Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
The solution is not to strip search rape every woman who enters jail. I say rape cause you know where they will look. Its Barbarism.

Its America you get arrested over the most trivial ****, usually its driving wile poor. Now they are going to strip search rape 100,000s of people a year so 3 or 4 people don't OD ?

That is crazy. This country is psycho.
They do strip search every woman (& man) that goes to jail. Previously; they made women bend over & cough. Didn’t work too well. Knew of a girl who managed to get 5 cigarettes & about $300 worth of Meth into the county jail here.

She was a very popular inmate.

Now? Our county was the first in Colorado to use full body scans on inmates:

https://gazette.com/news/scanner-can...55e5ae513.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 08:56 PM

190 posts, read 128,979 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I can safely say your thoughts and perspectives are quite unique. It would be "psycho" to not strip search incoming inmates. Strip searches prevent not only drugs but weapons into jails and prisons that may hurt guards or other inmates (yes you would be shocked at what they try to smuggle in through body orifices)....so obviously that ain't gonna happen.
Why do you insist on saying inmates instead of people ?

Makes it much easier doesn't it.

Dehumanization is one of eight forms of “moral disengagement” described by the psychologist Albert Bandura. Humans are capable of terrible crimes, and civilization has developed ways to inhibit aggression. However, we have not eliminated violence, in part because of techniques for creating (false) excuses and justifications for immoral behavior.

Dehumanizing is a method of moral disengagement in which the actor convinces himself that the person receiving the behaviour is less than human, and thus does not deserve the same treatment as others should receive.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 PM

190 posts, read 128,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They do strip search every woman (& man) that goes to jail. Previously; they made women bend over & cough. Didn’t work too well. Knew of a girl who managed to get 5 cigarettes & about $300 worth of Meth into the county jail here.

She was a very popular inmate.

Now? Our county was the first in Colorado to use full body scans on inmates:

https://gazette.com/news/scanner-can...55e5ae513.html

You just swallow it and poop it out later, people come in with no commissary and leave 30 days later with $10,000 but who cares if people get some cigarettes or meth every once in a wile. I thought the justification for the barbaric act of putting people in cages is that they are a danger to the rest of society . What the hell difference does it make if they manage to get high in those mausoleums for the living as long as they are safely separated from us ?

No matter how much drug war epic failure that made everything worse they keep doing the same thing.

Crazy !

Old 12-28-2018, 11:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
You just swallow it and poop it out later, people come in with no commissary and leave 30 days later with $10,000 but who cares if people get some cigarettes or meth every once in a wile. I thought the justification for the barbaric act of putting people in cages is that they are a danger to the rest of society . What the hell difference does it make if they manage to get high in those mausoleums for the living as long as they are safely separated from us ?

No matter how much drug war epic failure that made everything worse they keep doing the same thing.

Crazy !
Yes, Id never thought about that, why would they even care if inmates smuggled in or or used drugs in the jail? Safety wise, jail is about the best place for them to use drugs like that, no danger to anyone else or themselves.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:

Crazy !
True that.

The official response would include that if they allowed those items into the cells; that a whole economic crime racket would develop & that inmates would be subject to small-scale gang warfare, central to those items.

They have a point ... but that point; is somewhat moot: An underground Plutocracy based on Ramen noodles & Nutty Buddy bars is already long-established. And the moment an item becomes Contraband; it’s value has just increased exponentially. They essentially tip the scales of supply & demand past the point of no return.

Obviously; the “inmate economy” ship has sailed; with one-fourth of one cigarette costing about $10.00 (in commissary).

Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Some people will always use and abuse drugs and alcohol. Read up on the days of Prohibition. We can see how well that worked to keep alcohol out of the hands of those who wanted it, right?

Legalize it. Legalize it all. If it's perfectly legal to murder a baby because "it's my body to do with what I want", then let's apply the same logic to those who introduce drugs into their bodies. You want it, you got it! Just leave the rest of us alone.

It isn't sober America's problem to solve with more laws and tax dollars. It's only our job to protect ourselves from those with the intent to hurt us or steal from us.

That we support a government that prevents medical doctors from prescribing a wonderful and effective pain-relieving medicine for the rest of us is absolutely insane. (Just like believing that gun control will end crime.)

Don't blame the drug manufacturers.
Don't blame the drug.
Don't blame mommy and daddy.
Don't blame the doctors.

Blame the addict who knows what drugs do to people long before he takes them, yet chooses to take them anyway.

Blame the addict who already has access to treatment programs and facilities all over America, yet fails to utilize them.

Blame those who have successfully convinced America that the fault is ours for not doing more for the "poor drug addicts".

Blame a government that continues its worthless "War on Drugs" while permitting drugs to flood across our borders.

Legalize drugs. The crime should not be in ingesting or injecting drugs. The crime is when you become harmful to others (driving, stealing, beating, impairment at the workplace, etc). For THAT you should be locked up.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:

Why do you insist on saying inmates instead of people ?

Makes it much easier doesn't it.

Dehumanization is one of eight forms of “moral disengagement” described by the psychologist Albert Bandura. Humans are capable of terrible crimes, and civilization has developed ways to inhibit aggression. However, we have not eliminated violence, in part because of techniques for creating (false) excuses and justifications for immoral behavior.

Dehumanizing is a method of moral disengagement in which the actor convinces himself that the person receiving the behaviour is less than human, and thus does not deserve the same treatment as others should receive.
Nice picture of the police officer, she's kind of hot. Too bad it has nothing to do with this topic, we are talking about strip searches and drugs in jail right?
Anyways calling a person an inmate when they are is no more dehumanizing than calling the person in the picture a police offer, because that's what they are. It's a silly side topic.

Getting back to strip searches - they need not be that evasive as, as one poster said, they are going to xray machines now. But you seem to ignore what I said, it's not only for drugs but for weapons and other contraband. Don't you think inmates deserve to be safe from their fellow inmates?
Drugs as well, they don't just get handed out, they get sold in jail, it becomes part of the economy among criminal gangs in prison. It becomes it's own rare commodity that brings violence and extortion with it.

So you seem to be advocating prisoner rights but you are doing it in the wrong direction. You are actually harming their well being by the things you are proposing.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:25 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You may be right; I wasn't really differentiating that closely between, say, ca. 1900 and 1920. By the time of Prohibition the temperance movement had already made significant inroads.

My best source is Daniel Okrent's Last Call, which is... not immediately at hand. I will stand behind the general assertion that per-capita alcohol consumption reached peaks ca. 1870-1900 and has never returned to those levels after the Experiment. Let me see what I can find.
I would like a link to show why the credit for the decrease was due to the temperance movement if you have one.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
First Step Act, signed into law by President Trump on December 12th:
  1. The bill would make retroactive the reforms enacted by the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, which reduced the disparity between crack and powder cocaine sentences at the federal level. This could affect nearly 2,600 federal inmates, according to the Marshall Project.
  2. The bill would take several steps to ease mandatory minimum sentences under federal law. It would expand the “safety valve” that judges can use to avoid handing down mandatory minimum sentences. It would ease a “three strikes” rule so people with three or more convictions, including for drug offenses, automatically get 25 years instead of life, among other changes. It would restrict the current practice of stacking gun charges against drug offenders to add possibly decades to prison sentences. All of these changes would lead to shorter prison sentences in the future.
  3. The bill would increase “good time credits” that inmates can earn. Inmates who avoid a disciplinary record can currently get credits of up to 47 days per year incarcerated. The bill increases the cap to 54, allowing well-behaved inmates to cut their prison sentence by an additional week for each year they’re incarcerated. The change applies retroactively, which could allow some prisoners — as many as 4,000 — to qualify for release the day that the bill goes into effect.
  4. The bill would allow inmates to get “earned time credits” by participating in more vocational and rehabilitative programs. Those credits would allow them to be released early to halfway houses or home confinement. Not only could this mitigate prison overcrowding, but the hope is that the education programs will reduce the likelihood that an inmate will commit another crime once released and, as a result, reduce both crime and incarceration in the long term. (There’s research showing that education programs do reduce recidivism.)
...And it would make other changes aimed at improving conditions in prisons, including banning the shackling of women during childbirth and requiring that inmates are placed closer to their families.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...-bill-congress
Yes, I give Trump (and Jared) credit for the prison reform bill, I think it’s awesome. It is not a reform of Federal drug laws in any way though. It’s a sentencing reform to correct a racial bias. You’ll still get arrested for having cocaine, you just won’t get sentenced differently for crack vs powder.

If they were so inclined to reform drug laws I think starting with lifting the Federal laws against marijuana would be an easy start, but I have not heard about any change of position on this. Businesses in legal states can’t even use banks, and scientists can’t do research without huge expense and hurdles due to the Schedule one classification.

Republicans I always thought were for states rights over big government, but in this area they have fallen far short.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-29-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Washington View Post
Exactly right, man! Do all the drugs you want, but don't make it my problem by stealing from me of harming me.
... And I'm sympathetic to the addicts, I lost my favorite cousin to a heroin/coke overdose and my younger brother is a junkie who's going to die. There's a 91% recidivism rate amongst people who sought 'treatment,' so rehab doesn't really work unless the 'patient' wants it to. I know people who cleaned up and they all say the same thing - it's up to the addict to want to stop.
Yup. I worked with drug addicts in rehab for many, many years. The desire for help must come from within. Anything less is a waste of time, effort, resources and money. One thing a drug addict is good at is crying the blues. They know how to manipulate the system and everyone around them... including the do-gooders.

Legalize now!

A drug dealer's worst nightmare is the legalization of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events