Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It seems to me you should have a "max weight" that includes you, your carry ons, and your luggage. How you divy it up should be up to you.
I think that would be fair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
What it will be is there will be a cap, say 250lbs, and anything over that will be an extra charge. When you go buy your ticket, it will ask your weight, and it will only be an issue if you did not list correctly your weight. So basically, it will be like baggage.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't think my idea is so "out there". Take a few seats out and make the plane automatically lighter.
How much more money would you PERSONALLY be willing to spend for a plane with fewer seats?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Do you think that a 200 lbs person takes up more or less space than a 100 lbs person? The obvious answer is the 200 lb person takes up more space irrespective of the fact they may each have only one seat
Sure, so if a person pays double what another person pays, their seat size should be commensurate.

Considering seats right now are supposedly sized for an average person, if a smaller person is paying less than average because they're small, perhaps the airline should provide proportionately smaller seats as well. After all, weight isn't actually the current limitation on how many passengers can ride - it's how many people can be packed into seats that determines whether a flight is full. So why give a small person extra legroom or hip space they're not paying for, when you could stuff in a second small person and sell another discounted ticket?

We're being fair here and just focusing on cost, right?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Sure, so if a person pays double what another person pays, their seat size should be commensurate.
That’s not how it works in terms of cost to fly. 200 lb person does in fact take up more space even with a single seat and also would theoretically reduce the amount of cargo an airline could carry vs a 100 lb passenger

Quote:
Considering seats right now are supposedly sized for an average person, if a smaller person is paying less than average because they're small, perhaps the airline should provide proportionately smaller seats as well. After all, weight isn't actually the current limitation on how many passengers can ride - it's how many people can be packed into seats that determines whether a flight is full. So why give a small person extra space they're not paying for, when you could stuff in a second small person and sell another discounted ticket?
I’m not sure if you fully understand why it’s weight that’s the issue not number of seats or size of the seats

It’s also not feasible to have specific sizes seats leaving a greater opportunity to have unsold seats when you don’t have enough smaller people to fill the small seats, that’s not the issue however

Old 04-20-2019, 01:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Seats ARE small and packed too closely. Do I want to pay more for more room? I can if I want on most airlines already.

I'm petite and I am crammed into the space, which is ridiculous. Sometimes I pay for the roomier seats, sometimes I don't, depends on the flight and my budget. My late husbands shoulder width was greater than the seat width by about 4 inches.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-20-2019, 01:55 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Smart.. they should have a fatty section where they have to pay for larger seats.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 PM

609 posts, read 506,241 times
Great idea. Why should I pay the same as someone who weights twice as me or half my weight? I weight 165lbs.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
Airlines should simply price their tickets according to a passenger's weight, including baggage -- instead of $150 a ticket for all, charge $1 per pound. Prior to boarding, everyone steps onto the scale.

Anyone who "underestimated" their body weight gets fined $50 or gets kicked out of their seat.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Baggage gets weighed. Passengers should also get weighed. I'm 100 pounds soak-n-wet. Why shouldn't someone who weighs three or four times that not pay more for the ride?
Because you’re buying a seat/space on a plane. Regardless of 100 or 300 pounds you still take up a seat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events