Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He's already taking up twice as much fuel by being twice as heavy. You think he should have two seats to my one? Explain.
Actually, he isn't. The majority of the fuel is spent hauling the aircraft (and, ironically, more fuel) around. Passenger weight is a fairly small percentage of the entire aircraft's weight. Think of t this way: Flying an empty plane would still consume fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

<lots of solid math>

That's about a quarter of one-percent. The obvious problem is that the expense required would probably eat that up - and remember, that final figure includes three distinct generous estimates that very likely overstate it.

This.
Won't.
Happen.
That's how I see it, as well. However... There is a discernible difference in take-off weight between a planeful of ballet dancers and a planeful of sumo wrestlers, and while I don't see an individual surcharge/discount being applicable, I could easily see the airlines pushing the pilots to take that into account for their reserve fuel calculations. Stories of pilots feeling pushed to take on as little as fuel as possible aren't rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 10,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, I guess you do not realize there can be a large weight difference between two perfectly, non-fat and fit people?

I am 6'4", my wife is 5", we do not weigh the same, not even close, neither one of us is even close to being overweight (as in being fat).
If my wife was 5" tall I would probably just sneak her onto the plane in my pocket or something instead of buying her a ticket.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:35 PM

277 posts, read 292,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They do this for helicopter flights now - at least in Maui. It's used for seating position to be sure the helicopter is balanced. Depending on the operator, you also get charged like an extra $25 or something if you're over 250 pounds, etc. - that's for an hour ride.
They make it even easier on the mule rides to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. If you’re over 200 pounds, you don’t go. At any price. It’s called cruelty to animals.

Last edited by Peester; 04-29-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Funny that people think that overweight people are somehow “getting over” on them because they pay the same price for an airline ticket than thinner folks do. One of the silliest notions I’ve ever heard!

Old 05-04-2019, 02:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Here we go with this "shaming" nonsense again.
Look -- if you're fat, you're FAT. Let's stop acting like being overweight is not a problem. It is. If it incurs additional fees on something like a passenger airplane, then so be it. It's a very minimal consequence when compared to the list of issues one will face with being unhealthy.
Hey it's the company that said it...I just quoted them....it is what it is.
If the passenger fits in one seat, how is their weight any concern of yours anyways?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Funny that people think that overweight people are somehow “getting over” on them because they pay the same price for an airline ticket than thinner folks do. One of the silliest notions I’ve ever heard!

There's no notion sillier than yours--which is, apparently, that a passenger spilling out of the ONE seat he paid for, and into or onto the seat of someone else, who fits in his seat, should only be paying for one seat.

Yup. That is silly.

P.S. Those obese passengers ARE, in fact, "getting over" on them--in every sense of the word.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There's no notion sillier than yours--which is, apparently, that a passenger spilling out of the ONE seat he paid for, and into or onto the seat of someone else, who fits in his seat, should only be paying for one seat.

Yup. That is silly.

P.S. Those obese passengers ARE, in fact, "getting over" on them--in every sense of the word.
Then they better get their $$$$ together (the airlines) because America is apparently getting bigger, and bigger and bigger...even to the point where it's being called an epidemic of obesity.
The airlines need to quit being so greedy, and start making accommodations for heavier people....surely they realize that....that's probably why they want to base seat charges on weight.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
How about: You pay X price to ride on the plane. Or you can be weighed and if you are found to be below a threshold you get a discount. Is it fat shaming when a clothing manufacturer charges for larger sizes?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM

70 posts, read 32,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
They make it even easier on the mule rides to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. If you’re over 200 pounds, you don’t go. At any price. It’s called cruelty to animals.
I hiked it myself with my pack. No need for a mule ride like those p——-sies.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Actually, he isn't. The majority of the fuel is spent hauling the aircraft (and, ironically, more fuel) around. Passenger weight is a fairly small percentage of the entire aircraft's weight. Think of t this way: Flying an empty plane would still consume fuel.
Exactly. What I'm wondering, is why airlines are nickeling and dime-ing passengers to this extent, as if they can no longer afford to carry passengers?! Parts of the First World are getting more 3rd-World by the day, it seems. Seriously, this is bizarre. But I guess it's a discount-airline start-up, not an established carrier. Maybe this is the wave of the future for that class of airline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events