Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many people are suggesting a private screening room or stayinhome. That’s being segregated. Mom said manager realized she shouldn’t have kicked them out in lobby and then offered alternatives. When I see a reason that’s based on fact to not believe her, I will.
If he cannot keep quiet throughout a movie and disrupts people to the point where multiple complain, then he shouldn’t be going to a movie theater. Not taking him there isn’t “segregating” him, it’s just keeping him from a specific place that he should not go to until, if ever, he is able to be quiet, because movie theaters typically require someone to sit and watch quietly, aside from occasional laughter at funny scenes or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 PM

51,036 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If he cannot keep quiet throughout a movie and disrupts people to the point where multiple complain, then he shouldn’t be going to a movie theater. Not taking him there isn’t “segregating” him, it’s just keeping him from a specific place that he should not go to until, if ever, he is able to be quiet, because movie theaters typically require someone to sit and watch quietly, aside from occasional laughter at funny scenes or something.
You’ve never been to a kids movie if you really think little children sit and watch movies quietly. All this child was doing was laughing at funny scenes. His laughter simply sounded like crying. I would wager people complaining actually believed there was a baby crying mistakenly. He will never learn to laugh differently, it’s just how his laugh sounds.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
Quote:
You’ve never been to a kids movie if you really think little children sit and watch movies quietly. All this child was doing was laughing at funny scenes. His laughter simply sounded like crying. I would wager people complaining actually believed there was a baby crying mistakenly. He will never learn to laugh differently, it’s just how his laugh sounds.
If the movie showing was full of little kids and this one stood out it was probably worse than any other little kid noise through movies.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:55 PM

16,432 posts, read 12,575,502 times
Quote:
If you weren't there, you don't know that it's all the child was doing. Don't you think the mother is going to tell the story in a way to maximize sympathy? Do you really think she would have said if the child was loudly wailing through the entire film? I bet the truth is somewhere in the middle of the extremes.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,062,855 times
Quote:
I have been to plenty of kid's movies. In just the past 6 months I've seen Spiderman, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Mary Poppins, Lego Movie 2, How to Train Your Dragon 3, Dumbo, and Missing Link. And yes, most children do sit and watch the movie.

I took my nephew to see his first movie when he was 2.5 years old, and he was able to sit through the whole movie without disrupting anyone else. I would not have taken him if I didn't think he could, but I also took him to an early weekend showing and not a crowded Friday night showing.

Another nephew I took to see a movie for the first time when he was 5. He was not well behaved, so we quickly left the theater. It was also an early showing, which I also chose because it would not be crowded.yeah its unfortunate to pay $10 to see a movie and have to leave early, but everyone else in the theater also paid to see the movie. It would be unfair to them to have their movie experience ruined.

Parents should not be taking their children to the movies unless they're able to sit through the movie. If they can't, then yeah they're going to have to wait a few months until the movie is out on DVD or streaming.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM

51,036 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I have been to plenty of kid's movies. In just the past 6 months I've seen Spiderman, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Mary Poppins, Lego Movie 2, How to Train Your Dragon 3, Dumbo, and Missing Link. And yes, most children do sit and watch the movie.

I took my nephew to see his first movie when he was 2.5 years old, and he was able to sit through the whole movie without disrupting anyone else. I would not have taken him if I didn't think he could, but I also took him to an early weekend showing and not a crowded Friday night showing.

Another nephew I took to see a movie for the first time when he was 5. He was not well behaved, so we quickly left the theater. It was also an early showing, which I also chose because it would not be crowded.yeah its unfortunate to pay $10 to see a movie and have to leave early, but everyone else in the theater also paid to see the movie. It would be unfair to them to have their movie experience ruined.

Parents should not be taking their children to the movies unless they're able to sit through the movie. If they can't, then yeah they're going to have to wait a few months until the movie is out on DVD or streaming.
He WAS sitting through the movie. He was not misbehaving, he was laughing. Due to his physical disabilities his laugh apparently sounds obnoxious and sounds more like a cry than a laugh. But people keep saying learn to control himself, behave, etc like this child was willfully disrupting people. He was laughing at a funny scene in a Disney movie.

I get it though, my POV about this little boy and his mom. is just very different than yours. As I said we will not agree and it’s pointless for me to keep trying to defend it.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times
Quote:
He WAS sitting through the movie. He was not misbehaving, he was laughing. Due to his physical disabilities his laugh apparently sounds obnoxious and sounds more like a cry than a laugh. But people keep saying learn to control himself, behave, etc like this child was willfully disrupting people. He was laughing at a funny scene in a Disney movie.

I get it though, my POV about this little boy and his mom. is just very different than yours. As I said we will not agree and it’s pointless for me to keep trying to defend it.
I don't think anyone here thinks he was willfully disrupting anyone at all.

But if he is going to be in public places where the audience needs to hear the performance, his mother and other caregivers need to teach him to be a little quieter. Just as you teach children with cognitive disabilities appropriate touch and personal space behavior.

If he understands the plot of a disney movie enough to laugh at the funny parts, he's quite capable of understanding "shhh, be a little quieter, people are trying to listen".

And that's a skill he's going to need to interact with peers in later years.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,927,320 times
Quote:
He WAS behaving, he was giggling, but due to his disability his laugh sounds like a crying baby apparently. I disagree completely that this child needs to be treated as an outcast of society because he is disabled. He is part of the world and should be allowed to be out in it. And the rest of us should make him feel welcome in it. We should have enough Grace to do that, IMO.

If it were an adult movie or a nice restaurant I would feel differently, but a Disney movie normally has kids laughing and screaming and being noisy. There are 2 year olds, 3 year olds, 5 year olds. A Disney movie is not the movie to go to if you expect people to be quiet. I've been to plenty. And I am not talking about misbehaving, they aren't, they are just being kids. As was this poor child and his mom who just wants him to give him as normal a life as possible.
As Minervah said, this was a Friday night and you don't know that there aren't adults out there who want to watch a nice Friday evening movie.

Timing is everything and as Minervah pointed out, on a Saturday afternoon maybe this kid wouldn't have even been noticed. This mother might have picked the one and only time a theater of children were actually sitting quietly watching the movie, too. Miracles can happen.

Also on a Saturday afternoon, the ticket prices may be lower than on a Friday evening. If you pay $12 for a Friday evening movie, no matter what it is, you're going to be upset if you can't watch it in peace.

I remember going to watch How the West Was Won in the theater. That was in 1962, so I would have been 6 at the time. I managed to sit quietly through the whole movie. I remember that, because it was the only thing I remember my parents ever praising me for. Plus I was interested in the movie (I liked the horses), even if I didn't understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The screen would have been in front of him, not up on the ceiling.
Well, no, I always sit in the second or third row when I go to movies and believe me, you have to look up.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, no, I always sit in the second or third row when I go to movies and believe me, you have to look up.
I guess it depends on the theater. The screen is pretty much straight ahead when in the front of any of the AMC theaters I go to.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Except people have commented saying they were in the theater and it wasn't just a laugh once or twice. He was being loud through the entire movie to the point where people sitting next to him could not hear and follow along with what was happening in the movie.

You weren't there so you are not able to say what actually happened.

It doesn't matter that it was just a Disney movie. It's not like Disney movies are discounted showings. It still cost the others in that theater $11 to see the movie. A family of 4 would have spent $44 before even buying snacks. Why should they something like $60 to see a movie they can't even hear? How is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events