Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 07:15 PM

190 posts, read 128,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Current medical opinion is that drug addiction is a disease. But it occurs AFTER one becomes an addict: your brain is chemically altered so that you need the drug in spite of the harm it does to you. I understand that. However, that first decision to take drugs and to continuously misuse them to the point that you became an addict is all on you.
What about the children the school starts dosing them at 5 6 or 7 years old with Ritalin Vyvanse Adderall ect ? Then at night when they can't sleep cause amphetamines take a wile to clear the give them more pills. "non addictive" downers. Seroquel or that blood pressure pill they are pushing now.

These kids never made the decision to take drugs their whole childhood and never learn to regulate emotion ect without them. Its all they know.

The so called opiate epidemic is mostly the medication generation grown up. They started drugging kids heavy in the 90s the "decade of the brain" and No Child Left Behind (No child Left Undrugged).

That's how meth got big, a whole generation given speed in school has grown up. I did rehab and 12 step most of the young people into drugs started as psych med kids.

Why did I even write "opiate epidemic" most people OD after the drink alcohol and do benzos with the opiates. They multiply each others effects. Fake news won't tell the public those statistics.

If John Belushi died today the headline would be OPIATE DEATH !!! They would never mention the drug mixing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And as far as mental illness goes I don't think any good psychiatrist should even diagnose until a patient has at least six month sober. Some people's crazy gets a lot better after they aren't drinking.
What they do in practice is shuffle everyone to the doctor before detox is even over long before post acute withdrawals and immediately start with the anti depressants and make you flat and tired mood pills.

Its a great plan right ? With Alcohol at least 80% of people are going to relapse on drinking but now instead of just drinking they are drinking with psychiatry pills and their behavior gets even more erratic so next time in treatment MORE psychiatry pills.

To be honest rehabs have calmed down a little with the SSRIs and labelling EVERYONE bipolar but its still the same crap go in with an alcohol problem come out labelled and a lifetime consumer of psychiatric drugs. I wouldn't bash it if it worked but it doesn't.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you. I get a newsletter from an organization called the Law Enforcement Action Partnership (formerly LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) that is a PAC made up of former law enforcement professionals (many cops who are veterans of the drug war), prosecutors and judges who firmly believe the War on Drugs should be ended. They believe drug use and drug addiction should be the domain of health care, not the justice system. Here are their core beliefs: https://lawenforcementactionpartners...s/drug-policy/

Hope it grows.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A story: A man I know had eight DWIs. He complained to me that it was the Law Enforcement's fault. Why? Because they knew which bar he drank at and hid laying in wait for him to leave. No fair!

This is the way an addict thinks. His drug/alcohol use is never the problem. The problem is society, the law, his family, the church, his doctor and on and on.

Active addiction guarantees life problems which are avoidable when you are sober.

Tired of finding yourself in jail? Try abstinence. This will work for the larger percentage of addicts who aren't mentally ill or sociopaths.
A good deal of those problems...are due to the specific laws against them.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
One comment - why do you divert the topic so often? You change from prison reform, to police abuse, to drug addiction. Do you have some attention span issues? My suggestion: Keep to one issue, create a new thread for another issue.

Now in regards to drug abuse. Can you tell us your history so this confusing thread has some context? You have some issues going in several directions. It seems perhaps you were in jail and are a drug addict. Now the thing is, many addicts end up in jail not because of drug addiction, not because of possession, but because the broke the law to feed there drug addiction. If it's just for possession, I can sympathize. If it's because you broke the law, particularly if you hurt someone, I have little sympathy. Now, drug addiction, or alcohol abuse, cannot be a free pass to break the law - driving DUI for instance. Breaking the law is not a social anxiety issue, it's because one is a criminal.

Current medical opinion is that drug addiction is a disease. But it occurs AFTER one becomes an addict: your brain is chemically altered so that you need the drug in spite of the harm it does to you. I understand that. However, that first decision to take drugs and to continuously misuse them to the point that you became an addict is all on you. You can blame society, but millions grow up deprived or in bad households and do not become addicts. Now, if one becomes an addict, one must seek treatment. No that treatment does not include a pity party and drugs provided to you at the taxpayers expense so the you can continue to be an addict. The point is this: you can continue to blame society, police, your jail sentence, etc for your drug addiction OR you can get help and improve your life. There are many treatment programs out there. There are local, state, and federal programs, free programs available. If you have insurance, they provide coverage for programs. Prison has treatment programs (and I am sorry, there treatment program does not include letting you bring in drugs to continue your addiction).

No, these programs are not Portugal or Spain where all drugs are decriminalized. You mentioned that at the beginning. Portugal seems to be a success, but even that county is cutting back on services to it's addicts because it's unsustainable. Spain still has problems, serious problems. Nevertheless what works n one country may not work in another, particularly the US with it's pharmaceutical opiates like Fentanyl widespread (and let's see what happens when that hits Europe).

You mentioned it as some sort of Eugenics program. That's just crazy. The origination of the increase in pharmaceutical opiates in North American is complex and a discussion topic of it's own (generally you can blame the medical industry for over-reliance on chemicals for pain relief) , but don't use some crazy conspiracy theory.

But again - the bottom line here - as much as we can diagnose your drug addiction as a deseise, the responsibility for getting help for your addiction is your alone. We won't support your addiction, we will however help you treat it. We give you the tools (treatment centers) - next step is yours.
Id like to ask you why you believe the medical industry/pharma industry is guilty of making the opioid crisis as bad as it is today?

If you recall the Govt cracked down VERY HARD on pharma companies, doctors, patients, etc back in 2012. And today its almost impossible to get a regular doctor to write a script for opioids, ERs stopped giving them out too.

Why would the pharma industry accept Govt coming in and placing tough restrictions on some of its best selling drugs at the time?!! When your product is selling like hotcakes and flying off the shelves, its generally not a good thing when Govt crashes the party and throws a wrench into it!

I cannot imagine how many billions the pharma industry has lost due to so much less opioids being given out, since 2012.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
70,000+ fatal overdoses a year. Its a eugenics program. To get rid of "undesirables."

Don't even think for a minute these people made mistakes and every single thing they have done so far "inadvertently" made the problem worse. They solved their PR problem too. Support for the drug war and mass incarceration was at an all time low and this opiate thing gave it a major boost.

Why would the cartels allow or bring in fentanyl to kill their own customers and have the public support funding for police action against them ? You don't make billions selling drugs by being stupid.

The pharma companies love it too. All the expensive alternatives to opiates they get to sell now.
We need to get some investigative journalists to start digging into the DEA, get some documented proof of the collusion with drug cartels and release it the public.

I have a feeling there was probably alot of 'back and forth' between the two right before and the weeks leading up to the crackdown on prescription opioids, as soon as those laws took effect, there was SO much heroin around, it was totally NUTS, I knew dealers who were having much more dope pushed on them than they even wanted, they were assured they could get rid of it, just wait they were told, and sure, enough, once addicts couldnt get perc 30s and Oxycontins, they had cash to buy heroin all the sudden...its likely this happened in every city and state too...

So there was a LOT of heroin coming in right around that time and reaching its destination, there is just no way the DEA COULD NOT be involved in that, that is a massive logistical nightmare and we are supposed to believe it all happens totally under the radar and by luck alone? LOL

Old 12-31-2018, 07:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Id like to ask you why you believe the medical industry/pharma industry is guilty of making the opioid crisis as bad as it is today?

If you recall the Govt cracked down VERY HARD on pharma companies, doctors, patients, etc back in 2012. And today its almost impossible to get a regular doctor to write a script for opioids, ERs stopped giving them out too.

Why would the pharma industry accept Govt coming in and placing tough restrictions on some of its best selling drugs at the time?!! When your product is selling like hotcakes and flying off the shelves, its generally not a good thing when Govt crashes the party and throws a wrench into it!

I cannot imagine how many billions the pharma industry has lost due to so much less opioids being given out, since 2012.
Yes the government cracked down very hard which only caused addicts to pharmaceuticals to move to street drugs (heroin and very dangerous street fentanyl). I don't understand you second question "Why would the pharma industry accept Govt coming in and placing tough restriction". Crazy conspiracy theories and exaggerations of the power of the pharma industry aside, they don't tell the government what to do, the government tells them what to do.

None of this was really the point of my thread, the origination of the Opiod Crises deserves it's own thread. On the contrary I was trying to figure out what was in the OPs head because he seems to be on some cycle of "nothing works so I will continue to be an addict, give me drugs and leave me alone".
An addict I can sympathize with. An addict that has given up and now looking for pity, or blaming his lack of seeking help and recovery on some wacky conspiracy theories, not so much.
Nothing worse than an entitled junkie.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yes the government cracked down very hard which only caused addicts to pharmaceuticals to move to street drugs (heroin and very dangerous street fentanyl). I don't understand you second question "Why would the pharma industry accept Govt coming in and placing tough restriction". Crazy conspiracy theories and exaggerations of the power of the pharma industry aside, they don't tell the government what to do, the government tells them what to do.

None of this was really the point of my thread, the origination of the Opiod Crises deserves it's own thread. On the contrary I was trying to figure out what was in the OPs head because he seems to be on some cycle of "nothing works so I will continue to be an addict, give me drugs and leave me alone".
An addict I can sympathize with. An addict that has given up and now looking for pity, or blaming his lack of seeking help and recovery on some wacky conspiracy theories, not so much.
Nothing worse than an entitled junkie.
Lots of people believe the pharma industry to be extremely powerful, with all their lobbying dollars.

What I was trying to say, if they were THAT powerful and influential...it would still be very easy to go out and get prescription painkillers from doctors and hospitals.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:53 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
That’s interesting. I always thought heroin just made you very sleepy. I guess that’s the way it’s portrayed in movies, etc. People stealing to support the habit, then shooting up and passing out.

I grew up in a middle/upper middle-class neighborhood. There was a young couple down the street who were recovering heroin addicts. They had two little boys I babysat when I was around 13. What I remember fondly is how my neighborhood never ostracized that family. They were included in all social activities, parties, etc. We all wanted them to succeed.
As far as I know they made it.
No, there is a phase called "nodding", wherein the person appears to be passed out. I saw one addict on the street where I used to work who nodded right in the middle of making his cardboard begging sign. The last letter ended in a black marker trail going to the bottom of the cardboard, and there he was, head hanging, the marker still in his hand.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, there is a phase called "nodding", wherein the person appears to be passed out. I saw one addict on the street where I used to work who nodded right in the middle of making his cardboard begging sign. The last letter ended in a black marker trail going to the bottom of the cardboard, and there he was, head hanging, the marker still in his hand.
That is ultimately how people die from opioids...they basically stop breathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events