Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Read "Dreamland" and weep.
DREAMLAND - The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic

I can't think of a way to fight this epidemic.
That looks very interesting, however I disagree with them about the pharma companies...

I realize and admit the pharma companies pushed oxycontin and other opioids aggressively, and got a lot of people hooked on them, but since 2012, its very hard to obtain opioid prescription drugs, my family doctor has a big sign in the lobby that under NO circumstances will ANY opioids be prescribed.

The pharma companies took a HUGE hit when Govt cracked down on opioids, I would imagine they lost billions, considering how popular oxy and other drugs were!

This would be like Budweiser having no problem with alcohol prohibition being brought back! LOL Of course they would try to fight and challenge any laws that RESTRICTED ACCESS TO THEIR PRODUCTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
That’s interesting. I always thought heroin just made you very sleepy.
People only take 'drugs' for two reasons: because they make you feel really good, and because they're addicted.

The first is, or at least was the dirty little secret of things like DARE and most school anti-drug programs: they never admitted there was a positive aspect to drugs, especially for first time users. They just chanted DRUGS BAD DRUGS BAD... and then the first time a kid tried something and found the wonderful rush, they discarded all the negatives they'd been told as authoritarian BS. I made it a point to tell all my kids that narrative: that any of this stuff from alcohol to heroin will make you feel really, really, really good... but all the negativity follows right behind and the price isn't worth it.

Which is why tobacco/nicotine has always puzzled me. There isn't a single pleasant thing about it, especially for first-time smokers. You have to choke and gag and gasp your way through the first few packs, learning to suppress the cough and gag reflexes to look as cool as your friends, and learn to ignore the truly nasty taste. Nicotine is far too mild a pharma to offset any of this - the caffeine in a Coke is many times more jolting and noticeable.

But then, quite quickly, they're hooked (I believe nicotine is one of the fastest addictives around) - and it becomes all about "the taste" and the wonderful pleasure... of knocking down the addiction reaction.

And now we can skip all the sh*t with nasty smoke taste and coughing with a whole rainbow of pleasant flavors. Ain't progress grand.

So if there wasn't teen peer pressure, and it remained fairly nasty tasting... gosh, Big T would be all but out of business in a half-generation or so, wouldn't they? O my... think of the jooooooobbbbs!

Old 12-27-2018, 12:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That looks very interesting, however I disagree with them about the pharma companies...

I realize and admit the pharma companies pushed oxycontin and other opioids aggressively, and got a lot of people hooked on them, but since 2012, its very hard to obtain opioid prescription drugs, my family doctor has a big sign in the lobby that under NO circumstances will ANY opioids be prescribed.

The pharma companies took a HUGE hit when Govt cracked down on opioids, I would imagine they lost billions, considering how popular oxy and other drugs were!

This would be like Budweiser having no problem with alcohol prohibition being brought back! LOL Of course they would try to fight and challenge any laws that RESTRICTED ACCESS TO THEIR PRODUCTS.
Well the book is not just about pharma companies - it's also about Mexican cartels and the new ways they are moving heroin into this country.

By the way, I am not doubting your story at all, but my story is that here in NE Texas, a person can get opiates prescribed easily. I have a pretty huge stash of them in my safe because I've recently been prescribed opiates for several conditions. I hardly took any of them. But if my brother could get to them, he'd steal them from me and there is no doubt about it - he's done it before (not to me - he stole our GRANDMOTHER'S PAIN MEDICATION WHEN SHE HAD BONE CANCER).

Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
I haven't been in a GP or FM office in years that didn't have such a sign.

However, when you get up one level to things like ortho offices, oxy is about as hard to get as a flu shot. It's just no longer given out by every PA for complaints of backache.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

However, when you get up one level to things like ortho offices, oxy is about as hard to get as a flu shot. It's just no longer given out by every PA for complaints of backache.
Right, they have restricted access to these drugs, gone are the days when you could go to the ER complaining of back pain and get a months supply of Percocet or vicodin..

Of course, this translates into MUCH less opioid pills being sold/produced.

I believe the real culprits are the drug cartels and the DEA, they collude and work together, so they can both benefit, gain and profit. When you think about it, they both need each other and must rely on each other for both groups to thrive, WITHOUT the DEAs laws and enforcement, the drug cartels would have no market to profit from, WITHOUT the drug cartels and drugs they supply, the DEA would be out of work, no longer needed, no justification for their budget.

I have some coworkers that think the drug war is a great thing, they think its great that local police go after 'pill mills' and when they bust people selling opioid prescription drugs, I always tell them though, that they share this opinion with the drug cartels, without the war on drugs, the cartels would not have such a profitable market.

I would honestly go as far to say the DEA are equal to the 9-11 terrorists, actually worse, when you consider how many lives drugs have taken or destroyed, it is essentially terrorism.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:23 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Right, they have restricted access to these drugs, gone are the days when you could go to the ER complaining of back pain and get a months supply of Percocet or vicodin..

Of course, this translates into MUCH less opioid pills being sold/produced.

I believe the real culprits are the drug cartels and the DEA, they collude and work together, so they can both benefit, gain and profit. When you think about it, they both need each other and must rely on each other for both groups to thrive, WITHOUT the DEAs laws and enforcement, the drug cartels would have no market to profit from, WITHOUT the drug cartels and drugs they supply, the DEA would be out of work, no longer needed, no justification for their budget.

I have some coworkers that think the drug war is a great thing, they think its great that local police go after 'pill mills' and when they bust people selling opioid prescription drugs, I always tell them though, that they share this opinion with the drug cartels, without the war on drugs, the cartels would not have such a profitable market.

I would honestly go as far to say the DEA are equal to the 9-11 terrorists, actually worse, when you consider how many lives drugs have taken or destroyed, it is essentially terrorism.
DEA has responsibility for enforcing prescription drug laws, and also determines how much of each drug can be produced per year. DEA isn't just about fighting illegal drugs.

You need to get over your dislike of DEA, because the tasks they perform are mandated by law, and would be done by some agency if DEA wasn't around. DEA is not a bunch of terrorists, everythingthey do is based on laws passed by Congress.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
people do what they do.
some do drugs.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 PM

323 posts, read 218,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Drugs and addiction generate revenue.

I'd never do heroin, but I do wonder what that high is like. It's crazy to think it was once used to try and help with the morphine addiction.
Its an amazing feeling. Very comforting. But what you have to do to get it is often forgotten once you get your hands on it.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:22 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:

And the interesting thing is that even though they’ve been restricted and hard to get for a few years now, I haven’t read anything that indicates the addiction rate is declining.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:26 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

That is not true at all. Even three years ago before my back surgery, my ortho did not prescribe me anything he sent me to pain management. Ortho’s and Neuro’s will still send people to pain management they do not prescribe their own in general. Even then three years ago, I had to wait weeks before I could get prescribed anything even by pain management, and I was literally crawling to the bathroom. It’s just not true that it’s easy if you go one step up from a GP, its not true in the slightest.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-28-2018 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events