Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He's already taking up twice as much fuel by being twice as heavy. You think he should have two seats to my one? Explain.
Sure, if they pay double, they should get two seats' worth of space. That would be the equivalent of selling two tickets to people who are 100 lbs each.

You use one seat and use up 10 gallons of gas (for simplicity, I'm sticking to easy numbers). Your ticket is $100.
Your 200-lb cousin uses two seats and uses up 20 gallons of gas. His ticket is $200. Alternatively, the airline could have found two more people who were 100 lbs each and given them those two seats and allocated 10 gallons of gas to each of them.

It all evens out. And actually, unless your cousin is also eating two meals and getting two drinks every time you get one, the airline is making out on the deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...ing-passengers

Interesting. I wonder if this would eventually be used to start charging heavier passengers an additional fee
They do this for helicopter flights now - at least in Maui. It's used for seating position to be sure the helicopter is balanced. Depending on the operator, you also get charged like an extra $25 or something if you're over 250 pounds, etc. - that's for an hour ride.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
So how does this making heavier people pay extra thing work? Over 150? Over 200? Over their recommended weight for their height? Over average? Someone who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet is probably 5'0 or close to it. My husband is over a foot taller than that and weighs almost double. But hes not overweight. So he has to pay double your fare simply because he exists? What do you intend to shame out of him?
So, weight is only important if it is to SHAME people? Well, weight is money when it comes to fuel. Makes no difference if you are a "fit" 200 pounds or are 5'0" and weigh 200! WTH?!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...ing-passengers

Interesting. I wonder if this would eventually be used to start charging heavier passengers an additional fee
This is nothing new. I fly on tiny commuter flights all the time and we have to physically get on a scale to make sure the plane isn't overweight and doesn't crash. If there is too much weight, the cargo goes and the people stay. This is in rural Alaska.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
The passenger weight is barely worth recording. Most airlines are making the big bucks from the "supply transport- business cargo . From a to b". The passengers get ousted if they find the cargo ratio of items is higher on certain flights.
There is more money in cargo fees. Stick with that instead of making commercial flights a passenger monitoring.

I was re routed during an international flight because they got a rush orders on a cargo needing to get to its final destination. Granted five other passengers also got ousted. I loved staying over though in the town..all paid by the airline sometimes they do right by the consumer.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:10 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The passenger weight is barely worth recording. Most airlines are making the big bucks from the "supply transport- business cargo . From a to b". The passengers get ousted if they find the cargo ratio of items is higher on certain flights. .
Which certain flights would these be? This doesn't sound correct to me. Most airlines make more money flying passengers because they fly a lot more of them than they do cargo.

Regarding passenger weights, small air taxis here in Alaska do weigh people, or ask for their honest weight, as others have mentioned. That's because an average American weight isn't so useful when you just have a few people and extreme outliers could make a dramatic difference in the load weight. Otherwise the big jets do just fine using average weight of citizen. It would be interesting to compare average weight used in Africa or Europe to the US. No doubt we're significantly higher.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

It will never happen. The cost in equipment, personnel, and time delays would massively overwhelm any savings.

But if Startup Dude can delude a bunch of clueless investors into not seeing the glaringly obvious flaws in this proposal - and I wouldn't be surprised if he can - then he might make personally some coin even as the idea goes nowhere.
I agree! It might be a good concept but between what you said and how people will be SO OFFENDED getting on a scale OH NOSE!! that this idea will never fly. (sorry for the pun)

Old 04-20-2019, 10:59 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The passenger weight is barely worth recording. Most airlines are making the big bucks from the "supply transport- business cargo . From a to b". The passengers get ousted if they find the cargo ratio of items is higher on certain flights.
There is more money in cargo fees. Stick with that instead of making commercial flights a passenger monitoring.

I was re routed during an international flight because they got a rush orders on a cargo needing to get to its final destination. Granted five other passengers also got ousted. I loved staying over though in the town..all paid by the airline sometimes they do right by the consumer.
Cargo as you are speaking about it is typically priced by weight

Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Okay, but then the 200 lb passenger should also get twice as much space as you.
Do you think that a 200 lbs person takes up more or less space than a 100 lbs person? The obvious answer is the 200 lb person takes up more space irrespective of the fact they may each have only one seat

Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
It seems to me you should have a "max weight" that includes you, your carry ons, and your luggage. How you divy it up should be up to you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events