Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
He was one of the better evangelists. He took pains to stay above reproach. Although criticized for refusing to be alone in a room with a woman, he realized the possible risks.
I think VP Pence exercises the same caution. In light of recent events I would be inclined to view the caution as....simply brilliant.

Imagine the outcry if some shameless female had claimed rape when nothing happened? With no witnesses....his reputation could have been destroyed.

Imagine if said female was an aggressive hussy and managed to get a hand down his trousers? I learned a powerful lesson about that once. Yet people laugh when I say it has some similarities to rape.

If I was a celebrity I think it may be smart to turn on a recorder in any situation that could evolve into a "he said....she said" type of event.

Women can have their honor etc. destroyed and that is horrific. Men can, and do, get their reputations destroyed. While most accusations are considered to be legitimate, there are many documented cases of unstable people seeking their moment of fame or money or............................

What harm comes from being cautious? Given the events of the past year I am shocked to see this caution portrayed in a negative light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I think VP Pence exercises the same caution. In light of recent events I would be inclined to view the caution as....simply brilliant.

Imagine the outcry if some shameless female had claimed rape when nothing happened? With no witnesses....his reputation could have been destroyed.

Imagine if said female was an aggressive hussy and managed to get a hand down his trousers? I learned a powerful lesson about that once. Yet people laugh when I say it has some similarities to rape.

If I was a celebrity I think it may be smart to turn on a recorder in any situation that could evolve into a "he said....she said" type of event.

Women can have their honor etc. destroyed and that is horrific. Men can, and do, get their reputations destroyed. While most accusations are considered to be legitimate, there are many documented cases of unstable people seeking their moment of fame or money or............................

What harm comes from being cautious? Given the events of the past year I am shocked to see this caution portrayed in a negative light.
I don't blame them. I'm not a religious man, but I think Graham did far more good in the world. Sure, he had faults and things he wished he hadn't said like anyone.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Billy Graham: net worth, $25 million.

Evangelist Was One of the Richest Pastors in America

Must've been one of those 'supply-side Jesus' guys!

Rather sickening that he dies with 25 million net worth. How does he justify that? Think of all the starving kids he could have helped instead of keeping all those offerings from middle or lower-income people.

Remember what Jesus said about the rich man entering heaven----

Old 02-23-2018, 12:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Rather sickening that he dies with 25 million net worth. How does he justify that? Think of all the starving kids he could have helped instead of keeping all those offerings from middle or lower-income people.

Remember what Jesus said about the rich man entering heaven----
I just don't see these bitter and uninformed words against any person much less a man just died.

Do you think for one moment that in 60 years of evangelism he only pulled in $25M? Where do you think the remaining caboodles of contributions went? In his pocket? Why do you think people who knew him and knew his works have only good to say about him?

Billy Graham has nothing to justify.

His salary plus living expenses was $150K a year. Plus he wrote 30 books, most of which were best sellers. The math is easy. (150K X 60) + (30 X <1M average book) + any residuals/royalties/investments gets you in the $25M range easily. Oh, and his wife wrote books too, so throw that in there.

He opened his personal and Billy Graham Evangelical Association books to external and independent audit. He played it straight and he expected his employees to do the same. He ran a tight ship without scandal. and he did good in the world.

Just don't get it.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:12 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

Because they're LOOKING for something to criticize. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He hurt nobody by being that cautious. He probably protected a lot of women's reputations throughout the years too. Imagine in his heyday of fame, if he had the misfortune to be alone with a married (or single) woman. His enemies (and just petty people) gossip about that. Now it's not just his reputation, but her reputation that is damaged.

No person with any common sense is actually going to be offended with this level of caution. They will know that he isn't saying he suspects any given woman of making false accusations... All it takes is 1% of women to do it, and he's in a world of hurt. So why take the chance?

The only people who would be genuinely inconvenienced are the ones who plan to falsely accuse him and are thwarted by his caution.

As for criticisms about his wealth—this is another one that annoys me. A lot of people are very rich, do they all get the same criticism for it? How much is too much money? At what point are any of us expected to give up our wealth "to the poor"? How big of a house can you have before you're criticized? How expensive can your kid's college be before you're told you should have spent the money on the poor? Can you have more than one car, or are you told that you could have used that money for the second car on the poor instead?

It's just so much BS. A lot of us could make do with less than what we already have, and give more to the poor. Do we?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I just don't see these bitter and uninformed words against any person much less a man just died.

Do you think for one moment that in 60 years of evangelism he only pulled in $25M? Where do you think the remaining caboodles of contributions went? In his pocket? Why do you think people who knew him and knew his works have only good to say about him?

Billy Graham has nothing to justify.

His salary plus living expenses was $150K a year. Plus he wrote 30 books, most of which were best sellers. The math is easy. (150K X 60) + (30 X <1M average book) + any residuals/royalties/investments gets you in the $25M range easily. Oh, and his wife wrote books too, so throw that in there.

He opened his personal and Billy Graham Evangelical Association books to external and independent audit. He played it straight and he expected his employees to do the same. He ran a tight ship without scandal. and he did good in the world.

Just don't get it.

Haters gonna hate. Christians been drawing a lot of fire in an increasingly Godless society.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:05 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I am Agnostic bordering on Atheist and I recall him mostly when I was a child.
On tv once or twice a year and my 1000 yr old baby sitter watched him . This was late 60's early 70's.
As a child he seemed like a kind man , I am not fond of his son and made me wonder over the years if Billy was that way or had changed somehow. I did not keep up with him of course but any remarks made about anyone were like 50 years ago and people do change and it does say ( in the JTA link Retriever posted ) he apologized fairly recently so you don't really know how he was at the end years of his life Many people have changed that are in the public eye .

Via JTA :
In 2002, Graham apologized for the remarks, and Jewish community leaders accepted his apology — but the relationship would never again be the same.
So thats up to them now, if they feel they have been slighted, to forgive or not .

Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am Agnostic bordering on Atheist and I recall him mostly when I was a child.
On tv once or twice a year and my 1000 yr old baby sitter watched him . This was late 60's early 70's.
As a child he seemed like a kind man , I am not fond of his son and made me wonder over the years if Billy was that way or had changed somehow. I did not keep up with him of course but any remarks made about anyone were like 50 years ago and people do change and it does say ( in the JTA link Retriever posted ) he apologized fairly recently so you don't really know how he was at the end years of his life Many people have changed that are in the public eye .

Via JTA :
In 2002, Graham apologized for the remarks, and Jewish community leaders accepted his apology — but the relationship would never again be the same.
So thats up to them now, if they feel they have been slighted, to forgive or not .

What remarks did he make? I somehow missed all that... Thanks for any help.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I can only speak for myself, of course, but to me, any TRUE Christian -- and especially a minister/pastor -- would be ashamed to die with more than his fairly modest home paid for and perhaps $500,000 in additional assets, if that -- as a safeguard against old age, sickness and possible poverty; to my way of thinking, this just stinks of hypocrisy. (And, also, this is one of the reasons I also think the Catholic Church is also terrible for being so wealthy.)

To be clear, I have nothing against wealth if it is earned honestly and obtained without hurting anyone, but I think it is nothing short of outrageous that some people get rich due to the gullibility/stupidity of others.

That, of course, is my opinion, and you, of course, are entitled to disagree.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I can only speak for myself, of course, but to me, any TRUE Christian -- and especially a minister/pastor -- would be ashamed to die with more than his fairly modest home paid for and perhaps $500,000 in additional assets, if that -- as a safeguard against old age, sickness and possible poverty; to my way of thinking, this just stinks of hypocrisy. (And, also, this is one of the reasons I also think the Catholic Church is also terrible for being so wealthy.)

To be clear, I have nothing against wealth if it is earned honestly and obtained without hurting anyone, but I think it is nothing short of outrageous that some people get rich due to the gullibility/stupidity of others.

That, of course, is my opinion, and you, of course, are entitled to disagree.
So a true Christian should have no more than 500k and a modest house. How did you come up with that? How much should non-Christians have?

Are you also implying that Billy Graham earned his money dishonestly or hurt someone? If so, please explain. Did he somehow force people to buy his books? Are people guilable/stupid to buy his books versus buying some other kind of book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events