Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 PM

16,183 posts, read 21,337,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is a 3 1/2,year old medically fragile child, feeding tube, wheelchair, etc. they sat high up in the very back of the theater so as to be out of the way of people. It took the Mom two trips to gather all his equipment when they got kicked out. I’m sorry, I think it’s pathetic. This poor mother’s life is consumed by caring for this child. I don’t think people realize how much work it is or how difficult it is to try to live a normal life with a child with such severe medical needs.

There’s nothing to indicate the child was developmentally disabled or had anything wrong with him mentally or had behavioral issues. He probably does not have a fully formed esophagus if he cannot eat, and so sounds come out differently in him. A giggle sounds like a cry. For his six-year-old brother who was dying to see this movie, and who’s needs probably always have to be put aside for his brothers, I feel especially sorry for him. The little one did not really understand what was going on when they were being kicked out, but the six-year-old did and kept asking over and over why do we have to leave why do we have to leave? I feel like the answer is because people are mean and selfish. I find it it just a sad sad situation that was handled very poorly by both patrons and staff.
From reading your posts I sometimes feel like you think anyone with a child that has any sort of disability gets a free pass. Unfortunately insensitive, clueless jerks come in all walks of like, including parents of special needs children. On one side you have a mom making claims that she and her family were unfairly treated, even after being offered a private showing. On the other side there were apparently many people stating that the child was disruptive. Since I can't think of a good reason for multiple people to lie about such a thing for no discernible reason I tend to think mom is simply looking for a reason to be outraged and get her share of the social media spotlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,103,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You

Can’t handle it? He giggled during a funny part during a kids movie. Twice. The nerve of him to have a laugh that doesn’t sound like other kids laughs. How dare he inconvenience everyone by being disabled and sick. Whatever happened to compassions and “there but for the Grace if God...” Again this is a sad sad statement on our selfish and narcissistic society to me.
Yes, I'm soo selfish for wanting to watch and enjoy the movie that I paid to see.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,551,485 times
Quote:
. Jennifer Daly posted on Facebook after taking her two sons to see Dumbo Friday night at AMC Lake in the Hills in a suburb of Chicago
Friday night,"night" as in when grownups go to see movies. Even if it's Disney. Chances are, if she had gone to a Saturday matinee, her child's giggling would not have even caused a glance mixed with the laughter of all the other noisy kids who go to Saturday matinees for that reason.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM

6,074 posts, read 6,074,147 times
Do the mother & the son practice "self-medication", if you get my drift.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM

51,390 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But this is exactly the problem. In public is in public. Chuck E Cheese shouldn't be any different from a nice restaurant. We confuse the hell out of kids when we let them act like animals in one place but expect them to behave in another. Why not just teach your kid to behave in ALL public places? It would be so much easier and so much less confusing to the kid. Plus you'd have a child you could take anywhere, which certainly isn't the case for most parents and kids today.

Kid's don't have to sit ramrod straight at a movie. But they could be sitting there and watching it instead of running around, kicking the backs of seats, and throwing popcorn. Maybe another solution is to start charging double at kids' movies. Maybe if the parents had to actually pay a serious amount of money to go to one of these movies, they'd make sure their kid wanted to really watch it before they shelled out that sort of money.

A lot of older people want to see "kid" movies, as well as going to places like Disneyland, etc. Captain Marvel, or whatever it was, is one of those movies and there have been a lot of people in the 20 to 35 age range who went to see it. And a lot of them were unable to enjoy it because of disruptive, screaming kids, even at the late showings.

Maybe what the movie theaters should have is simply an adults only showing one day a week or a policy saying no one under 18 after 10pm. I can't count how many times I've gone to a late night movie only to have it ruined by someone's screaming baby or yelling toddler. Just why? And movie tickets ain't cheap these days, either.

Thing is, if you go to a kid's movie and the kids in there are running around and screaming, that's just proof they're not watching it anyway. So why are they even there? And then there are some kids who are trying to watch the movie. I feel sorry for them - they're sitting there behaving and still can't focus on the movie because of someone else's brats. And yes, that's what those other kids are.

If you can't teach your kid to sit quietly in a seat and watch a movie by the time he's 6 or 7 years old, you have a brat and he doesn't belong in a movie theater or a nice restaurant or any other place in public where people are expected to sit quietly and behave. Obviously, a child having autism is different but when an autistic child is out in public and annoying the people around them, the result is the same.

It doesn't matter to me if the child screaming next to me at a nice restaurant is a baby, a toddler or an autistic child (and yes, I realize that child wasn't autistic - I'm making a general statement). What matters to me is that my night out has been ruined because some parent who knew their child wasn't able to sit quietly in public selfishly chose to ignore that fact and forced their kid on the rest of us anyway.

He WAS behaving, he was giggling, but due to his disability his laugh sounds like a crying baby apparently. I disagree completely that this child needs to be treated as an outcast of society because he is disabled. He is part of the world and should be allowed to be out in it. And the rest of us should make him feel welcome in it. We should have enough Grace to do that, IMO.

If it were an adult movie or a nice restaurant I would feel differently, but a Disney movie normally has kids laughing and screaming and being noisy. There are 2 year olds, 3 year olds, 5 year olds. A Disney movie is not the movie to go to if you expect people to be quiet. I've been to plenty. And I am not talking about misbehaving, they aren't, they are just being kids. As was this poor child and his mom who just wants him to give him as normal a life as possible.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,511,057 times
It must be hard for a parent to be in that situation, and I feel for the mother. However she should have accepted the offer to move to another screening room for a private showing. That way the boys could have continued watching the movie.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM

33,051 posts, read 36,688,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Friday night,"night" as in when grownups go to see movies. Even if it's Disney. Chances are, if she had gone to a Saturday matinee, her child's giggling would not have even caused a glance mixed with the laughter of all the other noisy kids who go to Saturday matinees for that reason.
That didn't seem the best choice. I used to try to take my son to movies at unpopular times because he became overexcited when there were a lot of people around.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,069,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I have an autistic son and if I tried to take him to the movies I would either have to hold him down the entire time(which would involve a lot of screaming on his part) or deal with him walking around the theater asking everyone what their favorite number is and if they have any brothers or sisters. So I don't take him to the movies, I watch them at home with him. If you have a child who cannot or will not behave in an manner that is appropriate for a certain venue, you do not take that child there. It's common sense.

Some movie theaters have special days set aside for autistic children. I imagine any child with non violent behavioral issues would we welcome on those days. That reminds me I should take my son to one of these events some time.
Aww, that's actually very endearing. But yes, not in a movie theater. Thank you for being courteous and having common sense.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 PM

51,390 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It must be hard for a parent to be in that situation, and I feel for the mother. However she should have accepted the offer to move to another screening room for a private showing. That way the boys could have continued watching the movie.
I disagree. He should not be made an outcast, have to be segregated and separated from “normal” people like he’s some kind of freak. That’s an atrocious solution to me for a child whose laugh simply sounds different than other kids. He wasn’t doing any of the sort of things mentioned above, he can’t walk, he can’t talk. He can’t eat. He can giggle when he sees something funny, good for him and more power to him. The heck with those who find his moments of joy obnoxious. I’m glad I don’t share that view, however unpopular mine may be.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,719,693 times
When people pay to see a movie at a theatre, weather it's a children's movie, or an adult movie, they have the right to the peaceful enjoyment of the movie.

As a little girl of 6 or 8, I knew not to make noise in a movie theatre. I was also annoyed when other people did. The other children and adults did not want to hear the sounds this child was making.

The boy was not laughing at funny parts of the movie. He was giggling inappropriately throughout the film.

That's just plain annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events