Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,770,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Actual Mexican food is as cheap as Taco Bell where you live? Interesting
Yes, especially when you consider the appetizer basket of chips and salsa is included in the price of the entree. Now if I order a margarita then the price goes way up, obviously.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,617,423 times
Lightbulb Taco Bell is 'America's favorite Mexican restaurant'

No it isn't.

It's America's nationwide chain of cheap psuedo-Mexican imitation "food."

Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,494,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No it isn't.

It's America's nationwide chain of cheap psuedo-Mexican imitation "food."

Yep.

I bet some people think french fries are 'America's favorite French cuisine!' ...

Old 05-14-2018, 06:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,617,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you want real Mexican food you go to a real Mexican restaurant, if you want faux Mexican food you go to Taco Bell,
Ironically when people say this they are often referring to the local tex-mex joint where the menu is nothing like what is served in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, especially when you consider the appetizer basket of chips and salsa is included in the price of the entree. Now if I order a margarita then the price goes way up, obviously.
Okay then walk me through this.

How much does the entree cost? Where I lived in USA a basket of chips and salsa usually comes in a sit-down restaurant where lunch specials are $7 and dinner entrees are $9-$15. Throw in a soda for $2 more, then tax, then a tip of 15-20%.

How on earth is that less than a $6 Taco Bell combo meal that includes the drink? You entree would have to cost less than $3.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,704,981 times
Taco Bell is junk. Google the quality of the meat they use. They survive because people are lazy to make their own or too cheap to dine at an authentic, sit down Mexican restaurant.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,120,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I love Taco Bell. It's super cheap, and I can get vegan options. You can get whole beans, instead of refried beans. It's healthy fast food, if you don't glom a bunch of sour cream, etc., on them or get the fried stuff. I can get two bean burritos fresco (no cheese, added veggies) for around $3.00. Do the drive-through, have my own water in the truck.

It's just really nice to have a cheap, fast food option that is actually healthy and vegan. No wonder they're doing great.
Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 AM

The best chain taco/tex mex place I have ever eaten at is Taco Cabana. They use REAL ingredients that are cooked to order, too, but they only have them here in Texas.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Taco Bell is junk. Google the quality of the meat they use. They survive because people are lazy to make their own or too cheap to dine at an authentic, sit down Mexican restaurant.
The sad part is that for what you pay for a combo or for enough food to at least get you HALFWAY full at Taco Bell, you can actually go to a sit down Mexican restaurant that uses fresh, real ingredients.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 AM

4,762 posts, read 795,630 times
I don't think it's even a fair characterization. Taco Bell isn't Mexican, Taco Bell is American.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,434,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
It's a part of American mythology that all of these mom and pop restaurants have such great food that is somehow more wholesome and more "authentic". A few do, most don't. That wonderful meatloaf you bought quite likely was delivered to them frozen on a SYSCO truck.
It really comes down to competition in most cases. 'Mom n Pop' is usually just a term used in contrast with 'corporate chain', and for the most part, the best restaurants in any given city are not part of a corporate chain.

However, a greasy spoon in the middle of nowhere can serve up any slop because the locals really have no choice (unless Applebees's opens up and then the locals swear up and down that Applebee's is the paragon of haute cuisine, sadly enough). But if a Mom n Pop tries to serve Sysco forzen meatloaf in my neighborhood which has 20-30 independently owned Mom n Pops, they'd die a quick death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Ironically when people say this they are often referring to the local tex-mex joint where the menu is nothing like what is served in Mexico.
The menu in Sonora is nothing like the menu in Oaxaca. The menu in Quintana Roo is nothing like the menu in Jalisco. Tex-Mex has more in common with the adjacent "authentic" cuisine in northern Mexico than northern Mexican cuisine has with other parts of Mexico.

If you consider the paradigm of "Mexican cuisine" as a heterogenous food culture arising from the use
and combination of typical food ingredients and source cultures of the region, which includes Spaniards, Native Americans, Lebanese, Anglo-Americans, and the French, as opposed to the cuisines strictly contained within a set of arbitrary borders resulting from competing statecrafts, then Tex-Mex is absolutley related to Mexican cuisine as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events