Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Why confused? 20 years later she has overcome the demons that led to her murdering her child. She has done twice as much time as most for the same crime. She is no longer a threat to society.
Were she your child I think you would agree to let her out. But you don't want to be honest or challenge the easy hate or lack of empathy of your shallow beliefs.
How do you know she has overcome her demons? I don't see anything in that article that says she has had intensive therapy and repented or shows remorse for her actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,434,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong.

In a civilized society (as we claim to be), the legal system represents and speaks for "society" in matters regarding crime and justice.

You, as an individual, may not like a particular decision but we, as the greater whole, agree to accept and live by this rule of law (or societal understanding), rather than engage in emotional vigilantism and mob rule.
Preach to St. Louis, Baltimore, Charlottesville rioters about "emotional vigilantism and mob rule".

Decent individuals may choose to shun a mother who beats her 4 year old and leaves him in pain, terror, and alone to die.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-19-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,650,688 times
I had a lot of responses but I guess it boils down to this. I have worked with and studied about abused, neglected and murdered children for over 20 years. The abuser/murderer very seldom serves any significant time and I rarely see or hear of protestations of remorse. You get more time for crimes against property than you do for crimes against children.

What this child may have suffered over 4 years is beyond a lot of you peoples comprehension, his death may have been a blessing. But, she could have given him up for adoption. Why didn't she ? Was he a way to get benefits, etc ? That seems to be the current route that is taken. But, oops, she tortured and killed him and then she covered up her crime as
though he were a piece of garbage.

I believe in redemption and forgiveness and so forth but, all the accolades, chest beating and hand wringing over the fact she has rehabbed herself so, let's give her the world.......forget the kid....... that poor, defenseless, helpless, unloved 4 year old little boy.

And, 50 years was the original sentence which we all know doesn't mean a thing in this day and age......we are all so taken when someone stands up and becomes a self sufficient human being, we go off the edge with giddiness.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,096,526 times
I can't believe all these people supporting a child killer. 20 years in prison for killing a child is in no way "paying your debt to society".

Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I can't believe all these people supporting a child killer. 20 years in prison for killing a child is in no way "paying your debt to society".
Since you don't make the rules and she got out of prison would you prefer she just be entirely unemployable? Is that a better option you know to continue paying her debt to society while society supports her?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 AM

30,416 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. When a person has paid their debt to society, they should be given a reasonable chance to reintegrate into society in terms of work, residence, and education. If they aren't what is the alternative? That they become outcasts existing on the margins of society?

Yet, I do have to agree with NLVgal that I would not be happy, if I were not accepted and the slot was given to someone who was a child murderer.

PhD programs are generally funded, meaning they students are given a stipend to cover living expenses and their education is free of charge. They are also highly competitive.

What I am wondering is why this particular woman was sought out by so many well regarded schools? Were her GREs very high? What special abilities does she have that other applicants lack?

It seems that certain (but not all) high profile universities accept two kinds of people -legacies and people who have lived in extreme circumstances - were homeless, refugees, brought up in abject poverty etc.

But this is the first time I have hard of a child murderer being accepted to a PhD program.

I need to learn more.
Did you read the article? I have a Master's Degree, and would say she's WAY more accomplished than I am! For starters: "Jones, now 45, became a published scholar of American history while behind bars, and presented her work by videoconference to historians’ conclaves and the Indiana General Assembly. With no internet access and a prison library that hewed toward romance novels, she led a team of inmates that pored through reams of photocopied documents from the Indiana State Archives to produce the Indiana Historical Society’s best research project last year. As prisoner No. 970554, Ms. Jones also wrote several dance compositions and historical plays, one of which is slated to open at an Indianapolis theater in December."

Considering her background (horrible abuse), age at the time of giving birth (16) and the murder (20), I believe she should NOT be punished eternally. She served half of her life thus far in prison, and has no doubt become a better person with something to offer society. I applaud her for this, and wish her success in the coming years. I also weep for her son, but I'm sure she does plenty of that too. Every day, I'd imagine.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:00 AM

30,416 posts, read 52,044,124 times
In reading my above post, I realized it explains why I've always wanted to become a prison librarian (I'm a public librarian now). All people are worthy of a second chance, and of bettering themselves through learning. Not everyone will use that chance for good, but I'd be proud to assist those who do. I'll remember this discussion, if I ever end up applying with the prison system.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,155,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In reading my above post, I realized it explains why I've always wanted to become a prison librarian (I'm a public librarian now). All people are worthy of a second chance, and of bettering themselves through learning. Not everyone will use that chance for good, but I'd be proud to assist those who do. I'll remember this discussion, if I ever end up applying with the prison system.
Two thumbs up. If a person can be salvaged, they should be, and books unlock the door.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
She claimed it was non-consensual sex. I find that hard to believe. Many 14 year olds are out there having sex. Did it become non-consensual once she was pregnant? If she was literally forced to have sex, where's the police report? Doctor's visit? I don't buy it.

Many people never confess to crimes, but are found guilty. People also confess to crimes they didn't commit. Yes, I have no problem with her being in hell for an eternity because she MURDERED someone. Her horrible past doesn't give her a free pass in life. She could have gone and gotten professional help. Instead, she chose to murder her son and hide his body....a body that police have NEVER found.

I was abused by my parents throughout my childhood. Spent more time in family court than anyone should. That didn't give me a free pass to go out and do whatever the heck I wanted to do. I have NEVER murdered anyone. I never even thought about it!
It's common for victims to not report sexual abuse. Don't doubt her because of the lack of police report or medical report (which wouldn't be released anyway). I don't find it at all hard to believe that she was raped. Given the environment she grew up in, it seems as likely to me as consensual sex, maybe even more likely.

Rape is common. It's also usually committed by someone the victim knows and usually isn't some super violent struggle like you'll see on TV. It can even be very confusing.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,743,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its very sad to see so many people wishing punishment for life nowadays, once a person pays their debt to society, they deserve to start over with a clean slate as much as anyone else, in fact its one of the founding principles of our legal system.

However, what I see today is more mob rule than anything else, once someone is even alleged of a crime, people start off on how they need to be punished in terrible ways, often violent deaths even! Its strange, these are probably people who otherwise claim to be good proud americans, but in reality, they would be happier under a nazi style rule, where even a simple allegation is enough to be put to death.

And by the way, when did so many people become so pro-police/ or pro-govt? They seem to take allegations made by these 2 groups very seriously and pretty much trust everything they say...if police say so and so is guilty of X...well they are 100% guilty then, no need to even have a trial or a court hearing, sadly this is the mentality nowadays, where is people used to take the side of their fellow citizen over police or authority in a heartbeat.
She murdered her own child in cold blood. The phrase "Lock her up and throw away the key" was coined for situations such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events