Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I can tell you I really WISH a whole slew of people would give up their phones, but not for a year, just while they're driving! I'm getting sick and tired of watching people blatantly text on their phone, not trying to hide it either, while they are driving. I will bet you a million dollars these people would never be able to live without their phones for a year, much less 1 hour.

I think car makers need to make a steering wheel that requires 2 hands on the wheel to be able to be driven. It has to have some kind of sensor, like cellphones do, that knows it's skin touching the steering wheel. And if a car manufacturer makes this...contact me, I'll let you know where you can send my check for the idea! Yeah, I know, it's not fool proof. You couldn't eat your French fries, smack your kids, put on your makeup, set your GPS, etc. etc. It was a good idea while it lasted.
What about amputees who can still drive, but have a prosthetic for the missing arm? I know many people like this that have no problems operating a car, or even a big 18 wheeler for that matter.

Heck, I tend to drive with one hand on the wheel, and the other on my leg because I was originally taught to drive with a stick shift, and you need one hand on the gear shift. Only thing I think would be best is if they make the smart phones automatically disable the texting services once the phone is going over 15 mph, but still keep the calling feature active in case somebody has to be talking to someone about directions, or a law abiding citizen trailing a kidnapping and talking to the police, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They know that we grew up without cell phones and computers. We own paper maps. I still have a compass in my glove box.
I'm only 40 and don't even really need a compass to figure out where I am going. Don't know how many times I was saved by noticing the direction of the sun/moon.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Nothing that they will insist requires a "smart"phone actually does, of course. But the answers will be entertaining.
I'm sure there are jobs where the smart phone might make someone's life more easier, but I can't see a company making it a requirement for their employees to have one. Heck, even the military is now banning smartphones because it's known that they can easily be hacked into and steal confidential data or listen in on top secret missions, and schools have long ago banned online researching as legitimate resource material. Even in court, you can't use online searches to research cases, you have to use the libraries that are attached to the court houses.

Heck, my job, we are required to put our smart phones in our lockers, because we work with the US Defense Department all of the time, and the government has required no cell phones in working areas because of the risk of hacking that can be involved. And even in the medical world, cell phones are also banned because they are afraid the signals that the cell phones emit might interfere with the electronic medical equipment. Same with air travel......

Old 12-31-2018, 11:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What do you do that requires you to have to have a smart phone?
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Nothing that they will insist requires a "smart"phone actually does, of course. But the answers will be entertaining.
I could not do my job without. Certain job sites are in far remote areas where a smartphone with Facetime/Video Chat is required to share live data and findings, all while calculating collected data on the go. You need one. Carrying a computer through remote wood trails and sharing live videos simultaneously does not work. Heck, I even need my phone to get through certain restricted areas. It opens gates.

Quote:
I'm sure there are jobs where the smart phone might make someone's life more easier, but I can't see a company making it a requirement for their employees to have one. .
It's a requirement. If you don't have one, they provide you with one. You can't do the job without one. At last, not at the level of efficiency they expect. You want the job? You need a smartphone.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I cannot access my computer at work without my phone. It is a new security thing. without computer access, I cannot work. Without work I cannot get money. Without money, I cannot live.

So the answer is no.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I cannot access my computer at work without my phone. It is a new security thing. without computer access, I cannot work. Without work I cannot get money. Without money, I cannot live.

So the answer is no.
Someone gets it.

Welcome to the modern world.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Engineer

I could not do my job without. Certain job sites are in far remote areas where a smartphone with Facetime/Video Chat is required to share live data and findings, all while calculating collected data on the go. You need one. Carrying a computer through remote wood trails and sharing live videos simultaneously does not work. Heck, I even need my phone to get through certain restricted areas. It opens gates.

It's a requirement. If you don't have one, they provide you with one. You can't do the job without one. At last, not at the level of efficiency they expect. You want the job? You need a smartphone.
I call BS on everything you say, since I too work in the technology field with lots of engineers. Smart phones are strictly prohibited because they are easily hacked into, and this is a fact!

Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I'd love to but I couldn't because I need it for work, plus I'm hopelessly addicted and fear for my future.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I call BS on everything you say, since I too work in the technology field with lots of engineers. Smart phones are strictly prohibited because they are easily hacked into, and this is a fact!
LOL... You call BS on my job? Okay.

You asked, and I described why it's needed. How is it "BS?"

There is no way anyone here is "prohibited" from using smartphones. As a matter-of-fact, large companies such as Duke Energy and NASA provide their engineers with iPhones. They are REQUIRED to have smartphones. That's a FACT. But go on and spew out how it's "BS." "Card Keys" to get through gates are a thing of the past, for instance. You also need them to generate a key code to log into your computer in a lot of cases. (Security... To avoid getting the computer hacked into.)

Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I can't imagine ANY company not allowing their employees to use a smart phone in the year 2018, let alone a tech company. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events