Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 AM

28,937 posts, read 30,297,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
2 bodies found inside Joshua Tree National Park - LA Times

Bodies of two missing California hikers found locked in embrace, police say | Fox News

Those descriptions make no sense. There are no 'remote regions of the park' near the Maze area. The Maze is hemmed in by Highway 62 and development less than two miles to the north, and a campground and developed area less than two miles to the east. Furthermore, even before you get to the highway or the campground, you're on descending slopes above them where you can see for miles - including roads, houses, the campground facilities, and so forth. Just west and south of the Maze is a paved road (running diagonally, northwest to southeast) through the park following and open area where it can easily be seen. Two miles in any direction from the Maze leads to development, clear views of civilization, or clear and easily-followed trails which lead to a trailhead at a parking lot.

This is not a remote area of the park.
the whole thing sounds funny....they said they found two bodies, hugging/or embracing each other? They are pretty sure, they are the missing hikers, but...how could they have died together, unless it was a murder by suicide?

Doesn't make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

28,937 posts, read 30,297,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Tragically sad ending. Careless, unprepared hikers get lost and needlessly die all too often these days.

Hikers should wear a fluorescent vest with reflectors on them, to make it easier for rescuers to spot them from above.
or some kind of tracing device....right?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
The two hikers found near LA had eaten shrooms and were found separated with almost no clothing on. Both were in pretty bad shape.

It could be the same thing.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I took the post to mean that the hikers should have been able to see something from where they were found.
Obviously, though, the reverse would also be true. Anyone from those vantage points would be able to see the hikers, as well. So what were all those search parties doing, if the bodies could be seen from the highway, or parking lot?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The two hikers found near LA had eaten shrooms and were found separated with almost no clothing on. Both were in pretty bad shape.

It could be the same thing.
OK, this is actually making sense.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,173 times
i think it's interesting that they died together like that.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i think it's interesting that they died together like that.
I was actually suspecting foul play, and that someone left them like that, to throw suspicion off, but Taxpayer's 'shroom theory is the only thing that makes sense of all the evidence, given the earlier case that sounds similar.

What an incredibly dumb, reckless thing to do; go into a park during severe, extreme heat, to do drugs? What's wrong with kids these days, that they have no common sense? I'll tell you, you can't even get me to go out the front door during 100 degree heat, lol. But I didn't grow up in LA, maybe there's greater heat tolerance among SoCal residents.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-17-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Couple comments:
1) No doubt the autopsy will shed light on the subject.
2) Dehydration can cause the same disorientation as drugs
3) News reports are typically hastily written and contain errors which often make things sound weirder than they were.

Glad they found them for their families to have closure.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was actually suspecting foul play, and that someone left them like that, to throw suspicion off, but Taxpayer's 'shroom theory is the only thing that makes sense of all the evidence, given the early case that sounds similar.

What an incredibly dumb, reckless thing to do; go into a park during severe, extreme heat, to do drugs? What's wrong with kids these days, that they have no common sense? I'll tell you, you can't even get me to go out the front door during 100 degree heat, lol. But I didn't grow up in LA, maybe there's greater heat tolerance among SoCal residents.
my son and i went to joshua tree recently and drove the park blvd loop, starting where joshua tree visitor center is off hwy 62 and then exiting at 29 palms on hwy 62. it's a fun drive and we got out several times to walk around. we never strayed far from the trails and the road though. there are a bunch of small parking lots along the way and many trails. it is hard to understand how they would get lost out there. as someone else mentioned, there are trails and roads and campgrounds and people. we went in march and it was hot then. i can't imagine going at the end of july. it's so hot there then.

i wouldn't immediately go to the drug theory. but who knows. maybe murder suicide or double suicide. sad any way you look at it though.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 AM

16,285 posts, read 10,431,766 times
20 and 21 years old. Dear Lord what a horrible tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events