Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our opinion on the taste, good/bad looks, etc of her outfit is irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is if it violates an actual rule/law.
Yup, the restaurant apparently has a no shirt, no shoes, no service policy. The question then obviously becomes, is a crop top a shirt? Is it less of a shirt when it's worn this way on a pregnant woman? On someone with a flat or relatively flat stomach, it covers a lot more than it's covering this pregnant woman (and to be frank, it looks a lot better). There is a difference IMO between a crop top and something that falls about where a sports bra or bikini top would. Her entire stomach is exposed and her shirt falls just below her breasts. That, as other said, fits in that sense more like a sports bra than a typical crop top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 PM

32,986 posts, read 36,507,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I know that I, certainly, when I go to a restaurant, check to make sure that every other patron isn't barefoot. It's quite important to me to know that no one eating in the same restaurant I am is perhaps barefoot.

Actually, no, I don't do that. And I've never seen anyone do it.

I would have absolutely zero problem doing so

No. Not really.
Her shirt does say "weirdo", so you got that right.
Inappropriate dress is in the eye of the beholder.
As is crazy. I'd say she looks pissed off or upset - which, considering she was just kicked out of the restaurant, makes sense.
The restaurant doesn't want anyone to cut their foot on a piece of broken glass that didn't make it to the dust pan. Even very casual places insist on some kind of footwear.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,155,969 times
Quote:
Let's do that;;
If 1 out of those 100 says they're fine with it, then you're statement that "no one wants to see that is incorrect".
Should we put a wager on it? How confident are you that your opinion is universally shared?

You may want to remind yourself what the restaurant said about the situation.

Also, this.

Except that the rules/laws are based on our opinions.
Go right ahead and start a CD poll. If you win, I'll mail you a donut. I'll even send you a picture of my belly. Ain't NOBODY wants to see that.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,931,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Go right ahead and start a CD poll. If you win, I'll mail you a donut. I'll even send you a picture of my belly. Ain't NOBODY wants to see that.
Why do we need a poll?
I think there are enough comments in this thread to say that not everyone thinks this woman's attire is inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The restaurant doesn't want anyone to cut their foot on a piece of broken glass that didn't make it to the dust pan. Even very casual places insist on some kind of footwear.
So? What has that to do with anything?

I don't think the people in this thread criticizing this woman are worried she's going to fall and cut her belly on a piece of broken glass.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,976,857 times
From a purely fashion perspective...

Pink boho maxi skirt paired with a statement crop top with words on it? Guuurrrl, it's 2017. You would have looked less dated in a Mrs. Roper-style caftan...at least you could claim that it was retro, or that you were being ironic.

As for whether or not the restaurant was justified? I guess so. Restaurants can refuse entry for things like not wearing a tie & jacket. However, this place is a glorified diner, inside a strip mall, on the side of a highway, so I have to wonder how strict they've been in the past about their supposed dress code.

Yeah, this lady's outfit is tragic, but I don't see what the big deal would have been to seat and serve her.

I've seen similar or worse inside diners, IHOP, Waffle House, Red Robin, TGIFriday's, etc. etc. Her outfit and her belly would not have interfered at all with my ability to enjoy my dish of warmed-over, pre-packaged frozen, mass produced casual dining slop. She might have caught my eye, at which point I would have done an inner eye roll and said 'Girl, no', to myself. And that would have been that. I wouldn't have been disgusted at the sight of her (that "THING"...really, City Data?), and certainly would not have cared enough, or at all, to complain to management, or to lose my appetite.

I see very little difference between this lady's outfit, and the below.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,886,552 times
I don't care one way or the other about whether this chick or any other covers up x, y or z part of her body while out and about, but as I understand it, it's completely legal for restaurants to have a minimum standard of dress and decline to seat customers who don't meet it.

I want restaurant food but don't want to put on suitable clothing, I get take-out.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

Pink boho maxi skirt paired with a statement crop top with words on it? Guuurrrl, it's 2017. You would have looked less dated in a Mrs. Roper-style caftan...at least you could claim that it was retro, or that you were being ironic.

As for whether or not the restaurant was justified? I guess so. Restaurants can refuse entry for things like not wearing a tie & jacket. However, this place is a glorified diner, inside a strip mall, on the side of a highway, so I have to wonder how strict they've been in the past about their supposed dress code.

Yeah, this lady's outfit is tragic, but I don't see what the big deal would have been to seat and serve her.

I've seen similar or worse inside diners, IHOP, Waffle House, Red Robin, TGIFriday's, etc. etc. Her outfit and her belly would not have interfered at all with my ability to enjoy my dish of warmed-over, pre-packaged frozen, mass produced casual dining slop. She might have caught my eye, at which point I would have done an inner eye roll and said 'Girl, no', to myself. And that would have been that. I wouldn't have been disgusted at the sight of her (that "THING"...really, City Data?), and certainly would not have cared enough, or at all, to complain to management, or to lose my appetite.

LOL Yeah, those aren't exactly the types of crop tops that are in style now. The skirt is fine, especially for a pregnant lady who wants to be comfortable, but not with that top. And I personally wouldn't go with that color but that's just me.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Let's do that;;

Except that the rules/laws are based on our opinions.
I hope to god not.

Mob rule shouldn't triumph sense and adherence to principles

Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,914,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

I consider these outfit inappropriate for every day wear. It doesn't matter the size or pregnancy status. You pull up your pants, cover your belly. All is well.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Pregnant Woman Reportedly Denied Service At Restaurant For Wearing A Crop Top | HuffPost

A Washington woman who is 7.5 months pregnant with twins showed up to the Buzz Inn Steakhouse in Marysville wearing a black crop top that says "weirdo" and a long pink maxi skirt. She was turned away, the restaurant claiming her shirt violated their "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. Mom claims her outfit violated the health code, but the restaurant didn't appear to make that argument. Mom's livid and feels as if she's been body-shamed. If you watch the video there is a photo of her outfit that night.

I don't think her outfit is appropriate in general, not just for a restaurant or a pregnant person but for someone her age to be wearing out in public at all. But I do wonder if a slim teenager would have been turned away for wearing the same; despite what the restaurant claims, I have a feeling she wouldn't have been.

Anyway, the restaurant issued an apology. I'm curious what others think about this.
Call me old fashioned, but crop tops are not appropriate everywhere. I also agree with the poster who said that this crop top, emblazoned with the word "weirdo" looked more like a sports bra.

The whole outfit was just not tasteful. She was seeking attention - and she got it.

"Body shamed"? NO. It was her sill get up, not her body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events