Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Unless a half dozen witnesses step forward and state that they plainly heard the word dog, or that the dog was barking as it was put into the overhead, or that the FA picked it up and it was obvious the dog was wriggling around in the bag, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the FA. The bag does not look like a pet carrier, and it's quite possible she may have been told but did not understand when the woman was saying it was a dog.
I'll concede it's possible because people do stupid things all the time, but it doesn't make much sense for any FA to risk their job by placing an animal in the overhead, especially if there are witnesses. Have any other witnesses come forth other than the woman with the original twitter post?
I would agree with you if the dog didnt bark for 2 hours lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Unless a half dozen witnesses step forward and state that they plainly heard the word dog, or that the dog was barking as it was put into the overhead, or that the FA picked it up and it was obvious the dog was wriggling around in the bag, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the FA. The bag does not look like a pet carrier, and it's quite possible she may have been told but did not understand when the woman was saying it was a dog.
I'll concede it's possible because people do stupid things all the time, but it doesn't make much sense for any FA to risk their job by placing an animal in the overhead, especially if there are witnesses. Have any other witnesses come forth other than the woman with the original twitter post?
The bag IS an approved pet carrier.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
OK. Let's dissect this.

The dog owner had placed her dog in an approved pet carrier in her footspace on a plane.

You tell me now, how that dog ended up in the overhead bin.

Why do you need SIX witnesses who heard that there was a dog in the carrier, when 3 witnesses came forward and heard that exchange between the FA and the customer. Why do you need others who were much further away from the interaction to have clearly overheard it?

And then INNUMERABLE people who heard the dog in the overhead bin barking?

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-16-2018 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
On an airplane, Flight attendants are pretty much like LE officers. Once you're in the air, they actually ARE the law.

Um no they are not.

The FA didn't "supposedly" tell her to do it, she ordered her to, and by most accounts she was the one who physically placed the dog in the overhead bin, despite protests by the family.

The FA is not GOD. The dog owner is an idiot. Would she had put her infant in the overhead storage? I'm guessing NO.

The dog owner likely would not know about the overhead bins, and how inappropriate they are for live animals; an FA would or should.

Common sense. The owner payed for an under the seat animal ticket.

I'm so curious why you are so consistently hard on the dog owner, and not the FA who caused all this?

It' is ultimately up to the dog owner to ensure the welfare of the dog.

You're acting as if the dog owner placed the dog in the overhead bin over the protests of the Flight Attendant.

Let's be honest here...both the FA and the dog owner were idiot's. They both lacked common sense.

I heard on talk radio news tonight that they both may be looking at animal cruelty charges. I can only hope the judge has the balls to actually enforce those charges.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
Quote:
OK. Let's dissect this.

The dog owner had placed her dog in an approved pet carrier in her footspace on a plane.

You tell me now, how that dog ended up in the overhead bin.

Why do you need SIX witnesses who heard that there was a dog in the carrier, when 3 witnesses came forward and heard that exchange between the FA and the customer. Why do you need others who were much further away from the interaction to have clearly overheard it?

And then INNUMERABLE people who heard the dog in the overhead bin barking?
Not to mention that the carrier is clearly almost entirely mesh on at least one side (The unzipped side in the photo) and lifting a soft sided carrier with a dog of that weight inside is considerably more awkward (as dogs tend to panic and shift their weight around while the carrier is elevated) than lifting luggage.

There is nothing believable about the claim that the flight attendant wasn't fully aware that the bag contained a live animal.

I don't believe it is likely that this flight attendant is some heartless
monster..I do believe either an appropriate protocol for the handling of such situations wasn't in place or this person was either lacking in training or electively went against company policy (the latter of which I highly doubt).

IMHO this is most likely a case of poorly trained employee makes tragic mistake.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:26 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
French Bulldogs look exactly the same now as they did in the 1800's when they first became popular. There have been mummified remains of a dog called the Chincha bulldog found in ancient Peruvian tombs that look just like it. You make it sound like they are some sort of modern designer dog, they're not.
No they don't. They have become more brachycephalic over time, as have other dogs like boxers, and cat breeds like Persians. There are breeders who are purposefully pushing the envelope as far as breeding for a more extreme look, and the animals are the ones who end up suffering. Personally, I think brachycephalic animals are ugly, and to breed towards rhat look is unethical.

https://thehappypuppysite.com/brachycephaly-in-dogs/

Old 03-17-2018, 12:31 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Then maybe it shouldn't be, at least for airplane travel. Hard-sided carriers protect better since nothing can smash into the carrier and collapse the sides, for example.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-17-2018 at 12:43 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 12:46 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm going to be travelling soon with my cat on a flight and I am worried about this. I did research well in advance and chose an airline that gives me the best chance of having no problems. The airline has agreed to allow my pet onboard under the seat in front of me in her airline approved soft carrier. I have paid the fee they require. I have done all my due diligence and this trip must be made (moving).

When the day arrives I am going to be on edge all day wondering what people are thinking and I'm almost expecting some sort of confrontation. Especially if my cat starts meowing or something. I think I'll be have a few drinks on this flight to try and relax.
It was stressful. I'm the last person who wants to cause a scene or cause stress for another person. I would have had a cocktail (or two) but I was pregnant. LOL. Worst flight of my life. I was embarrassed, wanted to hide after that woman had a fit. Wishing you luck on your flight.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
I'm so curious why you are so consistently hard on the dog owner, and not the FA who caused all this?
Because the owner was the one who was responsible for the dog, not the FA. The owner made the choice to put her dog in an overhead bin, which is what led to the dog's death. She could have said no, she could have talked to another FA, the pilot, or gotten off the plan and talked to another representative of the airline. She chose not to any of this, and instead went with the easiest option, killing her dog.

And even though she went with the easiest option, sticking her dog in the overhead bin, she never once checked on the dog during the 3 hour and 25 minute flight. Not once while the dog was barking did she care about its well being. Instead she just sat there listening to her dog die. What kind of a monster does that?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean that everyone can instantly recognize a black duffle bag as a pet carrier, especially when it is partially underneath a seat and between someone's legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events