Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Interesting, but even if 63% vaccinate that's a heck of a lot of Amish that don't.
In some high income areas of the US the rate among the non Amish is even lower. Most Amish who do not vaccinate do so for the same reason others do not: fear promoted by the anti-vax community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have spent a considerable amount of money to reduce the emissions from my vehicle power plants. I see no reason the Amish should get away with not cleaning up after theirs. Besides I do not want to have to clean Horses**t off my car's tires and suspension after driving to town.
Do tell your virtuous tale. Please tell me how you use so much less CO2 than the Amish, tell me how you live off the land and value it, replenishing it for generations in the same place. Tell me how you live without electricity, without a cell phone, without electric lights. Please give us all the wonderful details.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is Amish buggy traffic really heavy? Really whats a plop of horse poo or two its organic. It will feed the birds and wash away next rain only to fertilize the ground.
In Amish communities, yes buggy traffic is heavy. There are several areas of Kentucky that have large Amish populations. I live in an area with Amish and Mennonites who use horses and buggies. The roads they frequently travel have horse manure on the side of the road. It takes far more than one rain shower to remove the waste. In the summer, it smells! Feces contains bacteria. Bacteria you want nothing to do with.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I'm not talking about the Amish, exclusively. It's the entitled attitude that a lot of horse owners have that "their **** don't stink".

The whole issue has a VERY simple solution, but of course the horse owners don't want to do it? I ASK WHY?

If horses are not the primary cause of the spread of weeds, the why does CO (and many other states, I assume) have laws on the books?

In my area they grow $$ high altitude hay, that has high protein content for race horses. It's FULL of weeds and you can see it from miles away when the flowers bloom.
Honey, state and federal parks have lots of guidelines. Asking horse riders to take care not to interfere with the natural habitat does not equate to horses being the primary cause of the spread of weeds. They ask the same of hikers, camper, vehicles and any other visitor to the parks. Please show any supporting evidence that horse poop is the primary cause of spreading weeds. If your animals stay in your local area the only "weeds" that can be in their system is the "weeds" that are already growing naturally in your local flora.

I guess it no wonder folks from Colorado have paid $10/bale for a $3 bale of hay in TN. Horse owners here wont feed their old trail horses weedy hay, it can give them colic. We feed that crap to cows and goats. But honestly from what I could research Colorado hay is just fine, similar to the mixes here. Any grower worth their salt isnt going to try to sell weedy hay.

And putting a diaper on a horse or stopping every time it poops isnt a simple solution to something that isnt even a problem.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
I've travelled through Holmes County, Ohio (where one of the largest Amish settlements in the US live) many times, to visit family. I don't remember manure being much of an issue. I mean sure, there would be a pile, every once in a while. But I don't think it was much more common than, say, road kill, though. Also, if I noticed a manure smell, it was from livestock on the farms we were passing, and not the lonely bit of manure in the road.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I've travelled through Holmes County, Ohio (where one of the largest Amish settlements in the US live) many times, to visit family. I don't remember manure being much of an issue. I mean sure, there would be a pile, every once in a while. But I don't think it was much more common than, say, road kill, though. Also, if I noticed a manure smell, it was from livestock on the farms we were passing, and not the lonely bit of manure in the road.
Good point, lets hope GregW tells us of his personal "green" initiative that causes him to look down on Amish polluters. We can ask if his electric car, which displaces pollution, has an automatic road kill clean up capability.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It spreads weeds, unless the horse is feed certified weed free hay.

Not to mention it stinks and attracts flys.

What's so hard about picking up after your pet? If horse crap is so good, you keep it!
Actually, I used to beg my horse-owning neighbors to bring me their horse poop when they mucked their barns. It's the most wonderful thing on earth for gardens.

And really, horse poop doesn't smell. Not like animal poop, anyway. It largely smells like hay. I think it smells wonderful.

That said, I pick up after my dog so yes, I do expect horse people to pick up after their animals. There is a time and place for horse ****. Roadways don't qualify.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
What? Ohio doesn't have state laws requiring people to quickly scoop up livestock waste and dispose of it properly to end the epidemic of "spreading weeds".

Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
My best guess is that you don't deal well with anyone you consider different enough that you feel somehow compelled to impose YOUR will, YOUR morality, YOUR dictates and statist views upon. After all THOSE people "don't particularly care whether it bothers the rest of us or not."

Heaven forbid you be bothered by someone YOU view as different. Just out of curiosity... what demands are they making via law or city ordinance on you and your lifestyle just because they view YOU and YOUR lifestyle as different? Furthermore, if you were a heathen who refused to pay for being such a sinner, you too would be subject to spend 10 days in jail? Name a single law or ordinance they impose upon you... and not just you markg91359, but all of you who think you have some right to dictate YOUR will upon these Amish people or anyone else for that matter. By what right do you make a demand to impose YOUR will upon another if their action or inaction does not encroach upon your rights or property?

There is little that I despise more than statism created by malum prohibitum laws and ordinances.
I understand your thoughts. Along your lines of thinking could we require pet owners to clean up after their pets?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I understand your thoughts. Along your lines of thinking could we require pet owners to clean up after their pets?
THAT is a reasonable and good idea. At the same time requiring diapers seems a bit excessive. Cleaning up in public use areas, no problem. Nobody should step on a turd in a parking lot or even run over it on a public road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events