Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post

And this is why misunderstandings occur.

Please explain to me how, when I only have raincoat, I am supposed to move a box that I didn't have. There was NO Box.
Yes, I know you did not have a box. You know that you did not have a box. The FA who is quickly walking down the aisle for a final safety check is not going to stop at every row of seats to determine exactly what is blocking the aisle way.

That is part of the problem. FAs have 200-300 other people to worry about. They do not have the time to grt to know each passanger personally. You knew you had a raincoat that was sticking out from under the seat, so you should have just moved it instead of playing dumb. FAs dont have time for these silly games that passamger play, they have more important things to worry about. Same with the dog. The dog was not her responsibility, it was the owner's responsibility. The FA's job at that time was makong sure the aisles were clear. She probably wasn't thinking of what was inside the black duffle bag, just that it was blocking the aisle and was a safety issue that needed to be taken care of before the plane could leave the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The owner was not allowed to get up because of turbulence.

It was not a pug. It was a Boston bulldog.
You should probably get your information straight before trying to correct another poster. It was a French bulldog, not a Boston bulldog.

And I highly doubt there was turbulence the entire 3 hour and 25 minute flight. She had time to get up and check on the dog, she chose not to.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
big difference. A baby is a person. A dog is an animal.
+1.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This New York Times article makes it clear it was the flight attendant who placed Kokito in the overhead bin. United, through a spokesperson, states they take "full responsibility" for what happened.

Bragging that you're taking full responsibility implies you are righting the wrong you did. For example, if they lost someone's luggage, writing a check for 150% of the value of the suitcase's contents is taking full responsibility.

They can't make this right, ever. I'm glad a full investigation - BY AN OUTSIDE SOURCE OTHER THAN UNITED - is being done. This wrong is compounded and compounded. Not only did she place the dog in the overhead compartment against United's policy, all the other FA's ignored the dog barking in the overhead bin. If they try to say they didn't notice, that's not a very attractive answer either is it? A dog was barking for 1/2 hour - 2 hours on the plane and none of us noticed. Right. You have your tray table down they notice. Who doesn't notice a dog barking on a plane??

Word to the wise - if you're doing something to someone's property and they are protesting vigorously, you can't really complain you couldn't understand what the person was saying and so you did it anyway. Find someone who can understand them. I can understand that daughter clear as a bell, and so could the FA, and so could the surrounding passengers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...dog-death.html

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-17-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

It was not a pug. It was a Boston bulldog.

The passenger relied on the [totally lacking] expertise of the FA that the dog would be safe.
French bulldog. And the owner should have been aware of the health issues of brachycephalic dogs BEFORE she acquired this one.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I can GUARANTEE one thing---nothing will happen to the flight crew of the ill-fated dog. United will make a lot of noise about how sorry they are, etc, etc....the incident will blow over, and the same FA will continue on the same flight, probably empowered now, hey, not only can she decide who to kick off from flights before take-off, and make passengers on the flights miserable, now she gets to kill dogs! Such fun!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That is why I said ask your vet! I would never by an over the counter med to give to my cat.
Sedatives and tranquilizers are central nervous system depressants which means that they slow normal brain function. They can cause lower blood pressure and slower breathing.

Prescription tranquilizers will depress breathing in animals the same way it does in human beings, except that we tend to have noses better designed for breathing than some breeds of dogs and cats, such as the dog that died on the United flight.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:59 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I know you did not have a box. You know that you did not have a box. The FA who is quickly walking down the aisle for a final safety check is not going to stop at every row of seats to determine exactly what is blocking the aisle way.

That is part of the problem. FAs have 200-300 other people to worry about. They do not have the time to grt to know each passanger personally. You knew you had a raincoat that was sticking out from under the seat, so you should have just moved it instead of playing dumb. FAs dont have time for these silly games that passamger play, they have more important things to worry about. Same with the dog. The dog was not her responsibility, it was the owner's responsibility. The FA's job at that time was makong sure the aisles were clear. She probably wasn't thinking of what was inside the black duffle bag, just that it was blocking the aisle and was a safety issue that needed to be taken care of before the plane could leave the gate.
While it is true that the FA has 200-300 other people to worry about; the FA is also supposed to handle people's property in a way that does not damage that property; which includes animals (for which the passengers pay extra fees for United to transport safely). When an FA insists that a dog in its carrier be moved to a location different from the one that the airline promised the dog's owner(the paying passenger), the FA becomes responsible for the consequences of that move; since the FA, not the passenger, is the authority on board the plane. The passenger in this case told the FA that there was a dog in the carrier; other passengers (at least one person) heard her say so; and heard the FA tell the passenger that the dog would be safe in the bin. If the passenger tells the FA that there is a dog in the airline-approved carrier; then the FA must pay attention if the FA is acting as an agent/employee of the airline; since the passenger is not allowed (by the rules of the airline) to remove the dog from the carrier to show the FA that there is, in fact, a dog inside the carrier. Also, the FA clearly violated the rules of United Airlines, which specify that no animal be placed in the overhead bin.

If there was a safety violation; all the FA had to do was spend two minutes helping the passenger rearrange her (or whoever's) inanimate luggage that was preventing her from stowing the dog in its carrier beneath the seat in front of her and placing the dog-in-carrier beneath that seat; or spending even more time evicting the family and dog from the plane altogether. Either way, the dog would have lived and United Airline would have been spared considerable criticism and embarrassment and the passenger and her children would have been spared the horror of unloading a dead dog. (not to mention the pain and suffering of the dog)

Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The point is that poster seems to feel bringing animals infringes in the rights of travelers and because if that, it is selfish to bring them. By THAT definition of selfish (which is not mine btw) bringing a baby would be equally selfish if not more so. By that definition it doesn’t matter if it’s a human or animal because it is judged a selfish act based on potential inconvenience to other people. Other passengers don’t care whether it’s a crying baby or mewliing puppy keeping them up.

Again not my view and I have no problems with either babies or pets in planes.

And yet again, this is not an animal rights vs human rights issue because it is people who want to transport their property safely, not a dog who wants to see the world buying a ticket.
What about a BARKING dog??? I would be more understanding of a crying baby than an animal making a noise. A baby is a human being, a dog is a pet, sacred to that family but of no importance to others on the plane. I traveled 8 hours last year from Europe and there were 3 crying babies on the flight and a couple of young kids who were cranky. Yes, it was annoying, but I would have been mad if it had been animals making noise. They are just animals!!!

Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What about a BARKING dog??? I would be more understanding of a crying baby than an animal making a noise. A baby is a human being, a dog is a pet, sacred to that family but of no importance to others on the plane. I traveled 8 hours last year from Europe and there were 3 crying babies on the flight and a couple of young kids who were cranky. Yes, it was annoying, but I would have been mad if it had been animals making noise. They are just animals!!!
If you travel on a plane belonging to an airline which transports dogs as well as people, and allows certain dogs to stay near their owners, then you must accept that there is a possibility that the dogs will bark. You are not traveling in a flying library. Responsible owners will try to quiet a barking dog, but short of sedating them (which is done sometimes, and can also be risky) there is no guarantee that they will succeed in making the dog stay quiet. The only thing you can do, legally, is start your own dog-free airline or start some kind of citizen movement to ban all dogs from being allowed in the cabins of airlines, cargo only.

Yes, they're just animals; and like babies, they can't understand that their barking might upset people. Hopefully you're enough of an adult to control your anger if a dog barks for hours on a plane. It's not their fault, and it's not always the owners' fault. Often, the dog is just fine on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events