don't spread noxious weeds to any extent. They mostly eat grass, alfalfa, clover, corn, and oats. They don't generally eat Canada thistle. If you see a patch of Canada thistle where horses often travel it most likely sprung from seeds dropped by birds who stopped there to pick through the horse manure for bits of corn and oats.

I read a couple of local articles on this issue. The law does in fact require a diaper of sorts to be attached to the horse. A device attached to the buggy won't suffice. Knowing a little about horses, I can assure you that something like this won't work.

I'd have to see some photographic evidence before I buy into the idea that these horses are creating a lifestyle-altering level of manure. We've got a pretty large Amish population in my county, and while you do see organic evidence of their travels along the road, it's certainly not enough to cause a significant problem. Heck, I see way more dead possums on the road than piles of horse manure, and they're a much greater threat to public health.
If what you say is true, I wonder why they don't go after the law as unfounded and unnecessary, rather than claiming horse diapers violate their religious beliefs. That is the puzzling reason I started this thread.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
That's the beauty of religion, it can persuade people to embrace just about any screwball notion such as it would breach the cosmic order to put a butt bag under your horse's backside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events