Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 AM

51,378 posts, read 37,068,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The screen would have been in front of him, not up on the ceiling.

If the child's mobility issues prevent him from being able to watch a movie unless seated in a specific seat, it sounds like the movie would be more enjoyable for the kid in the comfort of his own home.
A lot of people have trouble seeing from the first row. You have to crane your neck. He could see perfectly fine anywhere else in the theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What do you think about the fact that apparently, she did nothing at all to quiet him, even though apparently quieting him would have worked?

(I am inferring this from the fact that she was very upset at not having been warned she was about to be asked to leave,
as if she would have quieted him, had she just any idea at all that customers were becoming very annoyed).

I'm picturing, not without empathy, a mother of a child with a serious disability just enjoying to the full hilt that her 3 year old was getting such pleasure from the movie. And we all get that.

Who else is in that crowded theater? Grandma, with dementia, who very much wanted to see this movie with the family but can't comprehend the sounds of the movie over a baby crying loudly the whole time? A mother, going through a terrible divorce, who just wants some sweet time with her children to take their minds off the pain they're in?

In a crowded theater, with a Disney movie, there are other stories that will be in the audience. It isn't as if this one child is disabled, everyone else in the crowded theater's life is a cake walk.
What on earth do you mean quiet him? Tell a child they aren’t allowed to giggle at the funny scenes? He wasn’t yelling, he was laughing at appropriate scenes like any kid. It wasn’t the whole time, and he wasn’t crying.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 15 days ago)

36,037 posts, read 18,311,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What on earth do you mean quiet him? Tell a child they aren’t allowed to giggle at the funny scenes? He wasn’t yelling, he was laughing at appropriate scenes like any kid. It wasn’t the whole time, and he wasn’t crying.
His mother said, he sounds like a baby crying.

I'm not sure what your history is, ocnj, but I think you're maybe not looking at this as clearly as most are.

This isn't a child who made a few yelps out when the others were also laughing or giggling.

And anyone who thinks that moviegoers would report a child in a wheelchair who was very minimally disruptive with an unusual giggling sound when others were giggling in the usual way, I think you're jaded and can't see this story.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 AM

37,809 posts, read 46,342,911 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what your history is, ocnj, but I think you're maybe not looking at this as clearly as most are.

This isn't a child who made a few yelps out when the others were also laughing or giggling.

And anyone who thinks that moviegoers would report a child in a wheelchair who was very minimally disruptive with an unusual giggling sound when others were giggling in the usual way, I think you're jaded and can't see this story.
Exactly.

MUCH more to this story than what the mom is saying.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
What do you think about the fact that apparently, she did nothing at all to quiet him, even though apparently quieting him would have worked?

(I am inferring this from the fact that she was very upset at not having been warned she was about to be asked to leave,
as if she would have quieted him, had she just any idea at all that customers were becoming very annoyed).

I'm picturing, not without empathy, a mother of a child with a serious disability just enjoying to the full hilt that her 3 year old was getting such pleasure from the movie. And we all get that.

Who else is in that crowded theater? Grandma, with dementia, who very much wanted to see this movie with the family but can't comprehend the sounds of the movie over a baby crying loudly the whole time? A mother, going through a terrible divorce, who just wants some sweet time with her children to take their minds off the pain they're in?

In a crowded theater, with a Disney movie, there are other stories that will be in the audience. It isn't as if this one child is disabled, everyone else in the crowded theater's life is a cake walk.
Quote:

She said his laugh sounds like a crying baby. Not his fault, not something he should be segregated from society for. And again she has done outings with him before with no one complaining. I don’t have personal history but I’m an OT and work with people with disabilities.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 15 days ago)

36,037 posts, read 18,311,343 times
Quote:
She said his laugh sounds like a crying baby. Not his fault, not something he should be segregated from society for. And again she has done outings with him before with no one complaining. I don’t have personal history but I’m an OT and work with people with disabilities.
I've got a bit of a personal history, and am very much for inclusion.

I've taken adults with cognitive impairment out on recreational outings in groups; and often they do something kind of inappropriate or yelp out. Once people look and see who's doing that, they are very solicitous, or at the very least, they get out of the way and go on about their business.

In the very rare case where someone is rude or cutting, strangers will come to your side and chastise the person who is rejecting or being difficult.

I have two friends with children in wheelchairs, and I can tell you how very empathetic the public is.

If it were true, that this child was giggling in an odd and loud way but at appropriate times, and was mostly silent, others in the theater would have come to her quick defense if she were asked to leave.

But no one did. No one.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,509,844 times
Hmmm. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this child be “segregated from society.” Let’s not exaggerate. There was a time when kids with special needs WERE segregated from society and this is not that (thank goodness).

Also, I don’t see the alternative solution being presented in the lobby as an afterthought. It was probably discussed in the lobby to not disrupt the theater by having a conversation about options on the middle of the movie.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Hmmm. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this child be “segregated from society.” Let’s not exaggerate. There was a time when kids with special needs WERE segregated from society and this is not that (thank goodness).

Also, I don’t see the alternative solution being presented in the lobby as an afterthought. It was probably discussed in the lobby to not disrupt the theater by having a conversation about options on the middle of the movie.
Many people are suggesting a private screening room or stayinhome. That’s being segregated. Mom said manager realized she shouldn’t have kicked them out in lobby and then offered alternatives. When I see a reason that’s based on fact to not believe her, I will.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:24 AM

16,452 posts, read 12,650,465 times
Quote:
When I see a reason that’s based on fact to not believe her, I will.
NONE of this is based on fact. We've only got one side of the story, which is almost always skewed.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,509,844 times
Quote:
Many people are suggesting a private screening room or stayinhome. That’s being segregated. Mom said manager realized she shouldn’t have kicked them out in lobby and then offered alternatives. When I see a reason that’s based on fact to not believe her, I will.

Okey dokey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events