Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,302,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don’t mind these forums as I have nice discussions with most the folks here. I dislike the other platforms (that I’m not allowed to name here). Those other platforms aren’t much about having discussion. This site is not like those others at all.
OK, I see what you mean. I just thought it strange to see a claim of disliking social media coming from someone with that many posts on this one site.

Bip a little, bop a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,459,305 times
If the mother knows how her son is @ movie theatres, don't bring him. I have no problem with special needs children (we have one in the family) but it is very rude and inconsiderate to inconvenience many other people who paid to be there.

People go to the movies b/c they want dark, quiet and a big screen to watch their movies … and they deserve to get what they pay for.

Sucks it happened to this mother but the theatre very fairly compensated her.

Hope it is a lesson for next time.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,470,267 times
It was more than a few giggles of multiple people noticed it and complained at a kids movie. It’s sounds like a case similar to parents who refuse to take their crying child out of a restaurant. Or who let their kids run around a restaurant rather than making them sit in a chair. They don’t understand how their kids affect others.

I once went out with a friend who let her kids walk around our table the whole time we were there. Her kids made a huge mess. She said something along the lines of not caring because that’s what the servers get paid for. We never ate out together again, it was humiliating.

I love the idea of special movie days for kids who struggle with various disabilities.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,261,342 times
Our local movie theaters have special screenings for the children with such disabilities who might get a sensory overload otherwise.

Regardless of the reason, in general it’s not fair to expect everyone else to accommodate you or your child at all times. People paid money to watch the movie uninterrupted. If a kid is disruptive - apologize and take him/her out ASAP. Once my kid had a tantrum at a bouncy place. I just took him home, didn’t even ask for a refund. Stuff happens, things don’t always work out.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,514,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I have an autistic son and if I tried to take him to the movies I would either have to hold him down the entire time(which would involve a lot of screaming on his part) or deal with him walking around the theater asking everyone what their favorite number is and if they have any brothers or sisters. So I don't take him to the movies, I watch them at home with him. If you have a child who cannot or will not behave in an manner that is appropriate for a certain venue, you do not take that child there. It's common sense.

Some movie theaters have special days set aside for autistic children. I imagine any child with non violent behavioral issues would we welcome on those days. That reminds me I should take my son to one of these events some time.
Tell your son hello from the San Francisco Bay Area from SFBayBoomer. My favorite number is in my "rep" to you and your son.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,969,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
With surround sound, dvds and widescreen TVs, why do we need movie theaters?
Because not everybody has surround sound, dvds, and widescreen TVs, do you suppose?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM

29,803 posts, read 34,621,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Because not everybody has surround sound, dvds, and widescreen TVs, do you suppose?
And they probably thought of it as a treat to go to a movie, rather than watching TV at home like they probably always do.

I was once at a movie where a disabled person was vocalizing randomly. It was annoying at first, but once I realized what was happening, I let it go. It was a matinee during the week, and the theater wasn't crowded, which I assume his caregiver chose on purpose to be less disruptive.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,969,668 times
If there were more drive-ins, this would be less of an issue...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 AM

51,378 posts, read 37,057,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
People have been asked to leave theaters because of crying infants also. Movie theaters are supposed to be quiet. I don't go to them any longer, and noise is one of the reasons. Talking, phones, texting, phone screens and kids.

So the theaters have a choice--drive away adults who pay to see the movies, or allow noise and distractions that pretty much ruin the theater experience. So I choose to watch films at home a couple of months after they come out, rather than deal with theaters.

The OP thinks movie-goers who pay $15 per ticket to go the movies, should be more considerate of people who bring their babies and/or children who cannot remain quiet. Do you really believe one person should be allowed to disturb all of the others? I think the movie-goers who pay to see a film are not the ones being inconsiderate.
It was Dumbo. When I go to kids matinees with our family, all the kids are laughing loudly and carrying on. Kids laugh out loud at kids movies, they yell “Eeewwww” and “yay” when appropriate. Some will cry when their popcorn spills or yell when their older brother digs his hand in someone else’s. That’s the nature of kids, even well-behaved ones. I’ve never been to a kids movie where kids sat ramrod straight and quiet. If they were in an adult movie I’d agree with you, but a Disney movie? C’mon.

I guarantee you there were crying kids sitting in theaters watching Bambi in 1942, and kids that screamed when the scarecrow caught on fire in 1936 watching Wizard of Oz.

To me this is like complaining a child was too loud at Chuck E Cheese, ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,470,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was Dumbo. When I go to kids matinees with our family, all the kids are laughing loudly and carrying on. Kids laugh out loud at kids movies, they yell “Eeewwww” and “yay” when appropriate. Some will cry when their popcorn spills or yell when their older brother digs his hand in someone else’s. That’s the nature of kids, even well-behaved ones. I’ve never been to a kids movie where kids sat ramrod straight and quiet. If they were in an adult movie I’d agree with you, but a Disney movie? C’mon.

I guarantee you there were crying kids sitting in theaters watching Bambi in 1942, and kids that screamed when the scarecrow caught on fire in 1936 watching Wizard of Oz.

To me this is like complaining a child was too loud at Chuck E Cheese, ridiculous.
I agree with all of this- which makes me think it must have been more than just a few laughs. I just cannot see multiple people complaining at a kids movie over a few laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events