Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,915,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There are things about a person's mind that can be revealed in some of these personality tests - which are quite extensive, by the way. I have taken one with over a hundred questions on it. Some people feel it violates their medical privacy to take one of these.
But they aren't the same thing as a mental health evaluation. They have a very different purpose and don't cost 1000s like a real psych eval does. But I am done pointing out the obvious differences. I have said all I need to say, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,969,042 times
Update: Wesley Mathews indicted today for capital murder of little Sherin Mathews.

Wesley Mathews indicted for capital murder | WFAA.com

Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 8,761 times
I sometimes wonder what is wrong with me - based on what I see in society, I must be at least a little different. I see a story like this and my first reaction [if I am in a private setting] is to cry for a little girl like this. My second reaction is to become angry and want to find the person responsible and beat him senseless. [But violence really isn't my true nature so this generally passes soon.]

I wonder what it is about a humans that allows them to harm someone who is helpless.

Will people ever evolve beyond this kind of cold cruelty?

Last edited by MySweetLord; 01-12-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,421,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Update: Wesley Mathews indicted today for capital murder of little Sherin Mathews.

Good. But I wish he and his wife would come clean and admit what they did. They're both toast anyway, Texas hates child murderers. I hope Wesley gets the death penalty.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,915,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySweetLord View Post
I sometimes wonder what is wrong with me - based on what I see in society, I must be at least a little different. I see a story like this and my first reaction [if I am in a private setting] is to cry for a little girl like this. My second reaction is to become angry and want to find the person responsible and beat him senseless. [But violence really isn't my true nature so this generally passes soon.]

I wonder what it is about a humans that allows them to harm someone who is helpless.

Will people ever evolve beyond this kind of cold cruelty?
Honestly, your reaction sounds pretty typical. We just like to fight about it once we processed our feelings.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

I cheered when I heard that on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Good. But I wish he and his wife would come clean and admit what they did. They're both toast anyway, Texas hates child murderers. I hope Wesley gets the death penalty.
Since he's a foreign national it's less likely. Texas has been handing out fewer and fewer death sentences since the law changed to allow life without the possibility of parole, and the state is more skittish than ever about executing foreigners. That's not to say it hasn't happened or that ambassadorial interventions have worked, but it's a big kerfuffle that makes it less likely.

Normally I'd say that the state's huge Indian population would bring some pressure to bear, but they're barely even admitting that the Mathews are from India too...so maybe there won't be any.

Right now I'd say it's possible that the DA will go for the death penalty but not likely that he'll get it. Dallas County is much more squeamish now about it and I think Harris County (Houston) has always been far more aggressive at seeking (and getting) the death penalty.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM

130,856 posts, read 12,212,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I cheered when I heard that on Friday.

Since he's a foreign national it's less likely. Texas has been handing out fewer and fewer death sentences since the law changed to allow life without the possibility of parole, and the state is more skittish than ever about executing foreigners. That's not to say it hasn't happened or that ambassadorial interventions have worked, but it's a big kerfuffle that makes it less likely.

Normally I'd say that the state's huge Indian population would bring some pressure to bear, but they're barely even admitting that the Mathews are from India too...so maybe there won't be any.

Right now I'd say it's possible that the DA will go for the death penalty but not likely that he'll get it. Dallas County is much more squeamish now about it and I think Harris County (Houston) has always been far more aggressive at seeking (and getting) the death penalty.

If he had a green card, or naturalized, then maybe he should not be considered a foreigner. Justice should be blind to national origin, race or creed. I thought I read somewhere he was American born anyhow???

Old 01-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Since he's a foreign national it's less likely. Texas has been handing out fewer and fewer death sentences since the law changed to allow life without the possibility of parole, and the state is more skittish than ever about executing foreigners. That's not to say it hasn't happened or that ambassadorial interventions have worked, but it's a big kerfuffle that makes it less likely. .
Why would another country want to intervene to prevent Mathews from getting the death penalty, anyway? He's not some innocent person being railroaded.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,539,733 times
Both of them have cold shark eyes.

Did they ever release the results of the autopsy?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Both of them have cold shark eyes.

Did they ever release the results of the autopsy?
Yes, they said the child died from homicidal violence. So apparently it wasn't a choking death as Mathews had claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events